Crete the most expensive place to go on holiday!!!! Rubbish

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
STEVE.W

Crete the most expensive place to go on holiday!!!! Rubbish

Postby STEVE.W » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:41 am

See this article http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/holi ... nsive.html If would recommend bombarding the DM with comments at the bottom of the article, what a load of rubbish and sensationalism like this does not do the tourist industry any good at all. As for the PO constantly putting out these "surveys" to generate FX business, IMO they are one of the worst in the High St for FX.

peebee

Postby peebee » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:58 am

Comment placed, I see TD beat me to it.

concerned

Postby concerned » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:32 pm

Well I wouldn't say Crete is cheap anymore, here in Kavros some tavernas are charging 3 Euros for a small Mythos and 6 Euros for a spirit. Four of us ate out last night and including 2 Ltrs of wine and 2 beers the bill was 82 Euros

Rej

Postby Rej » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:56 pm

Blimey Rabbit, what were you eating?

Not to do with costs but this is the story we should be spreading.

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A ... 4xQZMTze-w

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:28 pm

Nice one for the video!

One meal doesn't prove anything. I have eaten out in Chania at over €25 per head and also for around €5 per head. In the latter case we drank more wine than the former and the "doggy bag" we took home made another meal the next day.

Last night three of us ate fish, generally regarded to be more expensive than other choices, in what many claim is the best fish restaurant in the Nea Chora area with 1.5 litre of wine and more food than we could eat for €36. When I visit the UK meals are rarely less than £25 per head.

Warwick

concerned

Postby concerned » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:55 pm

Yes i agree with other posters comments that you can eat cheaper than we did however my family who come to Crete to our apartment about 3-4 times a year have noticed big increases in taverna prices, on the strip in Kavros the cheapest you will find is a meal of the day menu for 10 Euros per head but on this menu the food is very basic. Beer and spirit prices are expensive and I would say about 20% higher than last year, beers such as Mythos is 3 Euros in most of them yet go into Georgiopoli and the same drink is 2 Euros. One of the reasons we purchased property in Crete was for the cheap standard of everyday living costs but this certainly doesn't apply to where we are where loads of tourists are staying Many people we have met have expressed suprise at the prices in the Taverna's and neighbours of ours tell me that they tend to eat in far more often because of the high prices. I don't feel you can compare the price you pay with what it would cost in the UK, i'm talking about the % increase that businesses are now charging. Perhaps you should come to Kavros for yourselves and look at the charges

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:58 pm

Rabbit wrote:...Perhaps you should come to Kavros for yourselves and look at the charges

After the picture you paint I think I will give that a miss.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:46 pm

Rabbit wrote:... have noticed big increases in taverna prices, ..
That sounds like they have the attitude, "There are fewer customers so we'll put the prices up to keep the money the same." Round here, with a couple of exceptions taverna prices have risen , maybe 5% in two years, and some places haven't had any general increase just slightly raised prices on a few selected items. "Specials" are mostly €10 including a beer or wine and the usual "free" deserts and tsikoudia. In most places a small draught beer is €1.50 and large €2.50. Bottled Mythos is usually €2.50 (500ml) and occasionally cheaper. Spirits have gone up some but I think that's mainly due to the increases in VAT.

Nine of us went to lunch (a la carte) on Wednesday - 8 starters, 3 salads, 9 main courses, a variety of "free" desserts (enough for everyone to have the equivalent of 2 each), 4 large beers, 2 small, 1Kg wine, several small bottles of tsikoudia and rakomelo. The bill was €99 including cover charge and tip. Plus the owner treated us to ½Kg wine and 5 large bottled beers. All was at regular menu prices, no special offers or deals. Last night's meal (for 2) at a beachside taverna was €23 for everything including live music and performances from a Cretan dance troupe.

Mind you, last Saturday we went to the most expensive place locally and paid €40+ but that included one of our starters @ €7.50 and I had one of the most expensive main courses.

As Kilkis, pointed out it depends where you go and, like him, I think I'll give your neck of the woods a miss. Why don't you come over our way, sometime?

fuzer

Postby fuzer » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:27 pm

I have to agree with Kilkis. Six of us have just spent the night in our local taverna, drinks, two plates of chips and Bar b q pork, we drank all evening, endless kilos of wine and 8 pints of beer. Equivalent to £17 per round in English pub. We paid 20 Euros each for whole evening.
ALWAYS FINISH WHAT YOU STAR

ipmcrete

Video

Postby ipmcrete » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:57 am

Did anyone else recognise the star of the video? it's Chris of Fun Boy Three in Vamos!

peebee

Postby peebee » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:51 am

According to the Daily mail today, the price of a family meal is down to £57.02 from £73.28 yesterday.
At that rate, by the middle of next week, if should be free :lol:

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:09 am

Well if you think about it in Greece a family meal would comprise grandfather, grandmother, father, mother, three children (optimum for tax purposes) and a collection of at least ten aunts/uncles/cousins plus kombaros and nonos. Even £73.28 seems pretty cheap?

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:12 am

Four of us were out in Almyrida last night: €55 for two starters, 4 mains, 2 bottles of Mythos, 2 sodas and 1/4 litre of red and cover charge. Free dessert and tsikoudhia. Will give Kavros a miss I think.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

jet

Postby jet » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:25 am

I ordered a Dorade fish cost 13 Euro for the fish, the next day I asked a fishmonger what does a fresh Dorade fish 5 Euro, I asked if the price is the same, yes restaurateurs will be 20% off, okay it's like I learned in Hotel - Restaurant schools that purchase prices are multiplied by 3 to find the sale price

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:46 am

jet wrote:I ordered a Dorade fish cost 13 Euro for the fish, the next day I asked a fishmonger what does a fresh Dorade fish 5 Euro, I asked if the price is the same, yes restaurateurs will be 20% off, okay it's like I learned in Hotel - Restaurant schools that purchase prices are multiplied by 3 to find the sale price

Things like Dorade (Tsipoures) are easy to prepare and cook at home and always very expensive in restaurants. I always opt for things that are messy/fiddly to prepare/cook at home and relatively cheap in restaurants. Gavros, Sardellas Octopus etc. Yes the percentage mark up on these is also high as it is with all food and drink but the final price is still not high. I know of tavernas in Chania that are selling Lidl's €2.50 wine for €25. Pretty similar everywhere in the world although when I last visited Bulgaria 30 years ago the mark up was only 2x. If I want to drink spirits or bottled wine I do it at home. If I am out I drink wine from the barrel. The cost of what people refer to as "beer" is irrelevant to me as I cannot imagine why anybody would dream of putting the stuff they sell here in their mouths. I only drink beer when I go back to the UK.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”