HOUSE PETS PROTECTION and CARE. New law.

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
PLUTO

HOUSE PETS PROTECTION and CARE. New law.

Postby PLUTO » Mon May 16, 2011 9:40 am

This week, the Minister Milena Apostolaki of the Ministry of Rural Development and Food presents an updated law concerning house pets, which includes all the aspects of pet caring and identity, travel, abuse as well as the problem of stray and circus animals and new regulations concerning shows. A short overview:
1. Abuse: Pet abuse or torture will be punished with a fine from 5.000 to 30.000 € for each animal. This includes having the dog attached to a chain. The unlicensed use of an animal in circus or theater: 20.000 € / animal. Boats with no appropriate kennels: 5.000 €. Organisation of shows without license: 5.000 €. Breeding and selling without license: 3.000 €. Licensed breeders are forbidden to sell pets under the age of 8 weeks. At last! Fine: 1.000 €. Abandoning a pet: 300 €.
2. Protection: Animals under 10 kg are allowed in public transports in an adapted cage. Fine: 300 € if not in a suitable cage. Social dogs (for blind people, etc.) are allowed inside. On public roads: obligation to collect the excrements. Fine: 100 €
Docked dogs and dogs with cut ears are not allowed to participate to shows.
3. Identification: Dogs and cats have to be microchipped (300 € / animal if not). A fine of 300 € is due if entering Greece with a pet which is not microchipped and the owners have the obligation to let it done.
A step forward!

Eleni13

Postby Eleni13 » Mon May 16, 2011 10:41 am

A giant leap, rather than a step. I hope it works!

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Mon May 16, 2011 11:22 am

Any idea when it will come into force?
Living in Crete!!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon May 16, 2011 12:01 pm

I wonder how they will deal with the grey areas?

We feed a number of feral cats. We paid to have them neutered, we treat them for ticks, fleas and worms. We provide them with shelter. They are not, however, our pets. They are strictly outside. They come and go as they please. We didn't buy them. They simply turned up and needed help.

Are we supposed to get them micro-chipped? They are not ours?

Warwick

greekboy

Postby greekboy » Mon May 16, 2011 12:27 pm

What department is going to police this ?
Fred

Jean

Postby Jean » Mon May 16, 2011 1:46 pm

What department is going to police this ?

Possibly the same people who are enforcing the smoking ban in cafés and restaurants.

moved 2 crete

animal laws

Postby moved 2 crete » Mon May 16, 2011 5:18 pm

sounds good to me, but unenforceable, like a lot of laws, good well inentioned but would need a new army of officers to enforce it with the state of the Greek economy, I cannot see this as realistic. Maybe disaffected neighbours would inform on each other, that being a realistic option, we like Kilkis feed strays and deflea, tics etc, but they are NOT OURS. :?
Dave H

PLUTO

Postby PLUTO » Tue May 17, 2011 9:32 am

I have a partial answer to some of the questions.
1. Stray dogs and cats are the responsibility of the local authorities. They will have to take care of them, particularly they will have to chase them from or take them away from the neighborhood of hospitals, schools, sport centers, highways, ports and airports. There are about 300.000 stray dogs in Greece. Some are adopted, some are taken into a shelter for a while, the rest will stay on the streets and in the nature. In the years to come, their number should diminish drastically, thanks to the new measures, amongst which the obligation to microchip each dog, which becomes traceable and under the entire responsibility of its owner.
2. Stray dogs and cats, if not adopted, are not under the responsibility of a casual caring person. There is a campaign going on for months, allowing people to bring an adopted stray animal to a municipal vet or to the local Direction of Agricultural Development (Διεύθυνση Αγροτικής Ανάπτυξης) to let it microchipped and/or neutered. One pays only the cost of the microchip, nothing else.

A child learns to crawl before it can walk, after what, very quickly, it learns to run. Regarding pet animals, Greeks are crawling for the moment, but they will be walking and running very soon.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue May 17, 2011 11:13 am

Free neutering would certainly be a step forward. We have had six cats neutered so far, three males and three females, at an average cost getting on for 100 Euro each. The females are more expensive than the males ( aren't they always?). The vet did give us a discount, because they were feral cats, otherwise it would have been quite a bit more, but it still mounts up. Costs about 70 Euro per year for Frontline. I don't bother to work out what the food costs. We use a mixture of dry and tinned, all Lidl's "best".

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Pets

Postby Jeffstclair » Tue May 17, 2011 1:17 pm

I think that this is a good step forward , but very hard to enforce.
We cant make it right overnight for all the dogs and cats in Greece. But we can make it right for the ones we come incontact with. By the way on the subject of feeding, my local butcher used to put bones in the bin ! now I get them from him and stick em in me freezer . So ask yours ... Jeff

Return to “General Discussion & News”