Humidity in Crete

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
alinoz

Humidity in Crete

Postby alinoz » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:54 am

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what the humidity in Crete is like?

I am told it is very bad in Malta - is it better in Crete? Thanks.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:22 am

Pouring with rain last night!!! Woke me up rattling off the metal chimney. Amazingly the ground looks completely dry this morning. Cloudy today so far.

Warwick

latsida

Postby latsida » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:36 am

At the moment its around 50% .You can track the levels on any good weather website.Also depends where you live on crete.I live on the slopes of the dikti mountains in the east which is usually cooler than the coastal areas.Ierapetra in the south is very hot and the west seems to get more rain in the winter.

Retired in Crete

Postby Retired in Crete » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:53 am

In eastern Crete the sun is shining but there is some cloud about. The current humidity is 52% with a air temperature of 25 C.

I consider todays humidity level to be reasonably high as for most of the summer months it was 32%-34%.

You can check the humidity, temp etc at Heraklion here;

http://www.wunderground.com/global/stat ... =infoboxtr

The site also has a historical search so that you can find the data for any previous date as well as daily and monthly averages.

John

daveg

Postby daveg » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:13 pm

This weather site is pretty good too!

http://www.meteo.gr/stations/heraclion/

DaveG

alinoz

Postby alinoz » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:25 am

Thanks all for your response. We are planning a permanent move to Crete
and are wondering what the year-round humidity is like. Do you get
mildew/mould inside houses and on clothes etc? Do you need to have
dehumidifiers to combat this?

Eleni13

humidity

Postby Eleni13 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:38 am

We had some problems with mould in the first winter. The house was mainly closed up for the months from November to March. In fact the mould badly affected some wool carpets that were stored in the loft space. I was reading a book about India at the time that we discovered it and coincidentally came across the information that every Spring in India the carpets were treated with lemon juice to remove mould.
As the damage was mainly on the back of the carpets, I tried it. It worked quite well, though I would not have used it on the top surface in case of bleaching.
Clothes would have suffered, but we had sealed them in bags with silica gel sachets-large ones. The bags were the sort that have a valve enabling air to be extracted with a vacuum cleaner.

The problem shouldn't arise if you are living in the house and are using a dry source of heating plus ventilation. We have had no mould since the house dried out.

filippos

Re: humidity

Postby filippos » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:17 pm

Eleni13 wrote:The problem shouldn't arise if you are living in the house and are using a dry source of heating plus ventilation. We have had no mould since the house dried out.
Last year, in our new apartment building, we did suffer with damp with the typical black mould appearing at various places where walls and ceilings meet despite having central heating and windows/doors on opposite sides open as often as possible, always opening the bathroom window when showering etc. and using the extractor when cooking.

We discovered a great product for getting rid of the mould. Spray it on affected areas and the mould disappears within five minutes with no rubbing (rather like the old TV ads for cleaning floors with 'Flash'); just wipe off excess spray to stop it running down the wall. If I'd been told about it and not seen it in action I'd have been very sceptical. It seems to be an excellent inhibitor, too.

The stuff's called "Micosteryl 1", recommended to us by the Xania paint shop "Kambakos". If anyone needs to know where the shop is e-mail me and I'll send a little map. (Brilliant shop for decorating products and advice). There's also a Microsteryl product that turns ordinary emulsion paint into a mould inhibitor. Haven't tried it yet but I intend to.

There was also a thread here about dehumidifiers that has plenty of useful info.
http://www.livingincrete.net/board/viewtopic.php?t=237

Return to “General Discussion & News”