Marine matters.

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Muttly

Marine matters.

Postby Muttly » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:00 pm

Is there anyone with powered boat experience in Greek waters. As part of my job over the years I gained a numerous professional powered vessel handling cetificates etc up to a few thousand tonnes. They were all part of a professional not leisure certificates.

Does anyone know what is wanted and what is accepted just to run something like a RIB say 20ft or say a workboat with a day cabin just for fishing or or personal diving, not being used for commercial purposes.

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:13 pm

Whether it's used privately or otherwise you will need the boat to be licenced plus you will need a licence to fish (yes, even with a rod). Not only that but everyone on the boat, whether fishing or not, must have a licence. Port police are the people to contact for full information. The fishing licence is not expensive - around €25 for two years, I think. No idea about the cost of the boat licence but you have to take a test administered by Port Police (or possibly Coast Guard).

The Coast Guard do check even very small boats for safety equipment and size of fish caught. They apparently get very stroppy if you have anything undersized. If you get caught without the necessary papers fines are huge and it has been know for boats to be impounded until the fines are paid and every bit of safety kit you can imagine has been provided.

There have been one or two threads on the forum previously so it may be worth searching the archive.

Filippos.

I don't know the specifics about diving but there are some pretty stringent regulations about location.

Muttly

Postby Muttly » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:35 pm

Thanks for that;

"I don't know the specifics about diving but there are some pretty stringent regulations about location".

Yes antiquities I suppose.

I cannot be bothered to go out to sea without being equipped, I've pulled dozens out of the drink now who did not listen. One thing to do it for fun another to do it for work.

The biggest problem area was the personal water craft, 30 knots, no brakes and as mullured on the local vino as you can get.

Thanks for that.

Return to “General Discussion & News”