Car Prices

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Muttly

Car Prices

Postby Muttly » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:17 pm

Everyone has been very helpful in giving me prices and costings and we have been busy contructing basic budgets and have got some intial prices for houses etc. However it is obvious I will not not be importing and vehicles into Greece.

So the subject of a car now looms. For personal reasons we must have a car, public transport is out for me. I gather Toyota is pretty well one of the top marques in Crete. However Toyota is one make I have no experience with (in fact all Japanese cars) so can anyone suggest and would anyone know the cost of a Toyota or similar (estate?) that will take two big dogs but no more than 1600cc petrol. I am asking based on YOUR experience of buying and running such a vehicle.

I'm not really interested in something new or even nearly new. You talk of cars holding their prices so I suppose up to 10 years old will do until we get fully established. If you take it we would leave on the East end of the island and the villages there then it would have to cope with those general roads etc.

Take it that I qualify for all the residency qualifications, permits, tax number etc and I presenting myself to a dealer or second hand dealer with all the appropriate paperwork waiting to exchange cash whatever and drive it away.

Thanks in anticipation for your help.

filippos

Re: Car Prices

Postby filippos » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:40 pm

Muttly wrote: presenting myself to a dealer or second hand dealer with all the appropriate paperwork waiting to exchange cash whatever and drive it away.
A point to bear in mind is that there are very few second hand dealers in Crete as there's been no need in the past. A few have started to appear in the last couple of years but they generally concentrate on 'high end' vehicles that they can import (mainly from Germany, I think) and still make a decent profit after all expenses (including re-registration. Also, many new car dealers are reluctant to take vehicles in part exchange so have few used cars to sell.

We were considering changing our car a couple of years ago and none of the dealers we went to was prepared to take ours - a three year old Peugeot 206. The best we got was an offer from the dealer from whom we bought it to "put it on my book and if anyone interested comes along I'll let you know". I think it's getting a bit easier now but it is a potential problem. Historically, Cretans have kept their cars for years so the market is limited. The attitude persists with many people. Our Greek teacher recently acquired a (new RAV 4) which he intends to keep "for at least eight years".

I believe most Greeks still buy and sell used cars privately through newspaper ads and the ubiquitous friend-of-a-friend system.

Filippos.

Muttly

Postby Muttly » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:59 pm

Thank you Filippos, I think somebody, was it you(?) who posted on services about being four second hand dealers in Chania. The dealer advertised cars from €1000 to €50,000, but what? I'm a bit wary of phoning up a gent I don't know in a foreign country on the offchance that his changing stock of vehicles is going to yield a vehicle in X number of months. How long is a piece of string? So that's why I asked for personal experience.

I'm not proud and I'll drive anything that I don't fall out of the bottom of but things like small cars might be a bit difficult with a 10 stone Rottweiler peering over your shoulder if you get my drift. I just need some ballpark figures to try and work out where I'm going.

Once again thanks in anticipation. I appreciate prices may be a bit personal but if you feel more comfortable you can PM me any reply will get absaloute confidence.

Hudson

Re: Car Prices

Postby Hudson » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:15 pm

Muttly wrote:
If you take it we would leave on the East end of the island and the villages there then it would have to cope with those general roads etc.

How far East are you thinking of? There are a couple of 2nd hand car dealers in Sitia. I could ask some general questions on your behalf.

Muttly

Postby Muttly » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:25 pm

Hudson thank you for your prompt reply, considering the size of Crete I don't really think it matters. I'll go anywhere to do a deal that suits.

I'll give you the sort of idea, plucked from www.autotrader.com is a 10 year old Toyota Carina 2.0Ltr Estate. 100,000Km Price £995 or €1462 in the UK. What is the comparison in Crete if a comparison can be made?

Once again thanks.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:23 pm

Probably about €8,000.

I am driving a 12 year old Toyota Corolla Estate 1.3. Just passed 170,000 km. Very reliable, touch wood. So far a couple of sets of tyres, two new batteries (I think the first replacement was a bit dodgy), one leaking break cylinder just replaced and regular servicing. The only thing wrong with it is the sun is stripping the paintwork off the roof and the bonnet, a pretty common problem with Toyotas, so it doesn’t look pretty but it is not corroding.

If you look at Which magazine the top makes for reliability are Honda, Toyota and Mazda.

Warwick

Muttly

Postby Muttly » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:34 pm

I'd like to say my jaw just hit the deck but I was expecting something like this. So now one wonders if I can buy a £1000 (€1470) car in the UK or abroad to get LHD what the import duty would be? Surely not £4000 (€5880).

Crackers isn't it. How much does a donkey and cart cost???

andheath

Postby andheath » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:05 am

No big mistake, don't go East. There are no second hand car dealers at all. Go west, you will get a much better deal.

On second thoughts, end of September I could sell you a fantastic Classic Audi A80, reliable, very low Cretan mileage, knows the way home.
This Cretan Adventure thing is way beyond a joke.

Muttly

Postby Muttly » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:24 am

andheath wrote:No big mistake, don't go East. There are no second hand car dealers at all. Go west, you will get a much better deal.

On second thoughts, end of September I could sell you a fantastic Classic Audi A80, reliable, very low Cretan mileage, knows the way home.

Yeah right so does my 10 year old 10 stone female Rottweiler, Xena (a minor Greek goddess) and if you give her a few beers she'll leave a liquid trail behind her to give you a clue.

andheath

Postby andheath » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:25 am

OK. Might have been the best offer you get tonight.
This Cretan Adventure thing is way beyond a joke.

Muttly

Postby Muttly » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:36 am

No thanks I prefer the local sheep they push back a bit more if you take them over to the local quarry. Mind you I have to borrow the local Polish agricultral workers wellies.

Mind you the local lads and I go over from Devon here once a month to the Swansea Leasure Centre, superior sheep tied to a lampost outside the town hall.

Makes you weak at the knees. How do you find the goats, bit flighty if you ask me!

Hudson

Postby Hudson » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:24 am

andheath wrote:No big mistake, don't go East. There are no second hand car dealers at all. Go west, you will get a much better deal.

Look at the road that is behind the beach road for one of them - about 150mtrs from the old aircraft. Another near the National Bank.

Or are you saying no more people to come to the East, please :wink: ?

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:40 am

Muttly wrote:.......... what the import duty would be? Surely not £4000 (€5880).
Don't bank on it! The Customs man could say, "This car cost X,000 Euros (when new) and I estimate the amount due on import as yy%" substitute "yy" with up to 80 and you'll get the idea. There's no formula; he might have decided Greece "doesn't want your old junk", had a flaming row with his wife or found his usual cafe had sold out of tyropita.

Filippos.

latsida

Postby latsida » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:37 am

loads of secondhand car dealers here in the east.there is even a new one in Neapoli called Luxury Cars of Neapoli :P
friends of mine have also bought cheap runarounds from the car dealers at Ag.Nik.there is also an autotrader magazine on sale here

The Adjectival LFB

Postby The Adjectival LFB » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:13 am

Could the second-hand car market be in decline?

I thought that reasons for the long periods of Cretan car ownership (quite often until it terminally expired) where down to cost. The way this place was, until recently, why would anyone want a new car if their existing wheels did the job? I think also, that then, it was quite expensive to put a new car on the road. So maybe in the past Cretan frugality has kept used prices high.

These days a lot of people here seem to have far greater liquidity and want shiny things, including new cars. As a result I think the perceived value of second hand cars is slipping and that also a greater number are becoming available, further depressing the price.

One last thing. In most trading environments the “market” sets the price. If an expat is unaware of true market values he is likely to pay too much and then overvalue his purchase.

Regards, LFB.
Lowell, Frank and Townes - all gone now.

Return to “General Discussion & News”