Babies

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
JulieC

Postby JulieC » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:03 am

HI

Again thank you so much for info. Selena that all sounds pretty much like Halifax hospital where I had Sienna!! I ended up in there for month before had Sienna due to pre-eclampsia. Staff left me to get on with (not into lots of fuss) I am really into alternative things so no prob with camomile tea. All sounds great to me.
Hope your 2 are doing great Selena, have you looked into nurseries out there or will you be full time mum with having 2?

The 40 day rule is bizarre but when you think about it after a c-section it doesn't sound too bad just told hubby need best rest for 40 days - he laughed!!

Thanks again
Julie
XX

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:32 pm

I think if you go back a couple of generations in the UK you will find that the mother and child did not leave the house until they had been "churched".

Also worth noting that in the orthodox church the baby does not have a name until it has been baptised, even though the name is usually known because of the convention of using paternal grandfather, maternal grandfather for first and second boys and paternal grandmother, maternal grandmother for first and second girls.

Warwick

HPeponi

Babies

Postby HPeponi » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:34 pm

I too had Dr Theodoros Katassos deliver my last baby, a handful of years ago. Although the anti natal care at Agios Nikolaos General Hosp was something I didn't look forward to due to long queues and standing in a disorderly line to wait my turn, Dr Katassos was always cheerful and encouraging. Despite having had other babies born outside Greece, I was overdue with the last one and had to be admitted for induction of birth. When things went very wrong, an unforseen complication, I was whisked off for an emergency Caesarian. I surely must have had the same anaesthetist as you Selena. He was a lovely man in "Andy Pandy" trousers with longish greying hair in a pony tail. The last thing I remember was his stroking my hand as I went under the anaesthetic and he was there by my side, talking to me, as I woke up some time later. My baby had to be transfered to intensive care in Heraklion so I didn't see him for a week, until I was fit to leave Ag Nikoloas Hospital. All this time though Dr Katassos visited me daily with a progress report and encouraged me to use a breast pump to keep my milk flow going until I could be with my baby and feed him myself. Most of the nurses were friendly and did their duty but you do need someone there to help you with the basics.
I had been very apprehensive, due to the experiences of some other friends of mine who had had their babies in Agios Nikolaos in previous years. However, I was pleasantly surprised and also very impressed with the speed with which they took my very sick baby off to Heraklion and the care that he received while he was in Venizelos Hospital.
The 40 days rule is slightly more relaxed in our area now than it was when I had my first babies. They now have more experience of how "xenees" go about life after the birth of a baby and from their initial indignation/fury are now more irritated or amused by the different approach. I found with my last baby that I could take him out for a walk in the pram without offending anyone, but it was not right to visit any Greek friends houses if they disapproved of me being out before my 40 days was up. Lots of relatives gave us evil eye pins, which they wanted to pin on to the shoulder of the baby's clothing, but I was prepared and got them to put the pins on a pretty decorative pillow which I could transfer from the foot of the cot, to pram, to Moses basket, which seemed to keep them happy!! The Pt-soo, pt-soo, pt-soo though (see Kilkis no 2), I just had to grin and bear!
Having a Greek husband, I found diplomacy was the most important thing but I am also blessed with a wonderful mother-in-law, so I count myself very lucky!!

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:50 pm

Way back when - Ok 17 yrs ago - I took my 8 day old baby down to the local beach taverna in May for lunch. It was a boiling hot day and packed with locals from our village who were horrified 1) that he was only 8 days old and we were out in a public place and 2) (Warwick's number1) that he'd catch his death of cold.

Do that here today and I really don't think the reaction would be any different!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:23 pm

The other interesting thing I found living on the mainland is that not one of the young people we knew, all very well educated, would dream of taking a baby or a young child, say up to teenager, on holiday to an island. "What if it was taken ill? What would we do?" I don't know how all the children on Crete survive?

Warwick

JulieC

Postby JulieC » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:42 am

Hi

Just a quick question - can you have your baby in Heraklion rather than Ag Nik in case there are any problems with the baby?

Again thanks - all very positive and has totally put my mind at rest.

carolineclaire

Postby carolineclaire » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:36 am

A friend of mine recently had her 2nd child here. She wanted to go to a private clinic - mitera - she was very impressed with the place, doctors etc but she wanted a natural child birth and not C section.

She told me that because they literally book you in the clinic for your your estimated due date, bit like an hotel, they invariably will due a c section, even if not required for health reasons, but just to ensure that you have the baby at the right time!! She said, its almost like they need the bed for the next booking and dont want to be overbooked!! Also, in the event of complications and if an incubator was needed, they did not have any at the clinic and they would have to move the baby to Venizelos.

In the end, my friend decided to have the baby at Venizelos, one because she was adamant she wanted a natural birth and two, because of peace of mind knowing that if anything did happen, then no time would be wasted.

Naturally it worked out alot cheaper, the care and birth were excellent and she was glad that she went to Venizelos.

paulh

Postby paulh » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:02 am

I've just read this thread through and I have to say ladies that it's a lot easier being a man. Respect to you all for what you go through.

Selena

Postby Selena » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:30 am

In Stalis they are pretty used to foreigners although I did get told they were too cold a lot. Also I let them crawl round on the floor sometimes and get 'looks' for that. But as I have twin boys I get lots of respect from the old Greek women for that!

I did try to keep the babies out of sight for 40 days, only respecting the local custom, but they did get rushed over to my mums house two or three times just for my own sanity. I also went out before the 40 days, to have coffee out while daddy had the babies, again for my own sanity!

You can have the babies whereever you want, and yes there are more facilities at Heraklion, but whenever we visited Alexander I found it much less personal. Ag Nik was very friendly and a more personal treatment iykwim. E-mail me for more if you want! selenamartine@hotmail.com Love to meet up too, winter is a little isolating here.

paulh

Postby paulh » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:40 pm

I can't add in things about Cretan maternity facilities but we had twins 29 years ago and already had one 15 months older. Ok they were born in Northwick Park but they were christened here in Greece at 9 months old and we wandered all over Greece using buses with them and no problem. Just had to be well organised.

When we got on the bus we just handed the babies out to the old ladies who handed them back when the bus had a break, we had their food ready made and flasks of boiling water to heat it (if it needed it). Nappy change (disposable) and we were just in time to hand them back to the old ladies as the bus started the next leg. The old ladies loved it as it took away some of the boredom of the Thessalonika to Athens trip and we loved it for the few minutes to ourselves. General getting around on foot was with a lightweight folding double buggy and same again but single. The single had clamps and could easily clamp to the double if needed.

We got a lot of respect just because we had twins, just like Selena, as though I or we had planned it! It also gave me the right to walk with the brothers on the evening pedemestria (not seen that in Crete) not back with the women and children which had previously been my place.

A piece of information for you Selena...it gets easier after the first 25 years

They are all boys and have their grandfathers names as a middle name and were christened Alexis Christos and Andreas so that they could shorten them to Alex, Chris and Andy if they got problems from unusual names, They didn't and have never used the shortened names.

Selena

Postby Selena » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:55 pm

25 years... thanks for the tip!

Mine are both boys too, Matthew Juan and Alexander William so they both have name days (middle names were after family members). They are completely mad but loads of fun and its great how much attention we get walking down the street, even more so as there are new tourists every couple of weeks so noone gets used to seeing them. They are identical, are yours?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:37 pm

Don't believe Paul with that 25 year rubbish. Now at 35 years and counting. I'm starting to believe it never gets better even though they do say never say never.

Warwick

Selena

Postby Selena » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:41 am

well, the first 3 months were just a blur of sleep deprivation, but the last 6 months have been really fun. exhausting now they are crawling and cruising though, usually in opposite directions....glad Crete is child-friendly! Always someone to hand them to...

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:06 pm

Selena wrote:well, the first 3 months were just a blur of sleep deprivation, but the last 6 months have been really fun. exhausting now they are crawling and cruising though, usually in opposite directions....glad Crete is child-friendly! Always someone to hand them to...

I make that nine months gone. That means 15 months to the terrible twos. Now there's something to look forward to.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”