The Island: Victoria Hislop

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
rainbowmir

The Island

Postby rainbowmir » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:34 pm

I, like Phaedra and some others was disappointed when I read this book. I thought it was a very good story which could have been better written. And Warwick - yes I have on occasion enjoyed Booker prize winning books, lol: and I do not consider myself a reader of "literature" really.
Miriam

Phaedra

Postby Phaedra » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:57 pm

Retired in Crete wrote:Mrs RIC has read it and enjoyed it - which means it is probably rubbish!

Why visit Spinalonga, which has only been derelict for fifty years when Crete has many other ruins which are thousands of years old?

The east has little to offer, why not visit a nice Venetian port in the west instead, where you can ride in a little carriage and see the sights like a proper tourist?

John

John, you're getting to be quite boring on this matter. Let it drop.

andheath

Postby andheath » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:18 pm

Phaedra, I don't know how you can call John boring...... He is a just a grumpy old guy doing his best to discourage people from visiting the East and there is nothing wrong with that.

Spinalonga, a pile of rocks at the end of a rip off boat trip. People need to know, nothing here in the East worth visiting.
This Cretan Adventure thing is way beyond a joke.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:21 pm

Phaedra wrote:Lot's of badly constructed sentences

Oh? She doesn't, perchance, stick an apostrophe in "lots" does she? :wink:

DJ

Postby DJ » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:34 am

The Island is not a great novel but a very good read enjoyed by many thousands of people. Spinalonga is not a great island but it is an interesting place and a good walk. Anyway, a little cafe in Plaka serves the best coffee I have enjoyed in many years visting Crete.

I agree that this MartinP character is really a complete pain....

Phaedra

Postby Phaedra » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:26 pm

MartinP wrote:
Phaedra wrote:Lot's of badly constructed sentences

Oh? She doesn't, perchance, stick an apostrophe in "lots" does she? :wink:

LOL, MartinP! I think I can be forgiven for this little mistake especially as I'm not making any money from my writing and don't call myself an author.

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:58 pm

Nor are you a self-appointed critic, Phaedra.

Filippos.

Retired in Crete

Postby Retired in Crete » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:12 pm

Filippos

Oh yes she is!
Phaedra wrote:John, you're getting to be quite boring on this matter. Let it drop.

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:02 am

I regard that as legitimate comment, John. Perhaps I should have said "... not a smug sounding nit picker."

Filippos.

Retired in Crete

Postby Retired in Crete » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:24 am

Filippos.

So when Phaedra says
"John, you're getting to be quite boring on this matter. Let it drop."

and you say
"We can do without you bringing your snide "corrections" to this site. What gives you the right to criticise?"

This is "legitimate comment" but if someone else does it, you regard them as "a smug sounding nit picker".

As for your comment "Nor are you a self-appointed critic, Phaedra." Words almost fail me! You obviously did not take the hint (let alone answer) the points in "The Ajectival LFP" post so I will ask you three direct questions:

1) Who are the "we" in "we can do without ............"?
2) What gives you the right to criticise? (The same question you gave to MartinP)
3) When did you become a moderator and guardian of this site?

There is another thread currently running on this site discussing ranting and raving. The site owner wants threads conducted in a gentlemanly fashion. It would be helpfull in this if you sometimes thought a little more before posting, then you would not raise the hackles of people like me. You are a long standing member of this site and a prolific poster, I have to say that I expected better from you.

John

paulh

Postby paulh » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:18 am

Moderator hat on

The thread ladies and gentlemen is a discussion about a book.

Many of the posts carry no reference to the book and are just personal attacks.

Single personal attacks which nobody picks up I'll leave, if others can ignore it so can I, it just shows the poster was having a bad hair day

When we get a run of pure personal attacks as we have here then that is not ignorable. In this case the thread will be locked and left as an example of what is not acceptable.

I'm going to consider the options on how best to handle any future unacceptable posts. The dustbin, emptied weekly, which many decried when Carol suggested it now looks a reasonable solution but of course if there are no incidents then the dustbin idea is totally unnecessary.

If you want to complain that its not fair don't bother I already know. Its not fair on readers who want informative stuff not hijacked threads and pure squabbles.

Return to “General Discussion & News”