Driving and commuting times.

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Muttly

Driving and commuting times.

Postby Muttly » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:09 pm

With cars and driving of course comes traffic. If you were trying to travel from Ag Nikolias to Chania how long would it take? Plainly your going to stick to the speed limits etc.

However the time of day and whether it is Summer or Winter matters. I can remember doing it on a Kawasaki K1 750cc motor cycle driven by a Greek freind in the 70's but that was like sitting on the back of the Starship Enterprise.

However what is it today?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:30 pm

I haven't done it recently but I would estimate pretty close to 3 hours. One hour Ag Nik to Heraklion, 1 hour Heraklion to Rethymnon, 1 hour Rethymnon to Chania. I can verify the last two times but not the first one.

Warwick

Muttly

Postby Muttly » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:37 pm

Kilkis thanks, is that because of distance, speed limits or traffic density, which is the greater of the three?

Thanks

andheath

Postby andheath » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:07 am

If you are only going one way I will buy you a tank of petrol
This Cretan Adventure thing is way beyond a joke.

Muttly

Postby Muttly » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:17 am

andheath wrote:If you are only going one way I will buy you a tank of petrol

Thanks for that mate but I would not want to see you liquidate all your savings in one go.

andheath

Postby andheath » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:20 am

Don't you worry about that and don't worry about the speed limits. I have a bit of spare cash and will willingly stump up for your speeding tickets just as long as I know you are heading west.

Muttly

Postby Muttly » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:29 am

Oooo err since I am shuffling duplicate licences like playing cards it's your choice of 3, 6, 9 or jackpot 12 points. They are all in the name of Smith....any Smith but since they don't speak English and I don't speak Greek will it matter?

Mr Smith

andheath

Postby andheath » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:40 am

On a more serious note, you need to get to Crete. You can only plan so much, when you get on the gound things are totally different. Cars for example, dealers are few and far between and you will need to buy locally because what use is a warranty if you have a 4 hour round trip to take it for a service.

The advice I got still stacks up as far as I can see. Go over in a banger, that will get you there and you can run on GB plates for six months. Gives you plenty of time to look arround and check out the best options where you are. And you won't lose a shed load of cash selling it or trying to get it back to the uk.

Some things you can plan and some things you just have to enjoy the ride.

Muttly

Postby Muttly » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:58 am

Well not wish to go into detail but I'm likely to have a Citroen C4 Grand Picasso which is a contact hire. It's a diesel automatic which has good carrying capacity and in addition will pull a trailer up to 1500Kg.

I'd drive it over and relinquish it back to the UK before 185 days has elapsed, dump it at the nearest Citroen dealers to a London Airport and fly back to Heraklion.

I'd love a simple 4WD to cover every eventuality but from what I am hearing a straight foward Toyota Estate would be more realistic. I don't care about cars, as long as it goes etc then bingo. I am not prepared to spend good money immediately until we get established.

That is a realistic approach I think. Modified and part suggested by you I might add.

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:48 am

Kilkis wrote:1 hour Heraklion to Rethymnon, 1 hour Rethymnon to Chania. I can verify the last two times but not the first one.

Warwick
Leaving Kalyves at 05:30 it's 1hr 12m. to Iraklio airport.

Filippos.

P.S. It would be quicker but for the last few Km that twist down to Iraklio; some of those bends are tricky.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:50 pm

Muttly wrote:Kilkis thanks, is that because of distance, speed limits or traffic density, which is the greater of the three?

Thanks

I haven’t checked it exactly but I think the distance is around 200 km.

As far as I know the speed limit is 90 kph or less for the whole of that distance. I would describe the road as mainly a cross between a poor A road and a good B road for most of that length. There are a few, relatively short dual carriageway sections, but not enough to have a significant effect.

Traffic density is not a problem in the M25 sense. For large sections, however, overtaking is a bit difficult. If you come up behind a single slow moving vehicle on one of these sections it can be quite a way before you can pass “SAFELY”. Slow moving vehicles are quite common. Incidentally the stretch from near Ierepetra to Sitia is even worse in this respect. Obviously you can go into Greek driver mode and overtake on blind bends if you wish. Personally I am prepared to exceed speed limits by a small margin where I judge it safe to do so but I am not prepared to adopt Greek overtaking strategy, i.e. He is in front of me therefore I overtake him.

filippos wrote:Leaving Kalyves at 05:30 it's 1hr 12m. to Iraklio airport.

Filippos.

P.S. It would be quicker but for the last few Km that twist down to Iraklio; some of those bends are tricky.

Obviously we are a bit further west. From our house to the Kalyves junction takes about 30 minutes so that would translate to 1 hr 42 minutes. I have not tried it at 05:30 but it has taken me close to 2 hours the last few times I have done the airport trip in daytime/early evening. I guess that would account for the extra 18 minutes OR perhaps you exceed the speed limit a teency weency bit more than I do? For those that don’t know, think 12-year-old 1.3 litre Toyota Estate versus much newer Peugeot 206 GT.

Warwick

Barbary Coaster

Postby Barbary Coaster » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:49 pm

Kilkis wrote:
As far as I know the speed limit is 90 kph or less for the whole of that distance.

Warwick

Thats interesting, I was sure that the Greek speed limits were posted on one of the "Brits" sites a while ago, and the limit out of town was 120 kph.

I can not find the article at present, do you have any info on a 90 kph limit to stop me being booked on airport runs ???

Bob

paulh

Postby paulh » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:53 pm

They were and you will find that 120 is for dual carriageway national roads. The only bits of National road dual carriageway on Crete are signed down to max 90 (or are within built up limits) except for one very short stretch just west of Heraklion which is signed as 100.

As to most of it being 90 not really so as you will see every set of bends or every point where there is an entry road signed down to 60. The signs are there but they may be obscured, no matter the speed limits still apply.

There are also speed limits that apply if you are passing through a built up area albeit on a motorway and I believe that the part going past Chania is officially reduced from 90 but you'd never know it.

allan

speed limits

Postby allan » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:31 pm

What I find interesting when approaching Iraklion are the three lanes with different speed limits, correct me if I am wrong for those who do the airport run ...is it 90kph, 70 kph and 40 kph for the inside slow lane?

When in Athens last year coming out of the city towards the Airport there were no signs but you understood the speeds.

Inside lane, Donkeys and Carts and those amazing 3 wheeled devices.

Middle lane..up to maybe 120 Kmph

Left lane.. Out of my way coming through, and if you dont move over tough. (Mostly Beemers, Mercs, Peugeot 206 GT, and of course ALL Motorbikes)

Phillip...1hr 12m to the airport???

Thats shifting even at 5.30am. Fasted I have done, from Kalives, was 1hr 30 =/- 5 and yes I broke the speed limit many times, (shame on you Allan, being an ex-policeman as well)

Thats with a 5 yr old 1.4 Kia Rio.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:27 pm

I might be wrong but I understood that there were two automatic speed limits in Greece. Any road, OUTSIDE the signs for a city/town/village, that didn't have a different speed limit signed was automatically 90 kph. Any road INSIDE the signs for a city/town/village that didn't have a different speed limit signed was automatically 50 kph.

Paul is correct that there are many sections that are less than 90 kph and are signed as such.

The only places I have seen roads signed above 90 kph were two or more lane each way dual carriageways. For example many of the dual carriageway sections from Thessaloniki to Athens are signed as 120 kph. I have not seen any sections on Crete signed at this level.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”