Use of a Motor Home

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Muttly

Use of a Motor Home

Postby Muttly » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:23 pm

I'm getting some quotes for Motor Homes (LHD) 20 to 25ft. Obvously it ups ferry prices etc but I'm interested to see if anyone else has used a Motor Home to move to Crete or even the Greek mainland. Pros, cons, do's, dont's etc.

The thought being to load humans, animals, into a moving zoo which we also have a bed in. Theoretically it would then be travel at our leisure so no prebooking of ferries.

After delivery the vehicle would be returned and a cheap flight back to Crete would be in order..

Any comments welcome.

Muttly

Postby Muttly » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:34 pm

I am getting all inclusive hiring prices of £1500 for a 3 person motorhome for two weeks and I await the 4/5 person ones. With four cats and two dogs I think the bigger vehicles are a better bet.

Of course no ferry prices but it will be all off season. These vehicles are fully winterised and they give me a choice of routes.

Add diesel charges and I suppose it is £500 extra providing I don't boot it.

The Adjectival LFB

Postby The Adjectival LFB » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:11 pm

When you cross the Adriatic, with one of these things, some ferry companies at some times of the year will allow you to park on an open deck and give you unrestricted access during the voyage. They also give you electricity. Your own personal cabin/ kennel. That’s the upside.

Regards,LFB.
Lowell, Frank and Townes - all gone now.

Muttly

Postby Muttly » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:29 pm

The Adjectival LFB wrote:When you cross the Adriatic, with one of these things, some ferry companies at some times of the year will allow you to park on an open deck and give you unrestricted access during the voyage. They also give you electricity. Your own personal cabin/ kennel. That’s the upside.

Regards,LFB.

Brilliant, do you have any idea whom? I've always used Brindisi for Piareus. If I'm going to travel that way we thought we'd do the Grand Tour and rent a Motor Home for a month or even six weeks. Me to drive it back and get Air Cheapo to fly me back. The best fare I got out of a Regional West Country Airport was £38 one way by Air Malta of all people to Heraklion all taxes etc.

The Adjectival LFB

Postby The Adjectival LFB » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:58 pm

Don’t think you or a “motor home” will need to be winterised to travel to Crete in a few days time, whatever route you take.

I know ANEK and Superfast do (only sure about that out of Ancona) not sure about Minoan. Websites should have info.

Regards, LFB.

Muttly

Postby Muttly » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:27 am

Of course the enforced move into darkest West Country has now upset the apple cart so we may need to regroup into March 2008. However it has given us even more reason to last this winter out and get out as soon as possible.

I have some experience in "winterised and non winterised" GRP vehicles and it is surprising what can freeze you nuts off unless the bodywork has been metalised and insulated. It's winterised sleeping bags all the way unless you want an Eberspacher Heater eating your diesel.

The room of a Motor Home and it's carrying ability beats a Tranny any day and it's only the trip home that is the drawback. Still I guess there is Malta Airlines for the final flight back.

The Adjectival LFB

Postby The Adjectival LFB » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:09 am

I spent years at the mercy of Eberspacher and occasionally Webasto stationary shed heaters - eventually Mikuni came along and made life bearable. Shortly after that I was out of it.Used to run them on parafin from a dedicated tank - less problems.

Muttly

Postby Muttly » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:16 am

Not on the LFB Pier in front of LFB HQ I trust because I'm still waiting for you to turn up at Cannon Street!

The Adjectival LFB

Postby The Adjectival LFB » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:54 am

No. Those experiences were from an entirely parallel universe, any knowledge of that life would do you no favours whatsoever.

Regards, LFB.

Muttly

Postby Muttly » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:03 am

That is what Roberto said at Blackfriars.

carolineclaire

Postby carolineclaire » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:31 am

very curious about the air malta flight you found to Heraklion....which regional airport is it from and for which date??? is it direct flight? Have checked their web site and no flights to heraklion from anywhere....

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:08 am

It's a summer charter only, out of Bournemouth I believe, through Thomas Cook or Olympic holidays.

http://www.bournemouthairport.com/cms/38/holiday-flight.html?id=14&destination=crete-greek-islands-

Kathleen

Postby Kathleen » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:29 am

[quote="carolineclaire"]very curious about the air malta flight you found to Heraklion....which regional airport is it from and for which date??? /quote]

They have been operating out of Bristol for this season at least as far as I am aware.

I think you will find from next year, May, they will be operating out of Newcastle and possibly other regional airports on behalf of XL. Flyjet who have undertaken their flights for them in the last couple of years are pulling out after a disastrous summer with tech. aircraft. I understand XL are also closing their base at Newcastle, their staff are very unhappy at losing their jobs at the end of the season and hoping to be re employed by Air Malta.

Kathleen

Ros21

Postby Ros21 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:02 am

Hi Muttly,
my parents have a large motor home which they have driven to Greece twice. They've used Minoan ferries from Venice. Last year I booked them online for their tripas the agent in the UK that they'd used previously didn't have up to date prices /schedules when they wanted to book. They were allowed to stay with their vehicle on deck & were very impressed with the ferry/crossing etc.

Ros.

latsida

Postby latsida » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:38 am

To Philipos
the BOMO flights are eurocypria airlines. :D

Return to “General Discussion & News”