DIY shops

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
moggieman

Postby moggieman » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:40 pm

Al How can you say like for like B&Q is over priced????

Karcher power washer 160 psi B&Q £160 HERE on Crete 850 euros
COME ON get in the real world

Bought one £160 shipped via Nomad £ 30 TOTAL £ 190 THATS just over 200 Euros 1/4 of the price here in Chania

SueA

Postby SueA » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:14 pm

Power washers at Praktiker - 69.90€ for Bosch 100 bar, 79.90€ for Black and Decker 100 bar, 199€ for 130 bar Einhell washer. Does one really need a Karcher?

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:46 pm

More to the point ,does one really need a power washer?.... Jeff

moggieman

Postby moggieman » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:16 pm

YES to both and YES to Karcher the rest are rubbish.!!!!!!

And niether of the ones mentioned are 160 psi

annabanana

Postby annabanana » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:48 pm

Thank you for all replies,but I dont really want a pressure washer ,I was only asking about DIY stores !!! ha ha ha ha :P :lol:

magog

Postby magog » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:15 pm

Some very amusing posts. I still think that if a B&Q, Tesco, Matalan, Primark, Toys'r'us, Pc World and Ann Summers opened just off the national highway, the queues would be long. Maybe I'm pushing it with Ann Summers.

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:15 am

moggieman wrote:AWhat a diffrence it would make to some of the stupid prices here on
Crete. Linked with at least SOME choice......
You obviously haven't found the right shops.

fuzer

Postby fuzer » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:50 am

I have lived here for 3 years and still can not fathom how some shops remain open ?? Clothes shops in Sitia - €29 for one T shirt - IN A SALE ??????
I have never seen customers in these shops. ??
The Mobile Phone shops are always filled with people !!!
Are they registered as "Charity shops" ??
ALWAYS FINISH WHAT YOU STAR

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:21 am

fuzer wrote:I have lived here for 3 years and still can not fathom how some shops remain open ?? Clothes shops in Sitia - €29 for one T shirt - IN A SALE ??????
I have never seen customers in these shops. ??
The Mobile Phone shops are always filled with people !!!
Are they registered as "Charity shops" ??
Because there are people who are, at best, naive or, at worst, stupid enough to spend that sort of money on stuff that might well be made for pence in some Asian or Far Eastern sweat shop.

I have a friend in the UK, highly intelligent and otherwise sensible, who thinks it OK to spend £80 on a bottle of aftershave. His wife regularly spends £40 on miniscule jars of 'anti-aging' cream; as if.

Why do middle-aged [often fat] men pay £60 or more to buy replica team football/rugby shirts more suited for hero worshiping adolescents?

Why do people pay stupid prices to walk around like billboards for some 'designer' range of clothing? I know a Greek navy captain, 35ish, who sulked for days because his mum failed to spend €90 on a belt that had some name or other embossed on it. Poor love; it was his birthday and he had to hold up his jeans with something more utilitarian.

€150 for trainers [sorry, fancy pumps] that'll never see the inside of a gym or go faster than strolling pace?

Thousands for somewhere to carry a hankie and a couple of cosmetics - it can't be stuffed like the average woman's Tardis-like bag 'cos it might get mis-shapen?

I'll refrain from compiling a list that would bore all rigid.

fuzer

Postby fuzer » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:13 am

Very funny fillipos - because its true.
Then, I have worn a Che Guevara T shirt for 25 years which now passes as a self portrait.
I used the Chinese clothes shops but hate it when the sales assistant follows you round the shop from about two feet away. Once I stood staring at a rack of shirts - deliberately - for 10 minutes - the sales girl remained at my side!!
She should wear a suit and an earpiece radio receiver - at least I would look more important.!!
ALWAYS FINISH WHAT YOU STAR

Al

Postby Al » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:19 am

moggieman wrote:Al How can you say like for like B&Q is over priced????

Karcher power washer 160 psi B&Q £160 HERE on Crete 850 euros
COME ON get in the real world

Bought one £160 shipped via Nomad £ 30 TOTAL £ 190 THATS just over 200 Euros 1/4 of the price here in Chania

We did much the same with a Kenwood Chef from John Lewis (Never Knowingly Undersold) and for exactly the same reason. At the same time I bought a Husqvarna chain saw for around 250Euros in Chania and couldn't get even an unbranded equivalent for less than 300Euros in either Alex Pak or Praktiker.

If you compare the "sheds" in one economy with the family businesses in the same economy - then my point stands - the family businesses give better service and sometimes better prices, and they can be haggled down.

These things are often but not always significantly cheaper in the UK market. Amazon, for example, sells Karcher and will deliver to Greece free. I use them occasionally, but always with due thought to the warranty - a UK warranty is rarely valid in another country and some manufacturers models are country specific.

And no, I wouldn't queue for TESCOs ar any other supermarket.

Life is too good here.

moggieman

Postby moggieman » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:17 am

Al
you posted the following

like for like B&Q is over priced????

You then say you ALSO ship in from the U.K.????

If such a fan of local shops and B&Q is overpriced WHY.......

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:22 am

Sorry that last post, I don't think I follow please explain ..Jeff

moggieman

Postby moggieman » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:37 am

al.. posted
B & Q used to be one of my favourite shops until I started to shop for similar stuff here. I discovered that like-for-like, B&Q tends to be overpriced.

Then posted when i pointed out power wasers are 1/4 of the price than here on Crete.

We did much the same with a Kenwood Chef from John Lewis (Never Knowingly Undersold) and for exactly the same reason.

Al

Postby Al » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:42 pm

Let's not get our knickers in a twist shall we? The international pricing of commodities is a complicated matter. A recent article in the Telegraph pointed out that the exact same item sold in different countries in Europe for vastly differing prices - a coat ranged from 50Euros to 150Euros, and no the cheapest was not the UK and the dearest Greece.

Some prices here are higher, some are lower. I accept that a Karcher pressure washer is much more expensive here than in B&Q. You can't argue from that one instance, or even a few more that we suffer from generally "crazy prices" here.

Someone once said that "Life's too short to stuff a mushroom." When we buy stuff we consider a lot of factors - the need, the shopping experience, value for money, quality etc. If it's cheaper to buy from the UK, or the USA for that matter we do it.

Prices here are what they are - we cant do anything about them - so why go on about them in a forum. "Don't sweat the small stuff." And by the way - it's all small stuff.

Return to “General Discussion & News”