Flat or Apex

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Donna

Flat or Apex

Postby Donna » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:21 pm

:) After moving from Corfu we now have to make a decision on the style of roof for our new house. After being used to many months of rain (Jan-March) we are a bit wary of the traditional Cretan flat roof. This is obviously a cheaper option but does it bring damp problems as all the roofs we have seen do not seem to have a great deal of sealant ie bitumen etc. There are also the advantages of a flat roof as it is easy to install solar panals and of course the satellite dish. So whats your opinion, flat or apex please let us know :D :D

Hudson

Postby Hudson » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:49 pm

Pitched for me - which I have. On the roof are 2 x 1,000 water tanks, solar panels with all the bits + tv & sat equipment.

Didn't seem to be any problem installing it all and it all survived the high winds (we're fairly high up and just back from the coast) earlier in the year.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with flat, just a personal preference.

allan

Postby allan » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:01 pm

Flat every time..especially here in Crete.

Its another floor level, Drying the Washing, Sunbathing, Flowers, Rest Area, kids play area. Storage. Ease of installation of Tanks, Solar, Sat. Eqpt.

Providing you have adequate drainage holes and a professionally installed rubber membrane covering the roof you should have no problems.

The best advantage....if you want to build another floor to your house you already have the foundations.

Just my opinion.

Retired in Crete

Postby Retired in Crete » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:18 pm

When we were looking for a house I wanted one with a flat roof, like you I envisaged using it to sunbathe, have BBQ's etc - untill I tried going on one. The concrete on the roof was hot enough to fry eggs on. Even though I had proper shoes on, with thick rubber soles, I had to leave after a few moments as the heat was starting to burn my feet.

We ended up buying a house with a pitched, tiled roof!

John

Ray

Postby Ray » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:31 pm

What a load of bollox.

It must have been a hot day or you had a crap roof.

Now here our roof, here in the posh end of Crete, is superb. It is flat. It is also heavily insulated. Plus it is tiled with reflective tiles. We can barbecue, dance, do whatever we like on the roof. We do not tend to go there when it it is very hot. We prefer the shade,

Life is life, you live it and then you die.

Ray

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:34 pm

Errrr. Half and half. Must admit we haven't used the flat bit much. Too hot this summer. If you are about to say it was mildly warm, Filippos, Shut up! We've got leakage into the boiler room but none so far into the main part of the building.

Warwick

Retired in Crete

Postby Retired in Crete » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:53 am

Ray wrote:What a load of bollox.

It must have been a hot day or you had a crap roof.

Now here our roof, here in the posh end of Crete, is superb. It is flat. It is also heavily insulated. Plus it is tiled with reflective tiles. We can barbecue, dance, do whatever we like on the roof. We do not tend to go there when it it is very hot. We prefer the shade,

Life is life, you live it and then you die.

Ray

Raymond,

1) To quote from a Tom Lehrer song "Don't write naughty words on walls if you can't spell" (from "The Boy Scouts Marching Song")

2) It was a hot day, but I didn't have any kind of roof in Crete at the time.

3) I totally agree that everything in the west, the posh end, is better than anything that the east can offer despite what a bearded gentleman on another site keeps saying! The east sucks, and since KTP is now here, it can only get worse. Please pass this message on to as many people as possible.

4) "Life is life, you live it and then you die." This is too profound and deep for my addled old brain to comprehend.

John

paulh

Postby paulh » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:52 am

looks like a few people were up way passed their proper bedtime last night!

Eleni13

Flat/pitched roof

Postby Eleni13 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:48 am

Like Warwick, we have a half pitched, half flat roof.

We never use the flat part, though it is large enough to open a taverna on and has a super view. It has had a slight leak since it was built, unnoticed because the water was running behind a wardrobe.
Last winter it became a noticeable puddle under the wardrobe & across the bedroom floor.

It seemed to be well constructed with a waterproof layer then tiles. So far, the builder isn't interested in finding or remedying the leak..

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:53 pm

Strangely enough, I have a sneaking feeling that we also have a slight leak behind a wardrobe. No water evident but I think mould is forming there. If we do then it is from the pitched part of the roof.

Warwick

latsida

Postby latsida » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:27 pm

do what all the villagers do in our village.at this time of the year they buy rubber roof paint for use on their flat roofs. paint on first coat in one direction and then the second coat in opposite direction. this has to be done every year.Yes west is best, please pass this on to any UK people who are yet undecided :D

filippos

Re: Flat/pitched roof

Postby filippos » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:33 pm

Eleni13 wrote:Like Warwick, we have a half pitched, half flat roof.

..... It has had a slight leak since it was built, ......... it became a noticeable puddle under the wardrobe & across the bedroom floor.

It seemed to be well constructed with a waterproof layer then tiles. So far, the builder isn't interested in finding or remedying the leak..
If you don't get satisfaction from your builder there's a firm in Xania with a great reputation for fixing roofs. A German friend of ours (you probably know him as he's lived in your village for several years) who is extremely particular and demanding had his roof fixed by them about three years ago and has been singing their praises ever since. Also, it seems, having given a quote for the job - regarded as very reasonable - on finding that the client had unexpectedly done some of the preparation work the boss spontaneously reduced his quote by about 20%. All I've had from them, personally, is some excellent advice, freely given, to remedy some flaking stone. Basically, it was, "You don't need me; take this and DIY. It's what I'd use and easy to apply." It worked.

Papagrigorakis, Apokoronou 154. 28210 93761 & 71366. The front of their premises is a shop selling all sorts of concrete additives, waterproofing solutions, stone sealants etc., etc.

As you leave Xania on Apokoronou they're on the right immediately after the last traffic lights about 3/4 of the way up the hill before the end of the one way. It's usually possible to park more or less outside the door. Papagrigorakis himself speaks good English but, if dim memory serves, he's normally there only in the evening. A couple of the staff have some English, too.

Filippos.

Return to “General Discussion & News”