Why am I leaving the UK?

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
OrientalE10

Why am I leaving the UK?

Postby OrientalE10 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:59 pm

Now that we are almost ready for the one-way trip on 1st October, I hired a van yesterday to take some stuff to White Van Man's HQ in deepest East Sussex. A brand new Toyota Hiace and very good it was too. We are currently staying at my step-son's flat in Cosham, just north of Portsmouth, until we fly out. At midnight last night we were woken by a dreadful commotion and it turned out that a gang of 14 year-old girls (yes fourteen) had gone on the rampage at Cosham station wrecking the train to Cardiff and then came down Portsmouth Road picking on all the cars and shop windows. Guess what, yes, the van was singled out with both door windows smashed and the winscreen badly damaged. They used the emergency hammer that they had previously stolen from the train. The damage to the van is in the region of £1200 and unless my car insurance covers me, I have to cough up £500 excess.
The Police know who they are but can do nothing!!!!!

And people ask me why I am leaving.

Roll on October

Nick

Kathleen

Postby Kathleen » Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:44 pm

Bad news Nick, what an awful thing to happen, especially during your last few weeks in UK.

At least you have the move to look forward to, hope all goes well from now on.

Kathleen

Muttly

Postby Muttly » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:46 pm

They've got rights you know, pity they trampled all over yours, you can probably console yourself that within a year or so they will all be pregnant and on skag.

andheath

Postby andheath » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:21 pm

That made me laugh.........cheers Muttly
This Cretan Adventure thing is way beyond a joke.

JulieC

Postby JulieC » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:05 pm

Hi all

We are also moving over to Crete 28th September we are so excited!! Currently we are living at my mums house until the move its mad here, just want to go now. We have a little girl aged 18 months and 2 dogs (dogs not coming out until March)

England unfortunatly is getting worse and not somewhere I want my little girl growing up in.

Good luck with your move

Julie James Sienna & the dogs

Muttly

Postby Muttly » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:04 pm

As Bugs Bunny often says..........head for the hills folks.

Andheath my wife often says that she sees great similarity between me and Wile E Coyote (Genius), always coming up with genius plans only to get the Road Runner screwing them up at the last minute.

Beep beep!

andheath

Postby andheath » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:21 pm

I can see why she says that. Beep Beep Vrrrrrrooooommm
This Cretan Adventure thing is way beyond a joke.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:34 pm

Muttly wrote:They've got rights you know, pity they trampled all over yours, you can probably console yourself that within a year or so they will all be pregnant and on skag.

At 14 I would have thought they would already have at least one child. I wonder who was looking after it while they were on the rampage.

Muttly

Postby Muttly » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:43 pm

JulieC wrote:Hi all

We are also moving over to Crete 28th September we are so excited!! Currently we are living at my mums house until the move its mad here, just want to go now. We have a little girl aged 18 months and 2 dogs (dogs not coming out until March)

England unfortunatly is getting worse and not somewhere I want my little girl growing up in.

Good luck with your move

Julie James Sienna & the dogs

I always thought that education was the salvation of the young and the dispossesed, with education you became useful not only to yourself and others, but it was also a ticket to a job and some sort of decent life.

Then it seems society gave up on its young, they did not want to educate them, did not want to stretch them, they could import cheap labour even if it did not quite come up to standards or did not know the job or even speak the language. They made their parents work long hours, so family life was replaced by the TV. The only freindship many of these kids know is their gang freinds, the TV, the X-Box. The latter two only interested in ratings and money.

They could outsource jobs to people who could nearly but no quite speak colloqual and Estuary English and drop the general standard of things from customer service to marking GCSE's papers to a new standard, one so low that it was good enough for the population but not quite good enough for the people at the top who organised this and grabbed the profits.

Parents and children had to learn what was good enough for them but not quite good enough to compete in the world. With nothing to do, no prospects and a society that is too busy gratifying itself through consumption there is no leadership, no direction and the role models can be summed up as the Beckhams. Children all want to be pop stars and appear on Big Brother.

Well who can blame them. With either feckless parents who gave birth at 14 being followed by even more confused parents giving birth at 14 does anyone expect any better, with absent parents working long hours for minimal wages in a country where you need 7 times your own salary to buy a two bedroom house in a city who or where do these kids go to.

The wall in the end I would suggest.

Like the mafia used to keep it's women, society is keeping many of its young barefoot and pregnant. Not much consolation for the victims of their crimes but when you pay tribute to the hounds in powerful places, in government etc one could make sure that it was the least "tribute" one can manage to give our masters and wherever possible their "support" was somewhat negative by educating our friends abroad of the truth not what you see on BBC 24 any longer.

Jason

Postby Jason » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:01 pm

Hi Nick,

Sorry to hear about the van seems to be the norm all over the country no respect at all, bet it makes the thought of leaving all the more sweeter. We have a home in Tavronitis and are planning to move in April 08,
Hope the move goes well.

Jason.

Julie C i have left you a pm.

paulh

Postby paulh » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:06 pm

Important

Sorry folks but I feel we need some moderation

Theres been a lot of knocking the UK recently buts thats not what this board is about.

Fine to mention your displeasure in passing but otherwise can we ease back please

Muttly

Postby Muttly » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:16 pm

You quite right Paul, this board has given me education, knowledge and contacts that I think would be very hard to have obtained elsewhere and as a result is an excellent resourse.

Sue B

Why am I leaving the UK

Postby Sue B » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:21 pm

From one extreme to the other:

From today's Daily Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... ge_id=1770

It seems to me that she is guilty of a lack of consideration to fellow rail travellers, but surely not a criminal offence!

Where were these rail officials when the train mentioned above was vandalised - and the police when these girls went on the rampage?

Yet again, law abiding citizens are penalised and the real criminals get off scott free.

Sue

Pam in Crouch End

Postby Pam in Crouch End » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:37 pm

Quite right, Paul - I can fully understand Nick's feelings and I am sure it did him good to let off steam on this forum (my sympathies to you, Nick - a horrible thing to happen in your last few days in the UK). However, I wouldn't want to see this forum turn into knocking the UK all the time - there are still a lot of good things about here. The reason we want to move to Crete on retirement is not so much that we want to leave the UK, but that Crete can give us more of some things that we want to enjoy.

Pam & Bob
Pam & Bob

wander

Postby wander » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:32 am

I read the above with interest - just being in the process of planning a departure from the UK for a long stay in Crete.

Having spent long periods in various countries, East and West - mostly Europe and Asia - it is difficult not to admire the British. Perhaps, because I am of mixed descent I see them differently.

I admire the British character/nation, and see it as quite a distinctive one. Mostly I admire them for being understated, being able to laugh at themselves and at all of us humans with our foibles. This does give rise to an absolutely incredible tolerance - and, by implication therefore, freedom for the individual to express themselves in all sorts of untoward, even idiosyncratic ways; this tolerance, for the varied and sometimes excessive, I have never come across in any other part of the world. It is almost an inner state of being which acknowledges the old adage: 'everything passes', with a quite admirable detachment. And finally, when things go too far, as they did with Hitler for example, that reticence, which so far stood back, observed patiently without intruding too much, steps forward as a remarkable bravery which will defend to the utmost the freedoms it has so graciously and generously allowed.

Of course a true self-effacing Brit wouldn't be able to say the above, perhaps because they don't need to. But in case some of them forget how much they and the UK have meant to a lot of us who have counted on them in the worst of times .............

Have I managed to rectify the balance somewhat, Paul? :)

Return to “General Discussion & News”