Car Prices

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:26 pm

I have to confess that my €8,000 was a guess BUT it was a guess based on experience of casually looking at the price of second hand cars when out walking in Kilkis in northern Greece. Ten year old cars in good condition from a dealership were rarely much under €10,000. I doubt if the eight UK citizens who lived in the area distorted the market very much.

The ALFB is correct that the average period of ownership of a car is reducing and this is having some affect on the second hand market but I still think it hasn’t moved much in price terms. When we first moved to Kilkis, our landlord had a Fiat Mirafiori that he had purchased new over twenty years previously. This is a model that typically rusted away in the UK in about six months. When he eventually bought a new car, after another five years, he still managed to SELL the Mirafiori. The government have had schemes from time to time to encourage people to buy new cars, because the old ones cause more pollution, and these have been mainly responsible for the drop in average length of ownership. I think it is still over 10 years but it may e a little less. Also you don’t have fleet cars coming on to the market to depress the prices further.

I slightly disagree with Filippos in two respects. Firstly there IS a set of rules laid down to calculate the tax to pay on an import. As with all rules in Greece, it is not necessarily adhered to very closely, probably for the reasons Filippos states. Secondly it IS possible to import a car without paying excessive tax but it requires a lot of work and planning. I know OF people who have done it and it worked. My experience suggests that from choosing a plot of land to moving in to a finished property typically takes two years. If I had been doing this from the UK rather than northern Greece, I would have spent some time in the first year sourcing a two or three-year-old LHD car at the best price I could achieve, e.g. 50 % of new price or less. I would then have spent some time in the second year putting together all the paperwork needed to import it without paying excessive tax. Not an option if you are counting down in days. It’s not worth the effort if you are thinking of buying new. Also I wouldn’t recommend a RHD car here in the long term. I’ve done it for six months and it’s OK but LHD is so much easier.

Warwick

Muttly

Postby Muttly » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:54 am

latsida wrote:loads of secondhand car dealers here in the east.there is even a new one in Neapoli called Luxury Cars of Neapoli :P
friends of mine have also bought cheap runarounds from the car dealers at Ag.Nik.there is also an autotrader magazine on sale here

I'd be interested in getting a copy of Greek Autotrader just to get some idea of the market.

latsida

Postby latsida » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:08 am

you can also look in any of the free newspapers in the classified ads section.
to the question of cretan ownership of vehicles,here in the east most have
small scooter
larger motorbike or motocross bike
small battered pickup-for the olive groves
large saloon, preferably a BMW for the family
and the best of all-a large 4 x 4 preferably black with black tinted windows these are much loved by the shepherds All these are taxed. :D

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:22 pm

Muttly, go to the Crete classifieds at
http://www.kritikes-aggelies.gr/adds/

In the top lefthand corner, beneath the moving banner, type in the white box the make of the car in English and press enter or click ' αναζήτηση ' .
This will bring up a search page with details of vehicles for sale - the makes are written in English, details & prices etc in Greek.
e.g. Tιμή 8,900 ευρω = Price 8,900 euro

Muttly

Postby Muttly » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:49 pm

Carolina wrote:Muttly, go to the Crete classifieds at
http://www.kritikes-aggelies.gr/adds/

In the top lefthand corner, beneath the moving banner, type in the white box the make of the car in English and press enter or click ' αναζήτηση ' .
This will bring up a search page with details of vehicles for sale - the makes are written in English, details & prices etc in Greek.
e.g. Tιμή 8,900 ευρω = Price 8,900 euro

Thank you that was very surprising and a bit of a relief as I thought I would need a mortgage to buy and run and old nail to start with. Do you know whether these are all private sales or dealers using the classifieds? Thanks once again though.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:20 pm

Many of them seem to be dealers using the clssifieds - but there are private sellers too.

Muttly

Postby Muttly » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:46 pm

Carolina wrote:Many of them seem to be dealers using the clssifieds - but there are private sellers too.

Let the buyer beware then. Thanks once again.

Polyanna

Car prices - secondhand

Postby Polyanna » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:39 am

All useful stuff, thanks everyone. We have a car to sell shortly, but have no idea what the depreciation is like over here. It is a Diahatsu Terios, 2004, but we have been unable to find a similar one on the ad sites to know what we should be asking.

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:17 am

Take a guess, double it and haggle.

Filippos.

Return to “General Discussion & News”