Where to buy an electric bike in Chania?

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
johnny

Where to buy an electric bike in Chania?

Postby johnny » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:37 pm

Can anyone recommend a cycle dealer in the Chania area who sells new bikes with electric motor assistance e.g. Powabyke, Wisper Bikes?

Many thanks,

johnny

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:38 pm

Whether or not they sell electric bikes I don't know but there are a couple of biggish bike shops I found helpful a year or so ago and both easy to find.

One is on Apokoronu - as you go along the road from the central market end it's on the right just after the second set of lights [with the Marinopoulos supermarket [formerly the Apollon cinema] near the corner]. With a bit of luck you'll be able to park in Apokoronou within about 100m of the shop.

For the other shop turn right at the Marinopoulos lights into Markou Botsari and it's on the right about 100m before the 5th [I think] set of lights at Partheniou Kelaidi. You may be able to park in the street but, if not, turn right at the lights. There's a car park on the corner and the entrance is about 50m along. It'll cost €2 or 3 for an hour or so. [If you get to the Lasis private clinic - used to be Gavrilakis - you've gone just too far.]

P.S. Have you asked in the bike shop in Kalyves? I've never seen an electric bike there but he may be able to get one and I've always found the owner helpful.

paulh

Postby paulh » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:15 pm

On Akrotiri next to the IKTEO opposite the army camp on the way to the airport

johnny

Postby johnny » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:05 pm

Thank you both for your very helpful responses.

I will check out the locations you have suggested when I am over in April.

johnny

kvsteele

Postby kvsteele » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:23 pm

HI Johnny...could you please post any information re cost etc, any regulations about putting these bikes on the road etc,when you find out from these places. Thanks.
Moved onto Crete finally...It's been a long wait

kvsteele

Postby kvsteele » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:02 pm

HI Johnny, thought you might be interested in this website....www.ecycle.gr you will find a list of dealers and one of them is in Heraklion. The address and telephone number is given, couldn't find any prices though. Why do they do that?
Moved onto Crete finally...It's been a long wait

paulh

Postby paulh » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:25 pm

prices elsewhere on the web range between 500 and 1000 dollars

http://www.nextag.com/electric-bicycle/stores-html

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:42 am

paulh wrote:prices elsewhere on the web range between 500 and 1000 dollars

http://www.nextag.com/electric-bicycle/stores-html

So that would translate to between 2000 and 3000 Euro in Crete?

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:54 am

According to a leading foreign exchange web site US$500 = €359.609 [mid-market rate] so ± about 2%

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:46 pm

Filippos.. think tongue, cheek.

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:21 pm

Mmmm. Should have realised as it was Warwick. Bearing in mind the time my excuse is fatigue and alcohol.

footscapes

Postby footscapes » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:49 pm

If you feel confident about assembling the bike and can live with any warranty issues, you will probably save a considerable amount by buying online. Echoing the tongue in cheek comment above, I've looked at ebike prices here and they are outrageously more expensive than mainland Europe. Amazon UK do a range of Powabyke, Izip and Cyclamatic ebikes which qualify for the free Super Saver delivery to Crete. You could also try Chain Reaction Cycles who want only £40 on top of the purchase price for delivering one of these retro-handsome Schwinns to Crete http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=1452

I use Chain Reaction quite a lot for tools, clothes and components (admittedly nothing as big as a bike), and they have never let me down with secure delivery to Crete.

Paul

johnny

Electric Power Bikes

Postby johnny » Thu May 05, 2011 7:24 pm

I visited the small Electric Power Bikes showroom and workshop last week. There is a large sign so it is easy to find opposite the entrance to the NATO base on the way to Chania airport, on the left just before the roundabout where you leave the main road.

The guy was very helpful and knowledgeable and spoke good English. There was a small range of bikes available, a mid-range mountain bike was priced at 650 euros inc all taxes, which was less than I was expecting.

They have an informative website www.epb.gr which can be viewed in English.

I shall certainly be going back for a proper look and test ride when I am next over in July, and not in such a rush to catch a flight.

Worth a visit if you are interested in an electric bike to use on Crete.

johnny

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu May 05, 2011 10:25 pm

There's often an example of the e-Chopper parked outside one of the cafes in the square at the end of Leather Lane in Chania. Walk from the end of Leather Lane to the back of the Cathedral on the side furthest away from the Cathedral.

Warwick

e-biker

Postby e-biker » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:07 am

Kalimera Johny, are you looking for an e-bike (electric bike) or for a Pedelec? Electric bikes are almost impossible to find, Pedelec's are easier. If you can not succeed finding an e-bike / Pedelec in the western part of Crete, then you should try Olympic Bike in Rethymnon http://www.olympicbike.com/en/informati ... crete.html They speak english very well as they deal with a lot of tourists from the UK. By the way they sell and rent these types of bikes, so you could test a model first before you buy one. And generally don't get fooled by prices. You always get what you pay for and I am not even getting started with service and spare parts ... A mid range e-bike starts at approx EUR 1500,- and a top model will set you back at least EUR 4000,- :twisted:

Return to “General Discussion & News”