Watersports

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Muttly

Watersports

Postby Muttly » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:46 pm

Watersports in Crete? Mrs Muttly is just about to engage some consultation with a watersports importer/exporter to the UK who has new branches in Portugal, Spain and France.

What are the main watersports in Crete. I have read of what is supposedly there but local knowledge is far more to the point!

Diesel Doris

Postby Diesel Doris » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:23 pm

Actually Muttly I'm going to take offense... and probably offend as well...

If you are so interested in a) moving to Crete and b) seriously considering some sort of business enterprise there, why don't you actually spend some time on the island yourself?

Nothing better than first hand experience despite the wonderful work and assistance of other members of this forum

Kind regards

Doris

Muttly

Postby Muttly » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:58 pm

I am sorry you have taken offence. I am afraid it is not quite as easy for me to just jump up and fly over, you see I am 75% disabled and rely on my wife for much.

Unfortunately with no living relations and no one to care for me it would be very difficult at this time for us to go on holiday leaving six animals at short notice, bring them (impossible at this time).

My wife cannot make a scouting mission because there is no one to look after me, in addition we are having to move at this moment due to local problems with spring water where we are. This we will be based on a remote farm where I have no Internet links. Threfore this is the last week I can regularly use this board.

We are in the process of arranging our affairs, learning to read and write greek with a couple of other languages to back it up. We are doing our best to read ans assimulate as much knowledge as possible. I am desperately trying to get fitter. However there is nothing better than local knowledge is there.......so you all have that and when and if I aquire it I will happily pass it on too.

Out of the blue came a contract for my wife to work on and with a large water sports equipment concern with openings in other countries. I used to swim and dive, I am accomplished with boats and I accounts for hundresds of lives saved. When you are diabled you will find that there are only really three places you are really free, behind the wheel of a car, in freefall from a plane (done that, got T-Shirt) and in the sea.

Starting a business.........not my original intention at all, I have to point out I do not need to work. However if I can do something that I enjoy and at the age of 52 have an even better and more secure life do you not think I might owe it to my wife to try after all since 1998 she's only had 25% of what she married.

Have we become so self centred and bereft of compassion, care, interest to and in to each other, that we cannot freely exchange knowledge and advice. If that is the case why do we join forums such as this? Sureley it can't be for the purpose of sniping at each other, apart from good natured banter, if I am in a position to either dispense my knowledge or advice I freely will.

The Adjectival LFB

Postby The Adjectival LFB » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:07 pm

Don't savage her Muttly!
Lowell, Frank and Townes - all gone now.

Muttly

Postby Muttly » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:09 pm

Corner this rat and..........

The Adjectival LFB

Postby The Adjectival LFB » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:16 pm

As Johnny might have said "it's a tough riverbank" (maybe you're too young for that one!)
Lowell, Frank and Townes - all gone now.

Muttly

Postby Muttly » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:29 pm

The Adjectival LFB wrote:As Johnny might have said "it's a tough riverbank" (maybe you're too young for that one!)

Johnny Morris, "Tales of the River Bank", BBC1, Watch with mother, Ratty, Hammy the hampster and Guinea Pig. Little boat, hot air baloon and a two bar KitKat after lunch.

Yes but people do not have to blunder out of their way to make it tougher.

andheath

Postby andheath » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:39 pm

Not sure but I heard the most popular water sport on Crete was swimming. Has Mrs. Muttly got something in a nice shade of magenta, size 32, not too long and quick drying. Oh and I like one of then net type liners that keep everything in place and a pocket.

Andy
This Cretan Adventure thing is way beyond a joke.

Muttly

Postby Muttly » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:52 pm

I'll have her pop over to Harvey Nicks for you before we leave or would you like it delivered. I'll have my "smalley boy" (such a cherub) pop over cargo after he's finished his chimney duties.

Perhaps you could accomodate him in the coal shed for a couple of days and feed him some flat breads but please no protein, it makes gives him ideas beyond his station.

Besides I don't want him too fit and agile otherwise I cannot manouver my bath chair round quick enough to give him the thrashing he so decidedly and daily needs. Oooooooer.

Hope it's going well, keep your pecker up, wish I could.

Kinda

Postby Kinda » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:26 am

This is for me yet another example of how difficult communications on forums can be at times.

The initial question for me was not a problem but it seemed to hit the wrong spot for someone but not sure why and then of course when the issues surrounding the original question come out it the reason for the question becomes a lot clearer.

I think sometimes on a forum its simply better at times not to reply if you have an issue but realise this is sometimes difficult and of course the odd spat on a forum keeps it alive.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:49 am

So in reply to the original question ;)

The main watersports around Chania are to the west at Agia Marina beach (Hi Nita. Am enjoying the read!). Haven't been for a while but they used to have jetskis, water skiing, paragliding, banana boat, the biscuit, pedaloes. Not sure about windsurfing.

Muttly

Postby Muttly » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:08 pm

Thanks for that Carolina, Andheath and myself have agreed to play linguistic tennis by the way. I think it's keeping one of us sane!

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:23 pm

Carolina wrote:Not sure about windsurfing.
There's a small windsurfing and sea kayaking operation at Almyrida.

Filippos.

Phaedra

Postby Phaedra » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:04 pm

filippos wrote:
Carolina wrote:Not sure about windsurfing.
There's a small windsurfing and sea kayaking operation at Almyrida.

Filippos.

plus they now have dinghy sailing lessons (actually, they look like cats rather than dinghies)

And Muttly - stop being so dastardly! :wink:

latsida

Postby latsida » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:20 pm

Which part of the island?all along the north coast there are watersports.seen windsurfers at Istron and Sissi .All the large resorts Herissonisos Malia Stalis have more than one water sports provider on their beaches .think you may find it difficult to "muscle in" as it were on their territoryThe beaches are run in this area by the local councils .perhaps you could enquire from them if they would issue you with a licence.there could be a waiting list :)

Return to “General Discussion & News”