New property tax on DEH bill

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
altohb

Postby altohb » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:39 am

We've had notification from the tax office of the new, supposedly one off, "solidarity tax" and the extra tax levied on large cars. We can, likewise, get a discount if we pay in full by 30th Sept. The reduction in the tax free band to 5,000 came as a nasty shock - we hadn't heard about that one - Greek not good enough to read the Greek press, and I rarely look at the English edition of Kathimerini - should do so!

jet

Postby jet » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:28 am

DEH has begun to shut the power off for half an hour morning and evening, thinking enough to remind us that we need to pay taxes

Worse, I must go to the bank and pay the luxury car tax, because e-banking will not receive, says the payment ID is wrong

mouche

Postby mouche » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:37 pm

Does this "solidaritytax" come in addition to the local tax we already pay?

altohb

Postby altohb » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:55 pm

Information about the solidarity tax here:

http://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/2011/0 ... ill-again/

Kathleen

Postby Kathleen » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:36 pm

Just spotted your posting re the pool Phaedra. My bill, 90€, was sent to my Lawyer last week who forwarded it to my accountant. It was checked by her and found to be correct, at 5€ per sq mtr. She will pay it for me since I am not across again until early October.

Kathleen

Topdriller

Postby Topdriller » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:52 pm

It's somewhat ironic that if you've gone the legal route and paid the licence for your pool they can track you down and charge the new pool tax. On the other hand and if you haven't a legal pool then presumably they won't know - unless the Google maps thing is fact rather than fiction -and you won't have to pay a thing.

Kinda sums up the whole sorry state here i.e. if you do right, you get punished, if you do wrong you usually get away with it.

Jon
We need men who dream of things that never were.

Phaedra

Postby Phaedra » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:58 pm

Thanks Kathleen. Our accountant has paid ours for us as we're not out again for a while.

Topdriller, You're damned if you do, and damned if you don't ;-)

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:54 pm

altohb wrote:...The reduction in the tax free band to 5,000 came as a nasty shock - ...

According to todays Ekathmerini, http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_ar ... 011_408322 , the tax free allowance will be 9,500 Euro for pensioners over 65. At last! a reason to be glad for being old!

On the downside they are upping the amount of receipts you need to collect. Everybody better get spending like crazy in the last three months?

Warwick

altohb

Postby altohb » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:30 pm

Kilkis wrote:
altohb wrote:...The reduction in the tax free band to 5,000 came as a nasty shock - ...

According to todays Ekathmerini, http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_ar ... 011_408322 , the tax free allowance will be 9,500 Euro for pensioners over 65. At last! a reason to be glad for being old!

On the downside they are upping the amount of receipts you need to collect. Everybody better get spending like crazy in the last three months?

Warwick

Sadly, we are not in the 65+ bracket yet! Have already got loads of receipts though.......

Topdriller

Postby Topdriller » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:32 pm

Do you really need to keep receipts if you get your pink slips at the end of every tax year from the bank?

Jon
We need men who dream of things that never were.

altohb

Postby altohb » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:40 pm

Topdriller wrote:Do you really need to keep receipts if you get your pink slips at the end of every tax year from the bank?

Jon

This is back to the resident/non-resident question, Jon. I had understood that if you live here more than 183 days in the year then you will now be treated as resident and that, therefore, pink slips are irrelevant, but you need the receipts. It is, I understand, one or the other. If you are resident then you need receipts, if non-resident you need pink slips. You need to check with your accountant about your residence status, as I'm not sure exactly from when the new regulations apply.

footscapes

Postby footscapes » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:29 pm

And back on the subject of the property tax, proof that it really is tough out there for some REUTERS

Paul

altohb

Postby altohb » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:40 pm

footscapes wrote:And back on the subject of the property tax, proof that it really is tough out there for some REUTERS

Paul

My heart bleeds for him!

al'Miral

Postby al'Miral » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:51 pm

We have mentioned before that our accountant told us that as tax resident people we will not be required to produce pink slips but, we have to produce our P60's to show that our income and that tax is paid in the UK. These P60's due to the inability of the officials to read figures have to be translated into Greek.

We collected and collated all our receipts for 2010 and gave them to our accountant. She selected two months and gave the rest back to us.

We gather that she is both responsible and professionally liable to the authorities for the accuracy of our return and could be struck off if found neglige

fuzer

Postby fuzer » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:29 am

Jon - the very reason why the Greek people demonstrate and strike. The corrupt politicians and bankers are still raking it in - while hard working people - soon to be dumped on the dole queue - are taxed to the hilt.
ALWAYS FINISH WHAT YOU STAR

Return to “General Discussion & News”