Buy furniture etc or ship it over ...?

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Eric & Shirley

Buy furniture etc or ship it over ...?

Postby Eric & Shirley » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:18 pm

Moving over in September and not sure whether to bring furniture or buy when we get there. Can anyone recommend somewhere to buy furniture etc in the Chania area - second hand or new? Thanks

Musthapha Raki

Furniture

Postby Musthapha Raki » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:50 am

Hi
I think it would be cheaper to buy in Crete unless you get a good price on shipping.Try simple-city.gr just near the hospital.The online website is not too bad.The staff in there are very nice and speak good English if you have no Greek. 8)
Enjoy the life you have or change it

peebee

Postby peebee » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:17 am

There are 2 shops in Kalyves worth a visit, if you are after traditional Cretan wooden furniture there is http://www.nikiforakis.gr/.
CFS do a more modern range, plus soft furnishings and crockery etc: http://www.cfscrete.com

mouche

Postby mouche » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:04 pm

deleted
Last edited by mouche on Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:22 pm

Some months ago we bought a couple of items from CFS. They were in stock and we had the next day. A month or so ago we bought another item which needed to be ordered. It arrived 7-8 days later.

I suspect, in some cases, that delivery delays are caused by suppliers rather than DFS, not that that makes a delay any less irritating.

P.S. My only connection with the firm is as a (very occasional) customer.

evansmr1

TO BUY FURNITURE OR TO SHIP

Postby evansmr1 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:08 pm

We shipped ours together with linen and some clothes. Also sent our crockery, some good stuff and day to day crockery, linen etc. Basically we shipped everything, including a new American style Fridge Freezer.

The price was not too bad. Arrived 3 days after us, perfect timing.

We did compare prices and did save by shipping. 3 bedrooms, lounge, dinning room and kitchen.

We have bought a few second hand furniture pieces but were not to impressed with the quality.
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magnaike

Kathleen

Postby Kathleen » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:15 pm

In 2006 with regard to Living/Dining room furniture I had specific styles in mind. I was unable to buy the same items in Crete so purchased them in UK and had them shipped over by White Van Man. I also included outdoor furniture, china, cooking utensils, linens soft furnishings and bedding which I find expensive in Crete. It cost, but was well worth it in the long run, I got exactly what I wanted.

My traditional style bedroom furniture was purchased from Nikoforakis before the Kalives showroon was opened. I was very happy with the items I bought for both rooms and at the time the prices were very reasonable.

I have heard good and bad opinions of the other company mentioned in Kalives, but from a personal point of view having looked in, despite having some nice items, I thought they were very pricey!

Kathleen

Eric & Shirley

Postby Eric & Shirley » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:49 pm

Thanks for all the above, looks like we'll probably do a bit of both :D

Al

Postby Al » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:38 pm

We brought a lot of stuff from home. In hindsight we'd have brought less - though we had a good deal from our shipping company. We would now recommend NOMAD without hesitation.

In the six years we have lived here we have bought furniture from various Greek outlets. A lot of it is made to measure - cos that's the way it is. Delivery has rarely been later than two days locally, three from Athens or Thessaloniki. A bit more if ordering from Italy, as we have done.

At home John Lewis rarely offered as little as 6 weeks, often more. Other stores were worse generally. CFS have good stuff but may be ordering from the UK, which naturally takes longer.

Good luck anyway!!

mouche

Postby mouche » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:25 am

deleted
Last edited by mouche on Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

shine on

Postby shine on » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:38 pm

Imo shipping is best, cheaper than you think and more product choice from the UK. Household goods and furniture is quite cheap in the UK when you shop around.

mouche

Re:

Postby mouche » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:04 pm

deleted
Last edited by mouche on Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eleni13

Re: Buy furniture etc or ship it over ...?

Postby Eleni13 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:34 pm

It is worth noting that CFS is no longer in Kalives. It has moved to Souda. Yes, they are pricey, but the service is good. We bought the entire contents of the house in Crete, and are still very happy with the style and quality of the furniture and the kitchen equipment. Small electrical equipment seems to have a short life though.

margarita

Postby margarita » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:22 pm

Eleni13 wrote:It is worth noting that CFS is no longer in Kalives. It has moved to Souda.

CFS has not completely moved out of Kalyves. They have moved to an order collection office on the Armenoi Road, Kalyves (next to the bike shop). They also stock some housewares, linens etc. there. They may also have a shop in Souda, I don't know.

mouche

Postby mouche » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:08 pm

I don't think they have a shop in Souda only a warehouse.

Return to “General Discussion & News”