shortcut

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Kathleen

Re: Sleepy backwater my ****

Postby Kathleen » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:58 pm

Barbary Coaster wrote:This obsession with East v West sounds very childish to me. There's good and bad everywhere, why keep going on about it?

As Paul said, Bob, taken in a lighthearted way by us, including those of us who dwell in the 'Middle Earth'.

The phrase 'the West End Mob' was coined by my 'mate', you know who, so is best ignored :wink:

Bit worried though, he is apparently staying in Makrialos and 'travelling' round (didn't say whether by car or taxi) looking at properties across the island. Fingers crossed he parks himself away from us - though of course our loss will be someone else's gain :lol: What a happy prospect :(

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:13 pm

I think Jeana actually started the East-West thing, as banter with Geoff, referring to the West End as the "Posh End" for obvious reasons (as in London – West End – East End etc for those who don’t get obvious things) to wind him up. This pre-dated the subsequent arguments on BIC by quite a long way but it took on a life of its own, as these things tend to do, which has carried over to this board. As far as I can see, if anybody takes it seriously it is he or she who have the problem.

In any case, I don’t see why it should lead to any arguments since it is a well established fact that the west end of the island is best so what would there be to argue about.

Warwick

Kathleen

Postby Kathleen » Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:41 pm

Kilkis wrote:In any case, I don’t see why it should lead to any arguments since it is a well established fact that the west end of the island is best so what would there be to argue about.

Warwick

Ooh! Warwick you little tinker.............how can you start stirring things like that up on LIC :wink:

Kathleen

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:25 pm

Kilkis wrote:... ... ... since it is a well established fact that the west end of the island is best so what would there be to argue about.

Warwick
It was ever thus, Warwick and the arrival of yourself and Jeana made it even more superior.

Filippos.

The Adjectival LFB

Postby The Adjectival LFB » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:02 pm

Yaaawwwwnnnnnnnnnnnn!
Lowell, Frank and Townes - all gone now.

Diesel Doris

Postby Diesel Doris » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:13 pm

Retired in Crete wrote:Doris

The diggers, dozers and dynamite are now visible from Kalo Horio. Hope your house is OK as the new mayor is trying to get the route changed.

John

Hi John

yes, I think we should be ok, unless they are going to bull dose their way through the entire centre of the village....

Doris

Muttly

Postby Muttly » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:43 pm

paulh wrote:its not an obsession here more a long running game and factually meaningless, started ages ago with someone's else's real obsession on another board with a "west end gang" which were out to get him (posting wise). Like all things it has evolved and mutated with use to suite specific circumstances.

As for childish, good, generally speaking the world would be a better place if adults kept some of their childish senses of humour and wonder.

And anyone who is going to make a decision as where they will live or holiday based on what is written here on East v West is sadly short on alternative sources of information so there is hardly a problem.

sorry that sounds a bit like a moderator getting heavy, its not, its just that the East/West thing is one of the lighthearted sides of this board and its the lightheartedness and irreverence that keeps this board fun and a pleasure to visit.

I know this is tempting fate or the fates but can any one "sketch" out the differences or even the pros and cons of the two ends of the compass, what about the south?

paulh

Postby paulh » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:54 pm

paulh wrote:a long running game and factually meaningless,

so to try "sketch" out the differences or even the pros and cons of the two ends of the compass, would be 100% pointless as everyones perception is different

andheath

Postby andheath » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:23 pm

nice side step
This Cretan Adventure thing is way beyond a joke.

Phaedra

Postby Phaedra » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:41 pm

Kathleen wrote:
including those of us who dwell in the 'Middle Earth'.

The phrase 'the West End Mob' was coined by my 'mate', you know who, so is best ignored :wink:

Bit worried though, he is apparently staying in Makrialos (is that in Fangorn Forest?)and 'travelling' round (didn't say whether by car or taxi) looking at properties across the island. Fingers crossed he parks himself away from us - though of course our loss will be someone else's gain :lol: What a happy prospect :(

WoW¨ I hadn't realised!

Of course the East is Mordor the land of the dreaded Orcs and the West is the land of the Hobbits, Men, Dwarves and Elves.

So the "Traveller" that you're referring to is non other than the former "White Wizard", Saruman himself, having been ousted from Orthanc by the Ents he's looking for another stronghold. Beware of his Power - he can chalk up his number of posts without imparting a shred of useful knowledge! He's probably looking for Minas Morgol or Cirith Ungol - any idea where these are on Crete? If so, and if you live there then "Run for your life!"

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Just a bit of fun. :twisted:

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:54 pm

Phaedra wrote:He's probably looking for Minas Morgol or Cirith Ungol - any idea where these are on Crete? If so, and if you live there then "Run for your life!"

God I hope it's not anywhere near Malia!!!
Living in Crete!!

The Adjectival LFB

Postby The Adjectival LFB » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:14 pm

Dear Phaedra,

That sounds like Durban Poison talking - you holistic hoodlum you!

BTW, when I checked out your holistic haven it seemed to avoid any reference to the spiritual whatsoever. Are you a spiritual free zone, or do you just not want to scare off the punters?

Regards, LFB
Lowell, Frank and Townes - all gone now.

Phaedra

Postby Phaedra » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:48 pm

Hmmm. I'll ignore the Durban reference because it has absolutely no bearing here.

Are you trying to be clever?

paulh

Postby paulh » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:20 pm

careful Phaedra, Tolkien is Hobbit forming

paulh

Postby paulh » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:45 pm

The Adjectival LFB wrote:Dear Phaedra,

BTW, when I checked out your holistic haven it seemed to avoid any reference to the spiritual whatsoever. Are you a spiritual free zone, or do you just not want to scare off the punters?

Regards, LFB

Scaring off the punters is exactly what would happen if your idea of spiritualistic centers around Norman Watt-Roy. Now if it were Bonnie Raitt .....

Return to “General Discussion & News”