Private elemenary schools

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Lisa Lenchner

Private elemenary schools

Postby Lisa Lenchner » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:21 am

Hello,

before moving to Crete, I have to ask 'experts' about their experiences with school aged kids and their adjustment to Crete.
I would like to homeschool my kids, age 7, 9 and 14 if possible, but dont know how Greek authorities will handle this.
Is there an alternative to sending non greek speaking kids to school, like english speaking schools.
Any help is appreciated. contact me directly under:
Lisa.doron@gmail.com.

Sincerely
Lisa

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:55 pm

Have you looked at the main site?

http://www.livingincrete.net/schools.html

and there's more information in Carol's book

http://www.livingincrete.net/book.html

Filippos.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:32 pm

Hello Lisa,

As indicated by Filippos the main site has details of the European school in Heraklion, which is the only full time school in Crete which has lessons in English.

As for the legalities of homeschooling - I am unsure about this but have made some enquiries and am waiting for a reply.

My children (now teeneagers) were born and brought up in Greece and educated at Greek school so they never had to adjust from one languange and culture to another. I have, however, seen many other families with children come and go for various reasons. Further reading on this thread: wanting to move family to Crete

Lisa Lenchner

Postby Lisa Lenchner » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:31 pm

Hello Carol, Hello Filippos,

thank you very much for your insights and help. I slowly have to digest what I was reading there. It does not sound at all like the pressure free environment that I was looking for.

While I am still hopeful to get some feedback on the issue of homeschooling, either from you, Carol, or other readers, I have a few more questions:

If I move to Crete in the middle of the school year, would the Greek authorities push me right away to have my kids attend school. Or would they be understanding enough to give us time till the next year ?

Is there any way to avoid registration of kids?

During the first months of settling down in Crete we would not even be considered residents ( I am of German decent, while my partner is non European). We have to get married and then request resident permit.
Would that make a difference?

And, we are Jewish, according to papers. Can we claim exemption on that status?

I dont' want to overdue it for today.
Hope to hear something positive from other newcomers as well.

Bye,

Lisa

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:32 am

Hi Lisa,

Here's the reply I got from Eurydice:

"As a matter of general and common knowledge, the Greek legislative framework provides that all children of foreign citizens residing in Greece are required by law to receive both primary and secondary education from the age of five until the age of sixteen (one year of pre-primary, six years of primary, and three years of secondary education); furthermore, home-schooling is only available for properly certified children requiring special needs education.

Please direct your inquiries concerning this or related matters to the Office of Primary Education Studies at +3(0) 210-3442248 into whose competence this issue falls."

As to the question of registering your children at school, there really appears to be no way that they could check up on you if you do not. Also in the first few months you would not neccessarily be 'resident' - could be a long holiday!

The mention of home-schooling in the above reply could be that provided by the state, so it still doesn't answer your question clearly.

Return to “General Discussion & News”