can I buy straw?

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Anne Bilbrough

can I buy straw?

Postby Anne Bilbrough » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:52 pm

Hi is it possible to buy small bales of starw here please? and roughly how much do they cost - I do actually want starw not the alfalfa
I'm in the Paleochora area but may be able to pick up from as far away as Chania
Any info appreciated
Thanks, Anne

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:47 pm

There's lots of places around Chania selling bales of hay as animal feed. They might know where you could get bales of straw? As examples, there are two very close to the national highway. Come off at the Omalos junction and turn in the direction of Omalos. One place is about 100 m from the junction. The second is a few hundred metres further along near a Continental tyre garage. I would guess there must be similar places near to Paleochora.

It's the wrong end of the island but the donkey sanctuary near Ierepetra might be able to give you general advice of where to get it. See http://www.walkwithdonkeys.com
http://donkeycarecrete.wordpress.com or phone 6976 088547

Similarly there are a couple of stables near Chania who might have information. One is in the village of Deres not far from Tavronitis. The other is just off the slip road onto the national highway going west from the Omalos junction. Sorry I have no contact details. The one in Deres has a very good Taverna.

Warwick

Anne Bilbrough

Postby Anne Bilbrough » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:15 pm

Hi thanks ever so much for reply - have been asking at places like this but not at these particular ones so will give them a try
Thanks again
Anne

Paleo

Postby Paleo » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:02 pm

Anne,

Did you try Petrakis supermarket?

They have bales in the lock up portacabin at the side of the shop. Have a word with Adonis.

Return to “General Discussion & News”