DIY shops

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
moggieman

Postby moggieman » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:50 pm

You can't argue from that one instance, or even a few more that we suffer from generally "crazy prices" here.

Come on get in the real world i can find no end of overpriced crazy priced goods here on Crete ranging from tools to food to clothes ect ect
BUT would i leave NO.....[/quote]

Jeffstclair

DIY shops

Postby Jeffstclair » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:31 pm

Al.. I think you put it very well, lots of things I buy in my daily life here are lot cheaper than they are in other countries. And in my view top quality fruit and vegeatables ,cheese , meat ,pulses ,etc and one has to see this as part of a whole picture good food is cheap, wine is free (in my case) power tools expensive(I've still got those for my old life) , nails, screws and stuff like that very very cheap ,paint about the same as the UK ,brushes, welding rods,plumbing fittings, half price..... jeff .. sorry moderator getting way off topic...

Al

Postby Al » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:19 pm

Thanks Jeff for reminding me of these good things. We also have our own oil, and vegetables and in a while hope to be raising chickens. In five years here I've had some good times and some excellent times - life has never been less than exciting most of the time. We don't envisage returning to Scotland - unless something apocalyptic happens. (Cue another grump about the economy!!!)

Anyway, my original advice stands - there ain't no DIY sheds - so shop local and shop around. Our pool tiles cost 14Euros a metre after a search of eight shops. The starting price was around 36Euros. (Every little helps.)

magog

Postby magog » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:04 pm

@ Jeffstclair
Top quality fruit, veg, meat and pulses - you're having a laugh!!
The fruit and veg are sprayed with so many organophosphates that most other countries refuse to accept our exports - the EU picks up the tab.
The meat reared here is full of antibiotics and growth hormones - check out Crete's biggest supplier on the net. It's then butchered like a chain-saw massacre.
The pulses are almost all imported and repackaged.
Take off those rose-tinted glasses!!

moggieman

Postby moggieman » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:52 pm

Do you wonder why they start at (tiles) 36 Euros. So when they go down to 14 YOU think you are getting a bargain.

Tiles in U.K can be purchased for £5 a sq metre (and less) so WHERES the bargain???? Once again double the price.!!!

BIGGEST wish for Crete PLEASE open a B&Q or a Machine Mart. You would see the lines a mile long......

Would it open some eyes to competitive trading. YOU BET IT WOULD.

Barbary Coaster

Postby Barbary Coaster » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:09 pm

Al wrote:Let's not get our knickers in a twist shall we? The international pricing of commodities is a complicated matter. A recent article in the Telegraph pointed out that the exact same item sold in different countries in Europe for vastly differing prices - a coat ranged from 50Euros to 150Euros, and no the cheapest was not the UK and the dearest Greece.

Some prices here are higher, some are lower. I accept that a Karcher pressure washer is much more expensive here than in B&Q. You can't argue from that one instance, or even a few more that we suffer from generally "crazy prices" here.

Someone once said that "Life's too short to stuff a mushroom." When we buy stuff we consider a lot of factors - the need, the shopping experience, value for money, quality etc. If it's cheaper to buy from the UK, or the USA for that matter we do it.

Prices here are what they are - we cant do anything about them - so why go on about them in a forum.

Al

If you look back through this thread, you were the one who first brought the subject up and mentioned prices

Bob
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:59 pm

Magog ... we clearly live in a very diferent Crete ,the meat I buy is grown by a neighbour,he don't buy growth hormones his sheep and goats graze the hills and mountians around our village. his wife makes the cheese that I eat .
The small amount of fruit and veg that we buy comes from local growers, all seasonal stuff and of a very high quality and not sprayed to death fresh and with flavour , oh and the pulses are not packaged at all they are in the growers sack on the floor of the shop ,because turn over is high the beans and stuff like that are much fresher than you ever see or taste in the UK.... ps I'm much too old and ugly to wear rose tinted specs, I think they suit younger folk......Jeff :wink: :wink:

fuzer

Postby fuzer » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:13 pm

When I part with my hard earned cash I do feel a little bit aggrieved knowing that I am baling out the bloody Bankers and banks.
How do countries such as Greece - Ireland - Spain - Portugal who rely mostly on Tourism pay back the bale out money when the interest rates are so high and punitive. 2012 will be the year when would be tourists, many who visited Crete this year, will not visit because of the cost of flights and prices generally. The hand that feeds them has been bitten off.
The British lie down and take it - while the richest in UK have gotten richer and the bankers bonuses have doubled or trebled.
WE have come full circle (1) The burglar who stole the Jewellery, who is a rotten thug who needs locking up. and (2) The rich bankers who rip us of in legalised theft are in my opinion no better than the burglar. and should be locked up.
ALWAYS FINISH WHAT YOU STAR

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:59 pm

I used to work in management in one of the major 'sheds' in the UK so know a little about retail policies in such businesses in the UK [and it's much the same in other places] and you're right with
moggieman wrote:Do you wonder why they start at (tiles) 36 Euros.....

Our directors' mantra was, "People buy discounts." We'd get in items that went on sale in a few remote stores at stupidly high prices. One or two might be bought by folks with more money than sense. After the few weeks required to comply with the law these items would then appear in all the high turnover stores discounted at 25%; a few weeks later the discount would be 40% and if we were stuck with any a month later the discount would go to 50% or even 60%. We employed many senior managers who had worked for one or more of the other big 'sheds' and all operate in the same way. It was a rare event if anything was sold with less than 80% profit even after the discounts. Being the biggest by some margin B & Q could buy in at an estimated 6% less than us but usually retailed at prices only about 1% lower than ours.

moggieman wrote:Tiles in U.K can be purchased for £5 a sq metre (and less) so
Correct. We sold tons of tiles at £5/sq.m. and lots of customers claimed they could get cheaper. Of course there has to be an ultimate bottom price but you must have heard the phrase, "You can always buy cheaper." The £5 tiles were rubbish - little better than rich tea biscuits. So thin you could hold them up to the light and see the outline of your fingers through them; almost impossible to cut straight or 'nibble', broke easily even when gently pressing them into soft adhesive. Nice mosaic effect. Came from the same Taiwanese supplier used by B & Q and Wickes.

You wouldn't believe our buying in prices for leading brand power tools let alone the cheapies - one of our best shop floor people used to sell those [sanders, drills etc. at a tenner - discounted from £15, of course] on the basis, "If it lasts one job it'll have paid for itself." Cost us under £3, shipped from China.

I resent paying over the odds but I've often found cheap ends up expensive but if I don't like the price in shop A I'll find somewhere more reasonable, including importing if necessary.

magog

Postby magog » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:44 pm

@Jeffstclair
Love the idea that pulses in a sack on the floor must be grown locally...yeah.
You're quite right, of course, that everyone on Crete should have a neighbour who kills the odd pig and offers you a leg - and there are some people that have been spotted buying eggs in shops. Have they no shame?
There are over 700,000 full-time residents on this island, they don't have the luxury of being well-heeled, idiotic expats.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:12 am

Magog, you've just about crossed that line and will be sent back to Interkriti if you persist.

It doesn't exist anymore? Exactly.

Barbary Coaster

Postby Barbary Coaster » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:58 am

Jeffstclair wrote: The small amount of fruit and veg that we buy comes from local growers, all seasonal stuff and of a very high quality and not sprayed to death fresh and with flavour

I really don't understand how you can be so sure that they are not sprayed - do you stand guard 24/7 over the farm/allotment ??

From our window we can see crops being sprayed regularly.

However we always buy local produce when possible, but are sensible enough to realise that they could have been sprayed at some stage.

Bob
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:53 am

Let me clarify, I did'nt say they were not sprayed I said they were not sprayed to death . in answer to another post about Cretean produce .
Infact I've just got back from spraying me spuds...... Jeff

scooby

Postby scooby » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:34 am

magog wrote:@Jeffstclair
Love the idea that pulses in a sack on the floor must be grown locally...yeah.
You're quite right, of course, that everyone on Crete should have a neighbour who kills the odd pig and offers you a leg - and there are some people that have been spotted buying eggs in shops. Have they no shame?
There are over 700,000 full-time residents on this island, they don't have the luxury of being well-heeled, idiotic expats.
Like I have mentioned before magog. You are just a wind up merchant with nothing helpful or constructive to say.

fuzer

Postby fuzer » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:59 pm

I am an Ex Pat - I may be "idiotic" at times - but I certainly am not "well heeled" - how very dare you ????
ALWAYS FINISH WHAT YOU STAR

Return to “General Discussion & News”