Use of a Motor Home

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
suebob

AIR MALTA

Postby suebob » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:54 am

It's from Exeter Airport, has been operating for some time. Our daughters are flying out on Tuesday (11th) same airport same airline - we actually booked it online for them, also, my sister is a Travel Agent and books the flight frequently to Heraklion via Exeter by Air Malta !
Hope this helps !

filippos

Re: AIR MALTA

Postby filippos » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:28 pm

suebob wrote: my sister is a Travel Agent and books the flight frequently to Heraklion via Exeter by Air Malta !
Hope this helps !
I think that's the big point with booking; I think it has to be through an accredited travel agent. I'm moderately certain you can't book direct with Air Malta to anywhere except Malta Luqa airport. At least, their web site only shows Malta as a destination from any of the UK airport they operate from (B'ham, Bristol, Glasgow, L'pool, London - STN, LGW, LHR - M'chester, N'castle).

Air Malta site http://tinyurl.com/2ro898

Filippos.

Muttly

Postby Muttly » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:06 pm

Kathleen wrote:
carolineclaire wrote:very curious about the air malta flight you found to Heraklion....which regional airport is it from and for which date??? /quote]

They have been operating out of Bristol for this season at least as far as I am aware.

I think you will find from next year, May, they will be operating out of Newcastle and possibly other regional airports on behalf of XL. Flyjet who have undertaken their flights for them in the last couple of years are pulling out after a disastrous summer with tech. aircraft. I understand XL are also closing their base at Newcastle, their staff are very unhappy at losing their jobs at the end of the season and hoping to be re employed by Air Malta.

Kathleen

I'll cross check but I'm pretty sure it came up out of Exeter, and at the end of October. I found it amusing it was Air Malta because I have a long association with them as BEA and BA (European Division) used to do much of their early services in the Trident which my old man flew. They used to wack big stickers over the UK logo but leave the tail logo free. Same in the early Viscounts and Vanguards if anyone remembers them. I'll be back with the info soon though.

Muttly

Postby Muttly » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:13 pm

Right it's Flight KM6206 Exeter to Heraklion and the last date to travel is 30/10/2007:

Cost for two persons one way:
Adult Price £10-00 (£20-00)
Fuel Supplement £17-50 (£35-00)
Air Port Duty £10-00 (£20-00)
Totals £37-50 (£75-00)

I think they run almost daily by the look of it between April and October. Hope that helps.

www.exeter-airport.co.uk

Phaedra

Postby Phaedra » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:20 pm

Bloody hell! How can they afford the fuel on that price! Are "The Religion" subsidising this?

Muttly

Postby Muttly » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:38 pm

I used the Exeter Airport Site to go through the motions of booking a flight I think the only thing I forgot was to add £1-00 if you pay by Debit Card.

Most of these carriers are living on a margin of nothing. If they have not managed to fill up through holiday charters then they will fill their seats with anyone that they can pay the fuel and get their bum on a seat. Some of these companies need load factors of 90% to break even.

I think Air Malta is still subsidised by the Maltese Governmemnt and I know they are thinking of expanding, so my guess is you'll see more of this in the future particularly out of regional airports in UK and the Med.

Muttly

Re: AIR MALTA

Postby Muttly » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:45 pm

suebob wrote:It's from Exeter Airport, has been operating for some time. Our daughters are flying out on Tuesday (11th) same airport same airline - we actually booked it online for them, also, my sister is a Travel Agent and books the flight frequently to Heraklion via Exeter by Air Malta !
Hope this helps !

Was I correct on the cost? I followed it carefully and even I'm a bit boggle eyed at the price. Just repeated what I saw on screen, almost a turn up and go!?

carolineclaire

Postby carolineclaire » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:54 pm

Now I get it......The flight is probably an Air Malta aircraft sub-chartered to Uk Tour ops eg Olympic, Libra and Sky hols, but operated by XL. If so then you cannot book on air malta site as is not theirs to sell. Plus is a weekly charter and not daily.

The 37 pounds fare for 30/10 is again probably due to the fact that the last hols from UK are 23/10 for 7 nights and therefore the plane on 30/10 is what is classed an 'empty leg' so has to come out empty just to bring the people back. Often the tour ops will sell these empty leg seats very cheap just to recoup some costs as the plane is going there anyway.

I

Muttly

Postby Muttly » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:06 pm

The price I tried on various dates throughout the year and also when I first joined the forum and it was still £75 for two. The aircraft used is probably too big for the market at present and still has seats available despite filling the charter.

I'm pretty used to the conceppt as when my old man was in BA we used to get 10% tickets. I recall paying London Athens return at £9-00, Malta at £8-00, Rome £6-00 etc etc. The only danger was if an aircraft was full you could be off loaded or the other way round upgraded. Many times having paid my £9-00 or whatever I ended up in First Class when Tourist was full. I love caviar, champers, smoked salmon and then fine cigars.

Yes your correct sorry if I confused, the carrier is Air Malta on behalf of Libra, Olympic, XL etc.

As far as I can see it was/is available April/May to October

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:21 pm

Flown many times from Glasgow to Benbecula on Viscounts back in the 60s and 70s. Captain Black was famous on this and other internal UK routes for playing pranks. Never experienced any myself but plenty of stories from other flyers.

Warwick

Muttly

Postby Muttly » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:11 pm

Kilkis wrote:Flown many times from Glasgow to Benbecula on Viscounts back in the 60s and 70s. Captain Black was famous on this and other internal UK routes for playing pranks. Never experienced any myself but plenty of stories from other flyers.

Warwick

There is a few. I'm sure it was he that took exception to the company notice about Captains should endevour to entertain the passengers. He used to appear out of the cockpit and walk up and down the isle playing a penny whistle go back to the cockpit and announce over the PA "Ladies and Gentlemen you have been entertained per company orders".

Another one was a notrious lothario who when Mt Etna was erupting on the Rome to Malta leg in a Viscount would circle around the crater with things whizzing up into the air and an ashen faced first officer.

He was notorious of taking off saying "you have control" to the poor sod in the right hand seat, take out a copy of the Financial, mark up his shares and then fall asleep until landing. He got fired when a German Stewardress saw him at Frankfurt with a load of ski-ing gear and another Stewardess, he was supposed to be sick.

Another of his jokes was to unroll two balls of string from the front to the rear of the aircraft an use the rear toilet after telling an unsuspecting female passeger to hold them tight. He'd then come out of the loo pick up the string and said female would usually ask what she had been holding. When the reply came it was the controls of the aircraft a fainting fit usually followed.

My old man had a few good ones. Having been fed Retsina and other alcohol in the 60's in Athens he returned to his hotel feeling under the weather and ended up being sick in the wash hand basin blocking the U-bend. So having an adjustable spanner (yep that's in the briefcase) he undoes the plumbing and clears the blockage into a big Po supplied under every bed. No what to do with the contents of Po.

Well open balcony window and chuck it into the street. Which he duly does, leaving him with just the handle of the vessel as it parted into space hitting.........two Greek Police Officers in the street. Awaiting the inevitable he hears the stamping of big boots on the stairs as the two said guardians of the law go one flight up and drag kicking and screaming from his bed a German businessman who had been staying at the hotel. They proceed to administer summary justice and all you could here wailing doen the street was the sounds of one fat German going to jail.

However the crew of his aircraft not quite been done with Athens then turned to the fabric of the building. His Chief Stewardess Katie was a 45 year old battleaxe. The walls of the hotel were made of horsehair and plaster. So later that night you can imagine his surprise as the naked rear end of his Chief Stewardess appeared through the partition wall aseated on the wash hand basin. The horsehair wall not quite supporting her weight!

And you thought they were all professionals!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:21 pm

A colleague of mine claimed to have seen the ball of string trick but I was never sure. He also claimed that on one occasion he was doing the usual blurb on the intercom and mentioned that they were flying over Ben Nevis but it couldn’t be seen for low cloud. He then paused for a few seconds, said “Oh sod it”, side slipped down to just below the cloud base and flew once round the mountain in both directions so everybody could get a good luck.

A second colleague claimed that Capt Black once boarded the plane dressed in civvies and sat in the front seat reading a paper. He was getting more and more agitated and kept looking at his watch. Eventually he leapt up and announced in a loud voice that he was sick of waiting for the pilot and he would fly the damn thing himself, which he duly did to the horror of the passengers.

Warwick

Kathleen

Postby Kathleen » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:31 pm

carolineclaire wrote:Now I get it......The flight is probably an Air Malta aircraft sub-chartered to Uk Tour ops eg Olympic, Libra and Sky hols, but operated by XL. If so then you cannot book on air malta site as is not theirs to sell. Plus is a weekly charter and not daily.

The 37 pounds fare for 30/10 is again probably due to the fact that the last hols from UK are 23/10 for 7 nights and therefore the plane on 30/10 is what is classed an 'empty leg' so has to come out empty just to bring the people back. Often the tour ops will sell these empty leg seats very cheap just to recoup some costs as the plane is going there anyway.

I

Thanks Carolineclaire, what I was trying to say, obviously not too clearly! Air Malta are operating as a sub charter company! Some of us are more familiar with ops than others :wink:

Muttly

Postby Muttly » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:34 pm

Kathleen wrote:
carolineclaire wrote:Now I get it......The flight is probably an Air Malta aircraft sub-chartered to Uk Tour ops eg Olympic, Libra and Sky hols, but operated by XL. If so then you cannot book on air malta site as is not theirs to sell. Plus is a weekly charter and not daily.

I

Thanks Carolineclaire, what I was trying to say, obviously not too clearly! Air Malta are operating as a sub charter company! Some of us are more familiar with ops than others :wink:

Yep I remember one dark night over Berlin, the flak was intense and........oh sorry different reality.

Muttly

Postby Muttly » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:51 pm

Kilkis wrote:A colleague of mine claimed to have seen the ball of string trick but I was never sure. He also claimed that on one occasion he was doing the usual blurb on the intercom and mentioned that they were flying over Ben Nevis but it couldn’t be seen for low cloud. He then paused for a few seconds, said “Oh sod it”, side slipped down to just below the cloud base and flew once round the mountain in both directions so everybody could get a good luck.

A second colleague claimed that Capt Black once boarded the plane dressed in civvies and sat in the front seat reading a paper. He was getting more and more agitated and kept looking at his watch. Eventually he leapt up and announced in a loud voice that he was sick of waiting for the pilot and he would fly the damn thing himself, which he duly did to the horror of the passengers.

Warwick

When they introduced the Trident in its Mk1 form it was an 88 seat bullet that had a cruising speed of .89 Mach. But because of its swept wings and high tail with the third engine its approach and take-off was either very steep and uncomfortable or shallow and more so.

When they surveyed it for Route-X to Athens they found at the end/threshold of the main runway an enormous and old Olive Tree. The tree was not high enough to cause a physical instruction as such but was deemed to have been in the landing and takeoff envelope so needed removing.

The airport authorities all shrugged their shoulders on this and directed BEA to the farmer who owned the tree. So my old man who was a Senior First Officer then together with the Flight Manager and a Second Officer of the Trident fleet flew down to Athens to see this farmer and see what could be done.

Arriving late morning and explaining through a Greek groundstaff interpreter they ended up drinking so much wine and raki they could not stand. All payments were refused by the farmer who set about his own Olive Tree with an axe for the good of the Nation. After all five and the farmers son had a go with the axe they managed to topple this mighty tree down.

The next he knows he is waking up in a bed kindly supplied by the farmer and family with some toothless lady (a daughter as it turned out) offering him water at some late hour of the morning. As he said what he used to do for the company!

Waking in the

Return to “General Discussion & News”