Enough to drive you crazy!

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Retired in Crete

Enough to drive you crazy!

Postby Retired in Crete » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:15 pm

Has anyone tried to claim a British Government pension online?

My wife, who spent all her life in the UK 'till we moved here in 05, and is now approaching her "vintage" years, has just spent one and a half hours trying to fill in a claim form as an overseas claimant. Questions included:.
Full employment history in the UK with dates (DD/MM/YYYY)
Time spent in the UK, including holidays in DD/MM/YYYY format.
Last two addresses in UK also with dates.

Harsh penalties are threatened for false/incorrect information!

Before she had completed the form either it was "timed out" or we lost the internet connection.

As we both are getting to the stage where if is difficult to remember what we had for lunch, we are thinking of giving our UK address (our sons) to avoid all the strain on our old brains. Has anyone done this?

John

margarita

Postby margarita » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:33 pm

I completed the on-line form about 9 months ago, and I agree with you it is a nightmare.

I seem to remember that you can save the form and then access it again using a code number you are provided with.

I think there is an option to print the form and send it in by post.

As far as employment history and residences are concerned I think you can only do your best. Mine was fairly straightforward as I had only worked for 3 employers but my husband has had lots of different jobs and had to make a bit of a guess at some of the dates.

I don't know about giving a UK address - it may depend on where you wish to have your pension paid.

Good Luck

margarita

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:23 pm

Jean just printed off Form BR1, John, see http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/pdf ... _print.pdf , filled it in and posted it.

If you look at all the information contained on the 16 page form, plus you need to send original birth certificate and marriage certificate with it, it is a complete kit for somebody to steal your identity.

Warwick
Last edited by Kilkis on Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:12 pm

Warwick, why ever would anyone want to pretend to be John?

Filippos.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:57 pm

In a spirit of reconciliation I was giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Naw! He's never going to believe that so I don't see why anyone else should.

Grammatically you could interpret it that the first paragraph was addressed to John and the second one to everybody else, just in case anyone else is in the same situation, either now or in the near future.

Warwick

Retired in Crete

Postby Retired in Crete » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:33 pm

Please pay attention you two!

It is my wifes identity that could be stolen, not mine. Unlike some other people I am much too young to get a pension.

Good point you have raised though Warwick, food for thought. Seems that my wife now has a choice, she can either have her identity stolen by post or by computer hackers!

"A spirit of reconciliation" if that is alcohol please send it!!

John

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:12 pm

Unfortunately "Spirit of Reconciliation" is produced in western Crete only under a special dispensation from the EU for traditional products. Under Crete law it is not permitted to travel further east than the customs post just outside Rethymnon. It is not bonded and under EU law it must not be exported under any circumstances.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”