Election Results 2007

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:46 pm

Remember Joan Collins and Oliver Tobias in The Stud ? Crete related - I met him in Kalami a couple of years ago. A real life charmer.
Alas, I digress (but you lot started the Joan Collins talk).
Back to Papandreau - he just lacks the charisma of his late father and it's very unlikely that he wll ever follow in his footsteps (unless he dumps his wife to marry a stewardess 25years his junior)

Evangelos Venizelos (Pasok - ex culture minister)) is not related to the great statesman Eleftherios Venizelos, so no dynasty there. In fact Wikipedia states that he changed his name by deed poll from Tourkoglou!

latsida

Postby latsida » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:58 am

Thanks Carolina that is very interesting ,because of the Karamanlis and Papandreou families I too thought he was related to the great statesman.Have just read his bio and as well as being a professor of law with fluent french and english he has also published many scholarly works perhaps thats why he speaks Greek with convoluted sentences with archaic phraseology?anyway according to Kathimerini the race is on for the PASOK leadership :roll:

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:10 pm

Thanks Carol. I had always assumed he was part of the Venizelos clan. I will write out 500 times, "Must check my facts more carefully before posting".

Warwick

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:27 pm

The Mitsotakis' are part of the Venizelos clan. PM from 1990 to 1993, Kostas Mitsotakis is the second nephew of Eleftherios Venizelos and was also born in Chania.

Kostas Mitsotakis daughter is Dora Bakogiannis, ex Mayor of Athens who hosted the Athens 2004 Olympics, and current Foreign Minister.

More on the Greek political dynasties here:
http://www.answers.com/topic/political- ... ountry-f-m

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:51 pm

I think Dora is also a possible successor to Karamanlis?

Warwick

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:26 am

Kilkis wrote:I think Dora is also a possible successor to Karamanlis?

Warwick

So they say Warwick. She is currently the highest ranking woman in the history of the Greek government and she could become the country's first female PM.

Meanwhile in the PASOK race for the leadership there could be a female contender - Anna Diamantopoulou. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Diamantopoulou

Return to “General Discussion & News”