Corruption and Bribery

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Carolina
Site Admin

Corruption and Bribery

Postby Carolina » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:12 pm

Greeks doubt that the polls will change deeply ingrained social ills says Ekathimerini.

Whether to secure a permit for an illegal building, erase tax debts, skip long lines for a hospital operation or book an appointment with a popular doctor, Greeks know that it is best to have a “fakelaki” (little envelope) of cash handy to cut through red tape.

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_ar ... 2007_87795

Meanwhile, if you're trying to cover up a financial scandal, set fire to municipality records to destroy evidence - as per Zakynthos Mayor Akis Tsagaropoulos. He has been accused of arson in order to cover up evidence of his involvement in a financial scandal involving a 10-million-euro bank loan, and has been remanded in custody.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:35 pm

I have said it many times before but, based on my experience, all that happens when the government changes in Greece is that a different group of people receive the bribes, i.e. members of that government and official appointed by them, and a different group of people receive the patronage, i.e. the people who have supported that party. People not living in Greece may not realise that there are a huge number of posts that are political appointments and, except in very unusual circumstances, that change when the government does. This includes the senior civil service posts in every department, posts like the head of National Bank of Greece, posts like the head of companies such as Hellenic Aerospace Industries etc

Because PASOK had been in power for so long there was another subtle difference when ND took over. Everybody dealing with government departments under PASOK knew exactly who to bribe and how much to achieve a particular outcome. This had evolved and become entrenched over a long period of time. Under ND nobody was quite sure who to bribe or how much. This had the effect of significantly disrupting normal business between government and its suppliers of goods and services.

There was a period in the late 90s when it seemed to be improving but it soon reverted to normal. Essentially corruption is woven deeply into the fabric of Greek society. Everybody complains about it but also everybody will seek to use it if the need arises.

Warwick

Muttly

Postby Muttly » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:53 pm

We are no different, we just like to believe that we are not up to our elbows in corruption and everybody who is foreign is.

It's like the Lord Denning view of the law where in 1982 he took the view that many black jurors were not suitable for jury service. Well that got a resounding round of applause didn't it and he got, the sack.

Retired in Crete

Postby Retired in Crete » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:51 pm

If I remember correctly the Athens News did a survey some time ago and they found that over 30% of Greeks had been asked for or had paid a "suppliment" in the previous 12 months.

John

Muttly

Postby Muttly » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:39 pm

We call it being on the square!

Wayne d

Postby Wayne d » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:54 pm

The year prior to the Athens Olympics I spent quite a lot of time at a bar owned by a friend in Ammoudara. He was normally very lax with receipts and using the till properly (a'la most bars in tourist areas)
When the Government decided they needed more revenue to pay for the games' infrastructure they started sending the 'Tax Police' out to bars and Cafes to check all patrons were in receipt of a receipt! When they were found without one the bar owners were fined something like €500 per customer. What the bar owners knew what to do was offer €200 per customer and nothing more would be said.
Shocked as I was at the cost of the fines and the bribe for no questions asked, I commented that these 'Tax Police' must be the most hated people in Greece. This caused my friend to look at me shaking his head and he said, "No, no everyone wants a job with the 'Tax Police.'"
I just fell in love with the place a little bit more.
it is generally open and honest dishonesty. I'm not saying I agree with it but it happens all over the world. Just in Greece they do it as friends.

Return to “General Discussion & News”