KTEO

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
der

KTEO

Postby der » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:56 am

I read some very useful information on the living in crete website about the Greeek MOT, or KTEO as they call it. I know there is a private company that does this near the Carrefour in Mournies, but can anybody tell me where the Government one is? Is it near Tavronitis? And does it make much difference where you go? I saw another one which is near the airport advertising the test for 40 euros. My car is almost four years old so I need to get the test done soon. But maybe all the centres are much of a muchness. Anybody know?

Al

Postby Al » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:11 am

We were recommended to go to the one on the Akrotiri - and they were excellent. Very polite, test done very quickly and apologies for the penalty - we were 4 days late!! So get there on or before your date. Good luck!!

der

KTEO

Postby der » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:50 am

Thanks for that Al. Can you tell me how much it cost you there and how much the fine was? Oh, and were you able to just go there and get it done or did you have to make an appointment? My car becomes four years old on the 29th of September so I suppose I still have some time if I go there this week!

der

KTEO

Postby der » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:00 am

I also forgot to ask. Where exactly is it on the Akrotiri? I think it's not far from the airport. Is it signposted?

Alison

KTEO

Postby Alison » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:44 am

Hi, my friends take their car to the place in Tavronitis. Can't offer you anymore advice about it as I am back in the UK, but they seem to be happy with it. I believe as you go over the bridge into Tavronitis (from Chania direction) it is the first turning on the right, then it is on the right hand side.
Alison.

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:30 pm

We've had our done twice at the IKTEO at Mournies. We had to make an appointment but last time we arrived about 20 minutes early and were on our way home about 10 minutes after our appointment time.

They were efficient, the place was spotlessly clean, there's a viewing section in the office so you can watch your vehicle being tested and there's a drinks vending machine. There's no problem if you don't speak Greek as the office staff and most of the mechanics speak English.

Cost was €50

Al

Postby Al » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:18 pm

Drive as if to the airpost and the IKTEO is on the left before the roundabout almost opposite the military base. We did not need an appointment, were taken immediately and the whole thing took a total of twenty minutes. The people were incredibly nice. There were coffee and soft drinks vending and free internet access.

The basic cost (from memory so don't assume absolute accuracy) was around 40Euros for the test and a further 20 for the penalty. I would advise going on the day or the day before depending on how it falls. Their website is at http://kteo-hania.blogspot.com/

We were advised against the one at the Mournies junction by Greeks, but Philippos obviously had a good experience.

allan

Postby allan » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:43 pm

As with filippos, no problems at all at the Mournies IKTEO.

Clean, tidy, efficient. English speaking staff and mechanics.

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:58 pm

Al wrote:We were advised against the one at the Mournies junction by Greeks,...
I did see one Greek man ranting at staff. He'd just had his car judged a fail.

Bagshot

Postby Bagshot » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:35 am

The service I received at IKTEO Mournies on two occasions was excellent. As stated above, clean, efficient and courteous.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:29 pm

Don't forget to ask for the emission card as well. It costs a bit extra but you are legally required to carry one, renewed every year.

Warwick

moved 2 crete

test mot

Postby moved 2 crete » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:07 pm

there is an emissions test place in kolimbari opposite the football ground, very good and efficient.
Dave H

OrientalE10

Postby OrientalE10 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:59 pm

My car had it's first test this morning (being 4 years old) at the station in Tavronitis. I just drove in and presented the equivalent of a Log Book.

The test was carried out whilst I waited and cost 43 Euros (including tax)

No fuss; in and out in 30 minutes.

If you take the coast road west through Maleme and passed the army barracks, over Tavronitis bridge then take the first right. Its just down on the RHS passed the football pitch.

Good luck
Nick

Return to “General Discussion & News”