Christening Gift

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
richardm

Christening Gift

Postby richardm » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:19 pm

Hello all, this is may first post so I hope I am doing it correctly ?.
We will be returning to Crete in October and we have been invited to a Greek Christening, Stavros is two and a half years old,can anyone help us with what would be a suitable gift for such an occasion.Regards Richard

Nita

Postby Nita » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:28 am

I have attended two Baptisms here and for the first, twin girls of close friends, I opted for the more traditional English gift i.e. silverware, and chose two silver photo frames. After the baptism when talking with the parents I explained that in England we tend to give silver, such as money boxes, small goblets and so on, they both liked this and added they make nice keepsakes.

For the second baptism, the grandson of a neighbour, I simply purchased a toy mainly because I had little time to look for anything else. Other guests, at both events, appeared to give toys, clothes and other baby accessories.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:09 am

I agree that a traditional English gift of a silver keepsake is usually very much appreciated by the parents, along with an explanation of the tradition. They get plenty of presents of toys and clothes so they see this as something unique.

Retired in Crete

Postby Retired in Crete » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:35 am

We gave a silver money box in the shape of a teddy bear which we purchased in the UK.

It was so popular that we recieved "orders" for two more!

John

richardm

Postby richardm » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:50 pm

Thanks for your guidance and advise we will follow you recommendations. P.S great book Carolina.

Return to “General Discussion & News”