Greek Census

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.

Did you complete a census

Yes
75%
No
25%

Total votes: 28

john4d

Greek Census

Postby john4d » Mon May 30, 2011 5:22 pm

Now that the Census has officially finished, how complete was it? I have not been censused, how many more were missed? Perhaps it was just me as I'm easily overlooked! Perhaps we can have a straw poll. After all the purpose of a census is to help in the planning for future services. If we haven't been counted how can we be catered for?

John
There's no such thing as a bad taste joke

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Mon May 30, 2011 6:01 pm

We had people around about 2 weeks ago and they filled the form in for us and gave us the 'tickets' to prove that we'd done it.

We then went to pay the rent about a week later and our landlord gave us a similar 'ticket' and said that we should give that to the census people when they came round. We told him we'd already done it and he didn't say what we should do with the extra 'ticket'!
Living in Crete!!

Kathleen

Postby Kathleen » Mon May 30, 2011 6:16 pm

Just wondering if there is any any sign our house has had a visit in my absence. Should be something in the mail box if it has!

Kathleen

moved 2 crete

census

Postby moved 2 crete » Mon May 30, 2011 9:07 pm

no one came to us, but we live off the beaten track.
Dave H

scooby

Postby scooby » Mon May 30, 2011 10:14 pm

Hot girl came round and did ours phew! glad I was in :lol:
Men in suits will always make you pay.

Al

Postby Al » Mon May 30, 2011 10:40 pm

Nobody came near us, But then our house is still "under construction".

Genevieve

Postby Genevieve » Tue May 31, 2011 7:26 am

They missed us; on the main road in Kalives..

altohb

Postby altohb » Tue May 31, 2011 12:46 pm

We live in the middle of nowhere & they found us!

I was intrigued by some of the questions asked - not sure how knowing where our mothers were living when we were born is useful information - but the recent UK census was weird in places too, so there must be a reason for it somewhere.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Tue May 31, 2011 4:13 pm

The bloke who came to put us on the list had a Google Maps printout of our area. Two weeks before that, another couple of blokes came with same printout and 'identified' us on the map so that the census bloke knew our names when he called. Quite efficient I thought.

Missed friends of ours on the road between Plaka and Kambia though!!
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

katowales

Postby katowales » Tue May 31, 2011 5:49 pm

We are 'off the beaten track' and still under construction - but we got censused!

I think they were making up the questions as they went along - and the woman that came (ferried by her father, none too happy, and young child in toe) gave up trying to identify my degree level 'profession' as I could not describe it in Greek (I did offer to google it - but she seemed eager to get away, did the form filling in the front of their truck cab even though we invited her in!) So who knows what she has me down as :? All seemed a bit haphazard to us - and don't know what happened to the "forms in different languages" - ours were in Greek and filled in for us. Have to admit also to having got a bit miffed about her insisting on speaking to 'the man of the house' first :x

Carol & Steve

greekboy

Postby greekboy » Tue May 31, 2011 6:16 pm

The lady who saw me was very helpful and she explained everything to us, very efficient.
Fred

altohb

Postby altohb » Tue May 31, 2011 8:09 pm

katowales wrote:We are 'off the beaten track' and still under construction - but we got censused!

I think they were making up the questions as they went along - and the woman that came (ferried by her father, none too happy, and young child in toe) gave up trying to identify my degree level 'profession' as I could not describe it in Greek (I did offer to google it - but she seemed eager to get away, did the form filling in the front of their truck cab even though we invited her in!) So who knows what she has me down as :? All seemed a bit haphazard to us - and don't know what happened to the "forms in different languages" - ours were in Greek and filled in for us. Have to admit also to having got a bit miffed about her insisting on speaking to 'the man of the house' first :x

Carol & Steve

The chap who came to us spoke good English, but the form was all in Greek, and he filled it in - having got over the confusion of putting our names in the "Greek" way round! We weren't asked what type of degree or otherwise we had - just whether we had one, and which university. It would be very interesting to see what the statistics office (or whoever they are) makes of the variety of ways in which the census officers have interpreted what we (foreigners) have told them.......

moggieman

census

Postby moggieman » Tue May 31, 2011 9:41 pm

Had some great fun with the guy filling in ours...

When it came to qualifications L.I.M.F totally confused him....

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue May 31, 2011 10:28 pm

I don't think there was ever any suggestion that the forms would be in anything but Greek? Just some general information on the web site in English. The lady who came to us spoke perfect English.

I don't think that they care about the detail of the degree, simply the highest level of education achieved, e.g. High School, Diploma, Bachelor Degree, Masters Degree, Doctorate.

The lady who came to us simply asked questions and filled in the form according to the answers. From previous experience ten years ago this is normal, not just because we are foreigners. All my Greek neighbours were treated the same way.

All English information, e.g. English names, UK place names etc were filled in using the Latin alphabet rather than transliterating into the Greek alphabet. I actually filled in some of the information in these cases since it was easier than spelling it out.

Warwick

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:41 am

Kilkis wrote:All English information, e.g. English names, UK place names etc were filled in using the Latin alphabet rather than transliterating into the Greek alphabet. I actually filled in some of the information in these cases since it was easier than spelling it out.

All of our English information was translated into Greek by the person filling out our form!
Living in Crete!!

Return to “General Discussion & News”