shortcut

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Brian

shortcut

Postby Brian » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:57 pm

Hi all,
Has anybody used the back road from the national highway at Neapoli to Plaka, and is it reasonable to use to get from Plaka to heraklion on a regular basis.
Brian

Retired in Crete

Postby Retired in Crete » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:47 am

Hi Brian

Must say it makes a refreshing change to see a question that does not include foreign place names like Chania or the funny sounding place that begins with Reth followed by bits I cannot pronounce.

The back road from Plaka to Neapoli is very much the "scenic route" and seems to take hours to say nothing of the wear and tear on your gear box. Go from Plaka to Ag Nik and then the New Road to Heraklion. (Estimated drive time 1 hour 10 mins) You will be in Heraklion before you would have reached Neapoli going the back route.

John

Brian

shortcut

Postby Brian » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:24 am

Well John,
Thats that sorted. One other query, what about the road from Elounda to the main Highway at Neapoli, is that ok? Thanks for your quick response.
Brian.

Wayne d

Postby Wayne d » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:15 pm

Retired in Crete wrote:Hi Brian

Must say it makes a refreshing change to see a question that does not include foreign place names like Chania or the funny sounding place that begins with Reth followed by bits I cannot pronounce.

The back road from Plaka to Neapoli is very much the "scenic route" and seems to take hours to say nothing of the wear and tear on your gear box. Go from Plaka to Ag Nik and then the New Road to Heraklion. (Estimated drive time 1 hour 10 mins) You will be in Heraklion before you would have reached Neapoli going the back route.

John

There are two PLAKA'S on Crete don't forget, so you didn't avoid a connection however spurious. :)

Diesel Doris

road from Elounda to Aghios

Postby Diesel Doris » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:41 pm

Hi

The road from Elounda down to Aghios has finally been improved - so yes your journey to the 'old' new road (as opposed to the NEW ROAD, still being completed) will be fine

Doris[/quote]

Retired in Crete

Re: shortcut

Postby Retired in Crete » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:47 pm

Brian wrote: One other query, what about the road from Elounda to the main Highway at Neapoli, is that ok?
Brian.

Sorry Brian but I have never driven that road so I cannot advise you except to say that generally you are better off sticking to the main roads where you can average reasonable speeds rather than trying to save a couple of miles (kms).

Another advantage of using the main road from Elounda to Ag Nik is that you pass the garage which consistently sells the cheapest petrol in the area. It is on the right hand side just before you reach the first set of traffic lights on the outskirts of Ag Nik.

Wayne d.

Andheath's campaign "West is Best" has my full support!

John

Retired in Crete

Postby Retired in Crete » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:09 pm

Doris

The diggers, dozers and dynamite are now visible from Kalo Horio. Hope your house is OK as the new mayor is trying to get the route changed.

John

paulh

Postby paulh » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:09 pm

"West is Best"

/me moves to bitchy mode

Except of course for 2 entities...... a certain person (not a member of this forum) was reckoning he'd be moving somewhere near you in the next month......... and the Minoan Group

/me moves out of bitchy mode

andheath

Postby andheath » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:44 pm

I wouldn't bother changing modes Paul. It is very hard to see any difference.

Please do not mention the MG. I will not happen. West is best, no point anybody going East, nothing happening, just Goats, and Olives. Oh courgettes as well but thats all. Sleepy backwater, best forgotten about.
This Cretan Adventure thing is way beyond a joke.

andheath

Postby andheath » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:46 pm

And Hippies
This Cretan Adventure thing is way beyond a joke.

latsida

Postby latsida » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:13 am

Whats the Minoan Group? :D

Barbary Coaster

Sleepy backwater my ****

Postby Barbary Coaster » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:23 am

andheath wrote: no point anybody going East, nothing happening, just Goats, and Olives. Oh courgettes as well but thats all. Sleepy backwater, best forgotten about.

Sleepy backwater - do you mean, Malia, Ag. Nik?? Horrible !!

This obsession with East v West sounds very childish to me. There's good and bad everywhere, why keep going on about it?

paulh

Postby paulh » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:52 am

its not an obsession here more a long running game and factually meaningless, started ages ago with someone's else's real obsession on another board with a "west end gang" which were out to get him (posting wise). Like all things it has evolved and mutated with use to suite specific circumstances.

As for childish, good, generally speaking the world would be a better place if adults kept some of their childish senses of humour and wonder.

And anyone who is going to make a decision as where they will live or holiday based on what is written here on East v West is sadly short on alternative sources of information so there is hardly a problem.

sorry that sounds a bit like a moderator getting heavy, its not, its just that the East/West thing is one of the lighthearted sides of this board and its the lightheartedness and irreverence that keeps this board fun and a pleasure to visit.

Retired in Crete

Postby Retired in Crete » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:12 am

paulh wrote: started ages ago with someone's else's real obsession on another board with a "west end gang" which were out to get him (posting wise).

Who would that have been?

John

paulh

Postby paulh » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:00 pm

Sorry John can't help you on that, you know how the brain blots out certain memories to protect you.....

Return to “General Discussion & News”