SIGH ...

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Carolina
Site Admin

SIGH ...

Postby Carolina » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:16 pm

The spammers are hard at work and seem to sneak out under the cover of dark. Unfortunately I don't have the time to catch offensive spam as it happens, so I've now enabled the board so that only registered users can post.

There also seems to be a glitch that you have to log in twice. I'm trying to sort it ? Thanks.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:33 pm

Thanks to all those who sent me messages today about the automated spammers getting in again. Still trying to stop them, and it doesn't help when we have a powercut and I can't get on the forum all morning!

Graham

Postby Graham » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:56 pm

May I suggest Carol that if you have the capability to restrict any new members after registration from posting until you can send them an email for a rsponse. This way you'll have their IP address with a name. If they post spam you can then block their IP address and since most people have Broadband now the IP address most always stays the same per PC. Dial-up is different. You can also tell by funny sign-in names if they're legit before allowing them access to the forum.

Ed

Graham

Postby Graham » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:11 pm

Carol, as the forum admin you should have a block showing in the upper right hand corner with 'IP' in it. By clicking on that icon you can then get the IP address and from there block it.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:16 pm

Thanks Graham I have done just that!

Return to “General Discussion & News”