shortcut

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:26 am

Errrrrrrrrrm, where did "Compo" come from? I don't wear wellies or jackets, even scruffy ones, and certainly not woolly hats.

Filippos.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:08 pm

Well if John's idea is going to take off, someone has to be Compo. It was the recent posts about sweaty feet and dissolving trainers that gave me the idea. Perhaps Blamire would be more fitting? I am sure we could include characters that were not contemporary.

As a know-it-all, I thought I would suit Seymour best but I am open to suggestions. Anyone suggesting Smiler is in deep trouble.

Warwick

PS Who are we going to pick to be Nora? Worse still, who is going to tell her?

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:32 pm

Kilkis wrote:PS Who are we going to pick to be Nora? Worse still, who is going to tell her?
Shussssssssshhhhhhhh!

Filippos.

Assimilate

Postby Assimilate » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:16 pm

I like the subject of global warming and particularly enjoyed reading your comments/views on it.

I have come to my own conclusion though, whether you think there's global warming or not isn't so relevant to the great scheme of things. The general thought behind global warming is we need to protect our planet for our children. What the technologies behind global warming prevention do is to aid this goal. If burning carbon based fuels is replaced by solar, wind and water energy providers what we do is replace the limited resources of the planet with renewable ones. So oil, coal and wood doesnt run out in 50 years time as we no longer use it.

The fact that we use more water is down to the fact there are more of us on the planet and in the civilised world we use more water per day per person than we used to 10 years ago. So if the global warming prevention techniques help us develop ways to use less water or use it more efficiently then we are aiding our children when they live on a planet with twice the population it has now and the same amount of available water.

So whether you believe in global warming or not you still need to use less water and oil so our kids can have a future and we need to keep developing different energy sources so that we dont use up the raw materials for the methods of energy production we have without an alternative ready and waiting.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:30 pm

I would agree with you wholeheartedly, Assimilate.

No resource on earth is infinite. The faster we use it the sooner it runs out.

In many cases saving energy is done with no loss of real amenity and often a gain in economy yet people still will not do it. I cannot understand why.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”