Pink Slip Question

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
bobscott

Postby bobscott » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:06 pm

Al wrote:I agree with the last post except to add that my understanding was that Greece, like most other countries, wants some proof that foreigners living in the country have enough to live on, and won't be a drain on the government except in terms of mutual treaties (eg our entitlement to IKA).

Touche! By implication I meant that the amounts were totted up each year. Yes, at the moment, you have to prove you have brought in enough to live on without 'moonlighting'.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Tim

Update on Pink Slip Question

Postby Tim » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:46 pm

Hi all

Have just returned from a brilliant week on the island. The advice I was given here regarding the change in the law on assumed income for non-residents was spot-on. However, it might be worth noting for non-resident home owners that the cessation of the liability to transfer funds annually, and obtain a pink slip as proof, is not automatic.

You have to appoint a local representative to swear a declaration that you are not resident in Greece, and give this to your accountant who sends it to the tax office. Then your liability ceases. (The agent can't be the same party that submbits the form to the tax office).

That's how it's been explained to me, anyway. Of course both accountant and agent (I'm using my lawyer) charge for this service.

Hope anybody finds this info to be of use.

Tim

Kathleen

Postby Kathleen » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:08 pm

Thanks for that Tim, I shall check this out when I collect my copy tax return later this month. No mention of the need to get verification of non residence was made earlier in the year when I last saw my accountant.

Kathleen

Tim

Pink Slip Update

Postby Tim » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:13 pm

Hi all

I thought anybody who was following this thread might like an update. Unfortunately the person responsible for the quote below is an idiot.

However, it might be worth noting for non-resident home owners that the cessation of the liability to transfer funds annually, and obtain a pink slip as proof, is not automatic.

You have to appoint a local representative to swear a declaration that you are not resident in Greece, and give this to your accountant who sends it to the tax office. Then your liability ceases. (The agent can't be the same party that submbits the form to the tax office).

That's how it's been explained to me, anyway.

Despite his accountant speaking quite good English it turns out that the above info was almost completely wrong (although I'd swear that's exactly what she told me). Anyhoo, I'm now told that the declaration must be made by the UK tax authorities and be handed to said accountant along with a 'certified' Greek translation of the document. Then it's taken to a local representative to be somehow 'sworn'. Then, assuming all is in order, you can forget about the annual transfer/pink slip; although I'm now going to get a tax bill next year due to my tardiness. (Got a right telling off actually!).

It seems you can order a 'Tax Residency Certificate' from HMRC online (when the website isn't down), but has anybody had any experience of getting 'certified translation' of a legal document for the purposes of submission to the Greek authorities? I don't imagine it's cheap.

It's turning into a saga, this. Still, all part of the fun, I suppose.

Tim

Kilkis

Re: Pink Slip Update

Postby Kilkis » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:37 pm

Tim wrote:...but has anybody had any experience of getting 'certified translation' of a legal document for the purposes of submission to the Greek authorities? I don't imagine it's cheap...

Typically €30 to €40 per A4 sheet. There are lawyers who are certified to do translations. I've used Christiana Tsigaloglou who has an office at 13 Renieri St, close to the prison in Chania. She charged €40 the last time I used her but she subsequently spent a long time going through a Greek document that I had filled in myself and didn't charge me anything.

Usually your accountant will have access to an official translation service and it might be worth using that since they will be experienced in doing it for the tax authorities. When I had a full tax audit for tax year 2010 my accountant first submitted all UK documents in English. He said it depends on the person examining them if they will accept English versions. If not he said it would cost €30 per sheet but in the end it was not necessary.

Warwick

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:15 am

That's top notch info, Warwick. Thanks very much.
Tim

Return to “General Discussion & News”