Election Results 2007

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
paulh

Election Results 2007

Postby paulh » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:44 am

For anyone who really is interested in how the Greek elections went here is the official web page.

http://www.ekloges.ypes.gr/pages_en/index.html

(if you are running NoScripts or something similar you will need to enable scripts for this site)

Phaedra

Postby Phaedra » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:54 am

Thanks for the link to this site Paul. It keeps updating the results every minute or so. I like it. Appears to be a high turnout.

Ray

Postby Ray » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:27 am

Heres the results from the Athens News Agency:

ND, Karamanlis swept back to power; PASOK slumps as smaller parties soar

Ruling New Democracy (ND) party and Prime Minister Costas Karamanlis were easily swept back into power in Sunday's snap election, posting a better than projected and clear victory in the wake of late August's wildfires in southern Greece, whereas main opposition PASOK party utterly failed to capitalise on whatever voter discontent with the government.

Speaking in a brief nationally televised address from the Zappeion Hall in downtown Athens after midnight, Karamanlis again used the leitmotif of "reforms", saying the people have provided him and his government with a clear mandate for a "new, more dynamic beginning".

Karamanlis added that he feels a "double responsibility" for making his government better and avoiding mistakes in the future; one that is more effective and closer to the citizens.

Less than a month after the devastating wildfires, a re-elected Karamanlis said all of the government's commitments towards the fire-ravaged areas and individuals will be met, while he insisted on adhering to a moderate political climate and avoidance of extremism and divisiveness.

"I would like to thank you (voters) for your trust. Today, you spoke and spoke clearly and loudly. You chose the path that the country will follow in the coming years '' You gave a clear mandate to ND to continue with changes and reforms that the country needs; a mandate for a new and dynamic beginning'' I ask you to vote for stable government. This government now exists, it is the one backed by a social majority with a strong political volition, one accountable to its commitments," he said.

Additionally, Karamanlis said his government will emphasise efforts to fight poverty and maintain a stable economy.

With more than two-thirds (88.93 percent) of the vote counted in Greece's general election on Sunday at approximately 3 a.m. in the early morning hours on Monday, ruling New Democracy (ND) was leading with 42.47 percent to main opposition PASOK's 38.33 percent. The Communist Party of Greece (KKE) was recorded at 7.81 percent; the Radical Left Coalition (SYRIZA) 4.80 percent and the currently out-of-Parliament Popular Orthodox Rally (LA.OS) party 3.64.

If the current percentages stand, ND will field 154 seats in the next 300-MP Parliament; PASOK will hold 102; 21 for KKE; 13 for SYRIZA and 10 for LA.OS.

Ray

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:39 am

I have no allegiance to any party but if ND are going to be in power I guess it is better that they have an outright majority and don't need to rely on support from LA.OS other wise we might be reinstating the Grand Plan and invading Northern Epirus and Asia Minor.

Warwick

latsida

Postby latsida » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:40 pm

Forty seats are awarded to the party with the largest number of votes to make majorities more secure so that can not happen :D

latsida

Postby latsida » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:53 pm

just looked again at the official website and both main parties are well down on 2004 figures.KKE have improved their position and the left wing coalition have benifitted as well.Agree with Kilkis the sting in the tail is LA.OS lets hope their policies will soon be their downfall with the electorate. :)

paulh

Postby paulh » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:55 pm

Oh it can happen and very nearly did happen. It's not just a question of defeating the major opposition its being capable of defeating all the opposition parties if they combined. ND needed 151 seats to have a majority of 1 seat over all the opposition, they got 152 (with the 40 seats) which gives a voting majority of 4.

So had 2 seats actually gone to any of the other parties ND would not have had a working majority and would have needed allegiences (or another election)

Note also there was a new allocation system this time so seats won and lost in 2004 are not a true reflection of the varience compared against 2007 results

latsida

Postby latsida » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:01 pm

Sorry did not make make myself clear and being too simplistic.Mr Karamanlis had already stated that he would not make any alliances so it would have been another election but I assumed we already knew the result. Not looking at the number of seats just the votes cast and the percentages :)

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:07 pm

paulh wrote:Note also there was a new allocation system this time so seats won and lost in 2004 are not a true reflection of the varience compared against 2007 results

But presumably the percentages of votes cast are a good representation. I think these show quite a big movement of votes to minor parties.

Warwick

latsida

Postby latsida » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:22 pm

With just an overall majority of 4 seats Mr. Karamanlis may have problems.Think Mr.Venizelos may take over the helm at PASOK dont know how popular he is but he will have four years to make his mark. :D

paulh

Postby paulh » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:03 pm

Thats 4 clear votes if all the other parties vote together against. The chances of LAOS and KKE voting together are somewhat remote as is PASOK & KKE voting together.

As for Venizelos he has no credibility within his own party let alone nationwide. He was Minister of culture from I think 98 (maybe earlier) and whilst he could and did pontificate on the media about every subject under the sun he could not get his own department to get the Acropolis Museum anywhere near finished for 2004 and the Olympics when Athens was supposed to be a showcase.

Last night before 60% of the vote was in Venizelos had already announced he would be willing to lead PASOK. Papandreou had hardly conceded defeat and had not announced anything about standing down (and I am not sure he has yet). Nobody else has come forward yet and there are other and better candidates who will come forward as the (probably inevitable) leadership race comes about.

Put it like this, Venizelos makes 2 jags look subtle

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:44 pm

All my Greek friends, who are all quite well educated, told me that they couldn’t understand a word Venizelos says. Apparently he constructs very convoluted sentences and uses rather archaic phraseology.

Another thing to consider is ditching Papandreou for Venizelos would just be switching from one dynasty to another.

Warwick

latsida

Postby latsida » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:53 pm

they are all from political dynasties here,bit like the UK. the Pyms,Hoggs,Churchills Benns Neaves Paisleys etc.,not to mention the greatest of them all the Bush family in the USA.Mr Bush also talks in riddles and his election was a fiasco.
there must be something about politics that attracts these families.The Pyms involvement goes back to the Tudor dynasty. :P
See its all about dynasties :D :D

paulh

Postby paulh » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 pm

latsida wrote: :P
See its all about dynasties :D :D

so why no mention of Joan Collins!

latsida

Postby latsida » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:57 pm

Just looked up political dynasties on google and guess what-yes there is a link to a Joan Collins website 8)

Return to “General Discussion & News”