Cost of "legalisation"

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu May 04, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: Cost of "legalisation"

Postby GlennB » Sat May 06, 2017 3:51 pm

Hi folks - we're not actually in Crete (Arkadian Brits here :) , but this forum has about the biggest discussion on this issue that I've seen so I hope it's OK to ask a few questions.

We started the legalisation ball rolling 5 years ago (our tradition open-plan basement was converted to bedrooms and this was not covered by our planning application). It's taken this long to get it through the local architectural committee - which didn't actually exist for most of that time ;) - and the process will be complete when we pay the final €4100 or so, making a total pushing 6K.

I'm pretty concerned that the final (via i-Banking) payment will not go to a ministry or other organisation but directly to a bank account of the chief civil engineer of the area. Also a draft of the legalisation document shows my wife's maiden name as her surname and knowing Greek bureaucracy this worries me, though the engineer's assistant assures me this is correct. I don't much fancy making legal enquiries locally as everyone knows everyone in these parts and it could ruffle a few feathers, so any advice from people who have been through the process would be welcome.

Cheers all!

Posts: 982
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:07 am
Location: Milatos, Lasithi

Re: Cost of "legalisation"

Postby YoMo2 » Sun May 07, 2017 3:48 pm

On the basis that it will be no easier to sort it out now than later, and given that you have other priorities, I would not worry too much about the maiden name thing unless you are looking for double trouble.

I would sort out the money thing first. Question. Is the "chief civil engineer of the area" the engineer who did the legalisation for you? If yes, why would he not expect a fee for the work? If no, then I don't think he should be involved in any way, and you should investigate further.

You haven't given too much detail, so it is hard to be definitive. In general, legalisation costs are made up of fines payable to the government, which are always documented on an official printout and payable only via bank transfer or deposit at a bank, and engineers fees, which are also documented on the legalisation papers. The engineer's fees may be paid partly in cash at his request........

Give some more detail if you can, and members will try to help.


Posts: 9510
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Near Chania

Re: Cost of "legalisation"

Postby Kilkis » Sun May 07, 2017 4:40 pm

Remember there are two routes to legalisation:

    1 If the property meets ALL building regulations but is illegal because what exists does not conform to the plans originally submitted to get the building permit, then it is possible to fully legalise it. That is done by submitting a new/subsidiary building permit application, paying the difference in costs, including additional IKA payments, to account for the differences in the build plus any fines for retrospective submission. I have never done this so I don't know the exact procedure including how the payments are made. I would have expected there to be a an official payment demand with a payment code on it that you can pay directly at the bank. The IKA payments may have a separate demand with a separate payment code. I would expect the fee of the engineer who carried out the process for you to want payment directly.
    2 If the property DOESN'T meet ALL the building regulations then it is possible to quasi-legalise it, i.e. it remains legal for thirty years and can be sold. The procedure for that is different. I think Andrew's description is based on this second process. An engineer surveys the property, submits the details somewhere and receives a document saying what fine is due. You pay the fine directly at the bank using the payment code on the demand. You also pay the engineers fee directly to him/her

You need to realise that you are responsible for the payments. If you give the money to somebody else, e.g. an engineer, to make the payments for you and that person keeps the money you are still liable. The government organisation to whom the fines are due wouldn't be in the slightest bit interested that you had given the money to a third party and would still demand payment. Obviously you could sue that person if you have a lifetime to spare. If you have paperwork detailing what has been done and what you are being asked to pay you could try asking KEP. Nowadays there is a government web site where you can print off documents that allow you to make payments at your bank for a wide range of situations. The bank certifies the document that it has been paid and you give that document to the organisation that wants paying.


Return to “General Discussion & News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yin&Yang and 7 guests