IKA Facts please

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
The Adjectival LFB

Postby The Adjectival LFB » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:05 pm

Does any one know where the line is drawn; it would appear not when a building licence is required. I assume that if everyone trotted off to IKA before opening their toolbox there would be quite a queue.

Regards, LFB
Lowell, Frank and Townes - all gone now.

latsida

Postby latsida » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:10 pm

yes you go to the IKA office with your plans for the work you want to do.If you need a building permit this will be worked out when this is issued and taken to the IKA,if not you go to the IKA office and they may send someone to your property to check on your intended project.IF you read Carolina's post she explains it quite clearly.
although not the same system in the UK we also need planning permission from our local councils and plans have to be drawn up which can be passed or rejected and there is sometimes a bit of a wait.
The IKA office in Neapoli is very efficient and friendly but you must go to them first as its saves a lot of time in the long run.Also be aware that as the owner of the property you and you alone are responsible for paying the IKA.Had a friend who gave his builder the money and later when he came to sell the house found it had not been paid and he had to pay again plus fine. :shock:

The Adjectival LFB

Postby The Adjectival LFB » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:41 pm

Hello Latsida, I don’t think I can have made myself clear. Do IKA need to be consulted before I put up my washing line, or before I install a birdbath? What about a shrine, an outside oven/grill, small retaining wall, perimeter wall? At what level of “project” do I need to consult them? I’ve read the entire thread and the answer to this question does not seem to be clear.

Regards, LFB.

latsida

Postby latsida » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:09 pm

HI there. definitely not a washing line or if your wall fell down and you rebuilt it.,nor anything cosmetic ie.replacing taps ,bath etc.but new construction- extensions , pergolas,or anything that changes the property.I suppose if the birdbath was incorporated into a permanent new wall or building that would qualify.Dont know about those large BBQ oven thingies though.Its easy to check at the office ,they will tell you if the work you are doing needs the IKA paid.Sorry I made it sound as though my friends builder went off with the complete payment but I think my friend only paid him for the workers contributions which was not the whole ammount.this was five years ago when we were all new here and didnt understand what the payments were for,not sure I do now :?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:16 pm

In the 1980s, when Russia was undergoing perestroika, I visited the country several times acting as a consultant to a Finnish company. When people back home asked me what it was like I described it as follows:

There are rules!
You absolutely MUST follow the rules!
You have no idea what the rules are!

Sometimes Greece feels a bit like that.

Warwick

The Adjectival LFB

Postby The Adjectival LFB » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:09 pm

Thing is it saddens me when I think of what this place (not The Forum!) will be like when it's come through to the other side of its own 'perestroika'.

When the IKA men come from Athens to sort out the Sfakian shepherd.... I'll be gone.

Regards, LFB.

paulh

Postby paulh » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:19 am

I think the problem here is that what is happening is a slight extension of Warwicks Russian rules

There are rules!
So you try play it by British rules about rules

sorry but that is illogical, you must learn the Greek way

There are rules!
So leave it till tomorrow

or the Cretan way

There are rules!
Ahh but its Athens where the rules are made and this is Crete

The Adjectival LFB

Postby The Adjectival LFB » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:24 am

BRAVO!

Phaedra

Postby Phaedra » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:55 am

paulh wrote:
or the Cretan way

There are rules!
Ahh but its Athens where the rules are made and this is Crete

Ah! This is what I so love about Crete - benign anarchy!

The Adjectival LFB

Postby The Adjectival LFB » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:42 am

It’s certainly a breath of fresh air to live in a society that is self policing as opposed to one that is policed. Better not say any more – my anarchy may not be seen as benign!

Regards, LFB.

paulh

Postby paulh » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:02 am

Agreed LFB and here is a sort of example

Parking police in Xania, you are parked in a no parking tow away zone, they come along and blow their whistles, you lean out of the shop doorway and wave and smile at them and hey thats ok no need to move your car as you really haven't left it. So you go back inside and have your coffee and chat and can be there another hour with them going past several times, no problem they know where you are.

Thats 9 times out of 10. On one in ten times you better get out there fast and shift your car otherwise you will not only have a ticket but you will have a load of verbals if they see you getting back into your car later on.

How do you know which is the one in ten time, answer is you don't but thats the price you pay for having the laid back attitude the other 9 times. After a while you do begin to sense which is the one time so even less of a problem.

A much more human and pleasant approach than the rule stickler/jobsworth approach.

Around Xania if there are any stories flying around about fines being applied heavily in whatever aspect of life it is automatically assumed (and usually said) that it must be a team over from Athens for a week to do some revenue collecting

And now I go to try out what I have said, I just hope it's not the one time as its bl**dy difficult trying to walk through Xania carrying an A4 printer

latsida

Postby latsida » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:14 am

The IKA men wont come to "sort out the sfakian shepherd" cos he probably hasn't done any renovations to his family properties for years. :D
and he wont be selling his home anyway.An english man here has been renovating his large house himself slowly for a number of years,as far as I know he has no building plans and has not paid any IKA (he told me once that because he was doing it himself he didnt have to pay!!).No one will 'shop him' though, at least not the locals ,whether its because they are not aware of the relatively new IKA rules or its a case of 'benign anarchy' I dont know. maybe a disgruntled ex-pat who has a large bill or a grudge could do so..The problems will arise if he needs to sell the property or bequeaths it to family who will have a hefty bill to pay. :cry:

Return to “General Discussion & News”