No regrets about leaving the UK

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Muttly

Postby Muttly » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:55 pm

The best beer to me was (probably still is) Hop Leaf and its lighter counterpart Cisk (pronounced Chisk) which you can get in Malta. It is some of the last brews left of the old Simmonds Breweries of the home counties which were intended as light bottled beers.

Simmonds was taken over by Courage in the UK sometime in the late 60's/70's except for its foreign breweries which were sold off locally. The one in Malta was bought off locally but still know as Simmonds for quite a few years after before getting a local name.

I recall Amstel being a big seller in most of Greece with some locally copied German styled beers. Occassionally Tiger and wee bottle of Guiness.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:23 am

People here do seem to make a big fuss about whether they get Amstel, Heineken, Mythos etc. As far as I can tell they all come from the same horse and it's still fit for no further work. In case people interpret this as an anti-Crete statement I have the same opinion about Carlsberg, Carling, Heineken etc in the UK.

Warwick

claireD

Canada?

Postby claireD » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:44 am

I cannot believe the number of pensioners (157,435) who choose Canada! And, I hasten to add, I am Canadian. The weather alone is enough to make us leave. I love my country etc., but we are making plans to flee the very minute my husband retires.

Muttly

Re: Canada?

Postby Muttly » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:03 am

claireD wrote:I cannot believe the number of pensioners (157,435) who choose Canada! And, I hasten to add, I am Canadian. The weather alone is enough to make us leave. I love my country etc., but we are making plans to flee the very minute my husband retires.

Do you find living in the shadow of the US is a problem or a plus. I recall that many jocks etc were somewhat disparaging about Canada and I never managed to establish the truth by visiting you.

claireD

Canada

Postby claireD » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:42 am

We do find it a bit of a problem. It's one of the reasons we are going to clear out. And yes, it does get very tiresome listening to Americans who couldn't find us on a map, disparage us. They do joke a lot about how "nice" we are.... not exactly true, but a good thing to say about someone you really know nothing about. Then again, there is a certain blandness here that my husband and I are not really very happy with, so I can't blame others-- especially as the US is such a vibrant cultural entity. But you can keep their politics. Please!

Retired in Crete

Postby Retired in Crete » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:31 pm

Oh ClaireD! You give me hope. My brother has lived in Vancouver and Victoria for over 40 years and he thinks it is among the best places in the world to live. He quotes various surveys which consistently show BC among the top four. Greece is never mentioned. Having been there and travelled around BC I have to agree that it is a beautifull place and the sence of "space" coupled with the low desiity of the population make it truely unspoilt. For example, Vancouver Island which is the size of England, has a smaller population than Crete!

It is strange that you find the attitude of the Americans "tiresome" when they "cannot find you on a map" etc. Perhaps you now understand how the Newfoundlanders feel when you are told that you cannot get ice in your drink there because the man with the recipe has left! Every country has a neighbour who is considered thick and bares the brunt of "national jokes". Canadians belittle the Newfoundlanders continually, why do you object when the Americans do it to you?

You may find a big difference when you move to Crete. In Victoria I found it difficult to buy cigarettes! They are kept in locked cupboards and the person with the only key was always hard to find. (Less than 2% of the population smoke and school children are brainwashed against it. My niece asked how old I was, I asked "how old do you think I am?" "You cannot be older than 30" she said "because you smoke and smokers die before then!") I was told that it easier to buy heroin in Vancouver than cigarettes!

My brother is comming to visit us in September, I have filed a copy of your post to show him!

John

claireD

Postby claireD » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:57 pm

Oh dear! Where to begin? Firstly, John, your brother is absolutely correct—this is one of the best places to live and it is absolutely beautiful. We lived on Vancouver Island for many years, and when we would go sailing amongst the gulf islands in the summer, it was a slice of heaven. If the weather were better here, no one would ever leave… it’s not very cold here on the west coast, just very very cloudy and rainy. It grinds you down for months at a time, and although the summer is usually glorious it is very short.

There wasn’t enough room to say that most Americans seem to be very good people who bear us no ill will. Newfoundlanders?? I’m puzzled why you would bring them into this. I was asked a specific question about the Americans. I haven’t heard anyone even mentioning Newfoundlanders for years... and that person was from Toronto. No one around here belittles them continually, it's just not an issue. You are forgetting that this country is not monolithic, the distances between us are too great, and not just physically. And by the way, they ARE still part of Canada the last time I looked. We are brothers and sisters, and like any family I’m sure we will snipe at eachother from time to time. It tends to be different when someone who is not in the family does it!

Oh, and the comment about it being easier to buy heroin than cigarettes in Vancouver is a pretty good example of what I’m saying….. in some parts of the city, it may well be, but it sounds like one of those broad-brush comments that we are used to hearing from our compatriots (especially if they live in beautiful Victoria). Vancouver certainly has a huge problem, and I wish heroin were the least of it. But frankly, I’m very glad that at least, most people have stopped smoking here. I can’t imagine why the schools would want to tell students anything positive about such a debilitating habit. I’m always surprised by how much smoking is done in Europe, it hits you very hard when you come from here.

When we move to Greece, thankfully we will do so with open eyes. We have been there many times and so I think have reasonable expectations. We just prefer the lifestyle there, quite simply. Even if it includes cigarette smoke! That’s not anti-Canadian, it’s just our preference.

My apologies to others on this board for this long off-topic post!

claire

Muttly

Postby Muttly » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:09 pm

Newfoundlanders are brilliant, I worked with a couple back in 2000 and they were a complete hoot, hard as nails, rough sense of humour, worked like dogs, drank like fish, and never left you in the gutter. What more could you want. Well they were both blokes so I suppose there was one thing but what the hell.

claireD

Postby claireD » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:13 pm

Well said!!

Muttly

Postby Muttly » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:29 pm

I was a really heavy smoker until the early 91, untipped French cigarettes and sixty a day. The attitudes to smoking in UK have changed so markedly and quickly you are now a bit of a pariah if you smoked. I stopped because I had to have a nose and face rebuild. Tossed the fags and lighter into a skip on the way into the hospital. Never looked back.

Attitudes in Spain, France and Italy have changed slowly and most places I ate and drank in you they were still puffing away. I remember Greek cigarettes, an aquired taste but mucho cheapo in the 70's and 80's.

Still love the aroma of a good cigar though!

claireD

Postby claireD » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:52 pm

Mmmm Muttly you are so right about the cigar aroma! Don't tell my husband, but I often find the men who smoke them to be rather.....interesting... :twisted: for some reason. So glad to hear you kicked the habit, sounds like a horrible experience. I also smoked for years before a worrisome cough made me see the light. And yet, when we were visiting Crete last fall, the general smokiness of it all actually made me nostalgic for the old habit. I even succumbed a few times but the Old Boy made me see my error. You must admit, though, there is no better prop during a heated discussion over a few drinks than a cigarette-- you can jab it in the air, wave it around, or make a point by taking a long, brooding drag. Very dramatic. Hope I can avoid falling into it when we live there!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:11 pm

There's a verse from a very old song entitled "Cigareets, Whuskey and Wild Wild Women" recorded long ago by Red Ingles and the Natural Seven that I used to have on a 78:

Cigareets are a blight on the whole human race
A man is a monkey with one in his face;
Take warning dear friend, take warning dear brother
A fire's on one end, a fools on the t'other.

Warwick

claireD

Postby claireD » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:14 pm

Oh, I love that. Perfect!

Muttly

Postby Muttly » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:24 pm

I found the best way out of the dilemma was exercise and sea water which in its own way I found was a great antiseptic and cleaner. I went of holiday certifcated sick for six odd weeks.

Like a twit I forgot the effects of flying on the ears, nose and throat system. Ever seen a cartoon character with steam coming out of its ears.

However I went to Elba in Italy and went schnorkeling and swimming in sea from ten in the morning until sometimes past six at night. Instead of putting weight on I took it off, ate like a horse and came back fitter than I was at 30.

Cleared the cravings for cigarettes and my ENT system healed like billy oh. Sun, sea, sand and rocks with exercise and the Med diet are best healer I know.

claireD

Postby claireD » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:41 pm

You really did everything right, I can't imagine a better way to heal body and spirit after such an ordeal. There's something very salubrious about the Mediterranean life. All that fresh food and sunshine. Good for you!

Return to “General Discussion & News”