Crete the most expensive place to go on holiday!!!! Rubbish

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
mouche

Postby mouche » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:41 pm

First of all thanks a lot for rundown of Kalyves tavernas. When we are in Crete we pass thru Kalyves most every day, but seldom stop there for a bite. Will have to do something about that next time we go down to Crete!

STEVE.W wrote:
mouche wrote:
STEVE.W wrote:

Will they not cost excactly the same amount as before in euro? If not, why so?

Well oil is priced in $, what generates the electricity in Crete? As most things are imported, TV's, cars etc, these will cost a fortune as the currency will have been devalued only local produce will be cheaper and not even Mythos as this is brewed by a large conglomerate, not a Greek company believe it or not. If anyone is under the impression that going back to the Drachma will be a return to "the good old days" then they are living in cloud cuckoo land.

All this is nice and dandy, but my point/question is that no imports will be more expensive in euro (or pound or kroner or yen), but in New Drachma. This again provided that Greece indeed will leave the euro/eurozone, which I by the way don't think will happen, and if/when the New Dracma which likely will be converted 1 to 1, will devalue. Or have I missed something here?
Last edited by mouche on Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

STEVE.W

Postby STEVE.W » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:47 pm

If they go back to the Drachma it may well be a 1-1 conversion but then the money markets will change all that very quickly. Example 1€ may buy you £0.75 but 1 Drachma would maybe buy you £0.20 making imports much more expensive.

mouche

Postby mouche » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:57 pm

I feel like I'm really dumb! If one pound buys one new dracma and later on as a result of beeing devalued (which I gues is why one is even thinking to go back to dracma) one pound buys two dracma, then the imported good will double in price in drachma but stay the same in pound?

Yes or no?

I'll even claim that local produce will be just as cheap, or expensive, for the locals earning their euro today/dracma tomorrow, but it will be cheaper for those of us that make our living in pound or kroner? Yes?

mouche

Postby mouche » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:07 am

Kilkis wrote:
Not quite. Hypothetical example.

You have a valid point but;

The drastic increase in the price of petrol will in time lead to a much better/cheaper system of transportation. Local produce, as we are fortunate to see a lot of in Crete, will not suffer to a great extent as the petrol represents only a minor expense to the producer.

In Norway today we no longer produce ready to eat fishmeals(fishfinger and such) but we find plenty of them in the freezer in every shop, how? The fish is frozen at sea, shipped to china (!), thawed and cut, frozen again and shipped back to Norway to be sold!

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:14 pm

moved 2 crete wrote:......the same could be said of the English sharks in charge now in England.
And for the last 30 years or more. Too many senior politicians come from political dynasties and too many MP have done b****r all outside politics. It's a problem throughout the 'developed'/'developing' world.

evansmr1

THE THREAD HAS LOST ITS WAY

Postby evansmr1 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:14 pm

Contributors to this thread are getting off the subject.

The thread is about Holidays in Crete, are they expensive? Not also the corruption that stems from almost everyone (same in UK).

I think that the Thread should return to the initial discussion.

There are many great cheap places to eat and stay in Crete, but unfortunately there are also some cheating rogues that are ripping off the Tourists. I went to such a place. I asked for the bill, which was itemised, a large number of items as there four of us. The cheeky owner had only gone and added an extra 30 euro to the Bill. When I pointed this out there was no apology, just a shrug of the shoulders. I accept that a mistake can be made when adding up the bill, but not to say sorry. needless I do not visit that establishment again.

I always advise Tourists when asked were to eat, look for where all the Greeks are eating, there are some great places, perhaps limited menus, but wonderful food and company.

Had a Tourist stop me in Agios Nikolaos the other day enquiring where the nearest McDonalds was !!!!!! such a sad Englishman.
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magnaike

filippos

Re: THE THREAD HAS LOST ITS WAY

Postby filippos » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:55 pm

evansmr1 wrote:Had a Tourist stop me in Agios Nikolaos the other day enquiring where the nearest McDonalds was !!!!!! such a sad Englishman.
You should have directed him to Heraklion ......... "It's just a few kilometres along the highway ............" He just might have set off.

fuzer

Postby fuzer » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:40 am

Greece has been headline news for the last 3 years on every news channel in Europe this has influenced the destination holiday choices of the British people so of course this will be reflected in the cost of living and the fears, often unfounded, held by people wanting to enjoy their holiday. Its no good simply saying - "I had a lovely cheap glass of wine and a Greek Salad" sensible adults reading this site will grasp the links between political corruption as a major cancer and cause of the mess Greece is in.
Having said that last night 8 of us had several litres of wine - huge portions of Lamb - chicken - Pork - 12 bottles of beer - in a beautiful Crete village (eastern Crete) total cost €87. for 8 people sat in the heat of the evening under a huge tree, from 7.30 til midnight. and we could smoke without feeling ostricised.
ALWAYS FINISH WHAT YOU STAR

kvsteele

Postby kvsteele » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:28 am

Could you name restaurant and village please Fuzer. Thankyou.
Moved onto Crete finally...It's been a long wait

fuzer

Postby fuzer » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:06 am

Georges - Katarinas Taverna in Tourloti - half hour west of Sitia.
ALWAYS FINISH WHAT YOU STAR

STEVE.W

Postby STEVE.W » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:20 pm

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:48 pm

This thread is getting long & unwieldy so some posts have been moved to 'Meanderings.."
www.livingincrete.net/board/viewtopic.php?t=6158

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:44 pm

An interesting article, but would this be strictly necessary? Granted, it's widely expected that the banks would close for a few days given an orderly 'Grexit' in order to prevent capital flight and to overstamp Euro notes in preparation for life after the single currency, but presumably shops and restaurants would continue to trade in 'old' Euros during this period - people will still need to eat.

Cash machines would certainly be frozen, so I guess it highlights the inadvisability of drawing Euros piecemeal whilst on holiday rather than changing currency all at once.

That said, I wish tourists the best of luck in paying for a round of drinks, ice creams etc at a taverna with a credit card!

Tim

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:28 pm

Tim wrote:I wish tourists the best of luck in paying for a round of drinks, ice creams etc at a taverna with a credit card!
In many areas that will apply to most shops and more than a few petrol stations. Cash is king.

Ela

Postby Ela » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:22 pm

This IS a long thread and I had to digest it a little before I am putting in my 2 cents. I agree with Ann McCallum, Crete IS expensive.

It may not be expensive compared to Europe in general, however, it used to be an affordable destination in every aspect (and thus very attractive). Now it is just like a lot of places in central Europe and also the Balkans.

Decades ago, I traveled it as a backpacker; today I am an self-directed regular TOURIST. I like to spend my time in renovated charming old farmhouses (such as Vamos Village), and enjoy making at small breakfast or snack in my little galley kitchen. I have never stayed in one of the resort-style hotels on the north coast, which I find appalling.

I had skipped a few years coming to Greece after having moved so much and ending in the US but came back a few years ago. The Euro made EVERYTHING more expensive in the whole of Europe but I did not expect German/French/Italian prices in Crete. I did not expect so many NEW and big cars on the roads, so many big mansions even in the countryside. I also did not expect to see Lidl/Carrefour/Starbucks, but then - they are everywhere in Europe as well. The prices in those supermarkets are pretty steep - coffee, jam, milk, TP....

I understand the gas prices - Crete is an island after all. Renting s small, fuel-efficient car at a good price makes up for that.

Bread, wine, cigarettes and local produce still are WAY cheaper than the rest of Europe.

So yes, I am surprised how high prices are. It seems like Greece wants to catch up with the rest of Europe but - in actuality - hasn't. And it shouldn't. I liked the charm just as it was.

With the Greek economy as it is, I feel for the people who work and live there and have to pay these prices. But that is a whole other problem.

Return to “General Discussion & News”