Heraklion Airport Car Hire - Recommendations please

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Cashey

Postby Cashey » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:26 pm

Don’t, we all all go out for a sociable drink here in the UK and she is always on soft drinks, she is going to be in for a shock with the rest of the party and the Greek people!

As for the raki, couldn’t agree more, although I find the honey version a lot more palatable, we have a bottle to demolish before we come over, what an excuse to come over eh, just to get another bottle!
Regards
Cashey

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:31 pm

You can really panic her if you tell her that it is totally illegal to take back the locally produced stuff to the UK?

Warwick

Cashey

Postby Cashey » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:27 pm

Warwick

No problem, I will just slip it in her suitcase! PMSL
Regards

Cashey

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:40 pm

Cashey wrote:As for the raki, couldn’t agree more, although I find the honey version a lot more palatable, ...
Rakomelo is readily available everywhere (even at tabletop sales).

I prefer my Raki without additives but there's one you might manage to persuade your wife is a soft drink - strawberry raki: too sweet for my palate but lots of ladies seem to find it very palatable. A good place to buy it would be a shop in Armenoi (the one in Apokoronas, not the one near Rethymno). Whoever would suspect a bakery of selling alcoholic drinks (and raki is not mentioned on the label.)

Kimsie

Postby Kimsie » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:57 am

Cashey wrote:Whereabout in Kent DID you live?
I’m in Sittingbourne.
Where are you renting in Crete?
Is there a place on Crete that you really like?

Cashey
don't be too jealous, we're not making the permanent move just yet. This trip is a holiday.
Can't believe you're in Sittingbourne - we're just outside Maidstone (Bearsted) so just down the road!
We have an apartment in Panormo which is a few miles from Rethymno & pretty central on the North coast so great for getting out & about.
I believe you said you stay in Georgioupolis. We had a week there a few years back when we holidayed with 16 others from our local pub & had a great time (what I remember of it!)

[quote="Cashey"]
As for the raki, couldn’t agree more, although I find the honey version a lot more palatable
[quote="filippos"]
strawberry raki: too sweet for my palate but lots of ladies seem to find it very palatable

All these years & I had no idea you could get different 'flavours' of raki :shock:
Must investigate next week!
Kimsie

Cashey

Postby Cashey » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:40 am

Kimsie

What a small world!
I would love to meet up with ya and have a good old chat about all things Crete.
I have done a lot of investigating regarding renting/buying so would love to pick your brains.
Let me know if you ever get a window and I will pop over and see you, be sure to pm any information regarding address etc.

Thanks for all your help, SO FAR!
Regards

Cashey

Kimsie

Postby Kimsie » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:13 pm

Cashey

we'd be happy to meet up for a chat but as you can imagine, having just (at the weekend) moved & going away early next week we're a bit pushed just now.
Suggest we get in touch after our hols to arrange something. Maybe meet up in our local watering hole where the landlord & landlady also own property in Crete (they're our neighbours out there!)
Kimsie

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:15 pm

[quote="filippos"]

"I prefer my Raki without additives "
Yes I agree ,..until I made orange Raki it's very simple get a barrel in our case a 30Lt plastic job and half fill it with the very tart small oranges that you would use for marmalade cut them in half.... then fill the barrel with raki and leave for a year .... It's a great tipple and can be used in cooking , pancakes with yogurt or cream , or in a rich fruit cake , think cointreau .... jeff

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:35 pm

Do it with lemons instead of oranges and you get a reasonable Lemoncello.

Warwick

Cashey

Postby Cashey » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:16 am

Kimsie

Blimey, will the last one out turn the lights off!
Your all at it, feeling a bit left out and very jealous!

Yeah sorry, didn’t want to hassle or put you under pressure, go and enjoy your hols, defo catch up when you can.

PMSL
This has turned into the raki channel!
Regards

Cashey

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:14 pm

Another really cool thing to do with raki, in a glass bottle with a screw top put 5 or 6
vanilla pods and fill the bottle with raki,,, vanilla essence ! good in deserts, cakes, keeps forever , it smells fantastic...jeff...

Return to “General Discussion & News”