Im comming soon !

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
dave

Im comming soon !

Postby dave » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:13 pm

Hello all,
I hopefully will be heading over to Crete soon to start the next chapter in my life.
I am a 41 year old from London who has been living in Sweden for the last 13 years but have got a bit fed up with the very long cold winters.
Befor Sweden I was living in Rhodes. 3 years of long seasonal work and 2 permanant years so I have a bit of Greek behind me and of coarse fluent in Swedish.
This time round its a bit more serios than back then as Lena my partner and I have two young kids , a 2year old and 9 months. Lena is in the hotel branch and I flit from car repairs to sales to cooking to basicly whatevers needed
Ive read some posts and the work situation looks a bit grim though.
I suppose im writing just to get some positive feed back before the big leap.
Great Forum
Dave

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:36 pm

Good luck Dave

I'm sure you've read/know a lot already (from your time in Rhodes). Your kids are young enough that they will be speaking fluent greek before you can say boo!!!

You'll get plenty of information/advice here.

All I can say is, if you don't do it now you'll never do it and then you'll spend the rest of your life thinking 'what if...'

Welcome...
Living in Crete!!

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:35 am

You're quite right that the employment situation is pretty dire. There are pretty high levels of unemployment and many Greeks, let alone foreigners, find it extremely difficult to get permanent work. Having said that, with a bit of Greek already you stand more chance than most.

It could also depend to some extent on the part of Crete you decide to settle in. In Apokoronas there's a lot of house building going on so jobs, mainly labouring, are usually available but it's hard work and low pay. You may also find work on the sales side with one of the many estate agents or developers, many of them British, that have sprung up in the last few years. Similarly, many foreigners have set themselves up in house and garden maintenance, house inspection for absentee owners etc. If you think of doing something similar you'll need something to see you through while you get the necessary licence through the bureaucracy which can take a while. (Without the licence you'll be illegal.)

Then, there's seasonal work; mainly olive harvesting in winter and something connected with tourism in the summer. As I'm sure you know olive picking is long hours of hard work for not much pay and jobs in tourism aren't likely to pay well enough to support a family.

Sorry that all sounds negative but rose tinted specs are pointless. Having said that you're fairly young and with the right attitude have a chance of making it work. As Ishall said, "If you don't do it now ... ..." and if it doesn't work out at least you've tried and won't suffer the "what ifs".

Have you looked at the main site? There's lots of helpful info there and it will be worth having a trawl through the old threads as there have been similar questions previously with many useful answers. Browsing through the titles may help as the search facility, like any other, depends on using the right keywords.

Filippos.

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:03 am

Can I recommend Carol's book (Living in Crete - see the main site). It has lots of information in it that you may or may not know already. It's a good read and a really good reference when you're thinking about 'the move'. If you don't want to buy the book, there's a vast amount of info on the main site! (Filippos, do we get 'benefits in kind' for doing the big sell????).

We're not moving for another year but there's lots to think about.

I agree with Filippos (although I don't live in Crete yet) it definitely depends where you want to live and do (for work). Tourist areas are very definitely 4-6 months work at not much pay and you have to fend for yourself for the rest of the time (until you've paid enough IKA (or similar) to get 'unemployment benefit' (as we would call it in UK).
Living in Crete!!

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:58 am

lshall05 wrote:Filippos, do we get 'benefits in kind' for doing the big sell????).
You'll have to ask Big C, it's her book.

Every time I've seen anyone mention it, here or elsewhere, it's always been reported as "good" at the very least and usually praised to the rooftops. Where else can you buy the distillation of 20+ years of experience of living here.

Filippos.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:18 pm

The book also looks at things to consider before making a permanent move - such as renting, testing the waters, having a contingency fund and having somewhere to move back to if need be.

Dave, as your children are very young you don't yet have to consider schooling for them so it's a good time to try it out. Work may be hard to come by at the beginning but then as you make friends and contacts things usually start to fall into place.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:52 am

P.S. Lynn & Filippos - good job. I must get a star system in place ;)

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:27 am

As long as you don't start turning us all funny colours, pink is just so no in!!
Living in Crete!!

Return to “General Discussion & News”