villages in the north west

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
katharine

villages in the north west

Postby katharine » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:04 pm

We are coming over to Crete in a couple of weeks time, on Sunday 14th October, sadly just for a week, for a holiday, but also to have more of a look round to see where we would like to base ourselves for our “rental year”. We will be staying in Kalives, which we like very much, (thanks Filipos for suggesting the Aktigalinis Apartments and for all the flight information on your web site www.creteforyou.com ) and will be concentrating on the west. We will spend a day in Xania and plan to visit Kolimbari and Kastelli Kissomos, but I would like some advice, please. We’re not the sort of people who want to live in an isolated place, half way up a mountain or miles down a dirt track. We want a busy, active little place, not night clubs, but a few shops, tavernas, somewhere attractive, not too far from the north coast road, so that we can get about easily and not too far from the sea. Any ideas or recommendations for places we should explore? Are Kolimbari and Kastelli a good choice?

Katharine.

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:13 pm

Have a look round Alikianos which has a couple of supermarkets, ditto banks, quite a few shops of different sorts, tavernas and cafes etc. It's not far from the sea but not 'touristy' nor has it been over-built and there's a regular bus service to Xania. It's also relatively flat so if you're in, or close to, the village it's a comfortable walk to the shops.

We considered moving there ourselves but have decided that we want to stay close(ish) to Kalyves where most of our friends are.

Filippos.

PS Thanks for the compliment about the web site and the little 'plug'.

chris

Postby chris » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:38 pm

Hi,
Have a look inland from Kissamoss Kastelli, take the road to Elafonissi through Kaloudiana and wander around a bit in the car, it's a beautiful area and very handy for several good beaches, Chania is 35mins away,
airport 50mins, and kissamoss about 10-15mins.
Good hunting.

Chris.

Retired in Crete

Postby Retired in Crete » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:59 pm

I can only endorse the comments of Chris & Filippos.
I loved the area around Elafonissi, spectacular.

Avoid the east end of Crete, it is nothing compared with the west.

filippos wrote:We considered moving there ourselves but have decided that we want to stay close(ish) to Kalyves where most of our friends are.

Filippos.

Do they both live near Kalyves then?

John

katharine

Postby katharine » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:59 pm

Thank you gentlemen! I have just found the places suggested on the map. I wonder if it will be as easy on the ground, but that's part of the fun of driving around in Crete.
Katharine.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:15 pm

Pop in for a coffee, Katharine, if you do decide to look in that area. PM me for more details.

Warwick

Polyanna

Postby Polyanna » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:58 pm

I personally would avoid Kolymbari as it has more minuses than pluses, especially in the winter. Kastelli, however, is a no-nonsense Cretan town. It keeps going all year, has a thriving summer taverna industry and is a good centre for food and household shopping. Only 40 mins from Chania and several very good beaches nearby - also good bus connections to Chania, Falassana, etc. Many villages just inland have wonderful sea views. Not many foreigners live there yet, but English is fairly widely spoken in the shops and by all the younger people.

Return to “General Discussion & News”