IKA souda road

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
kaytee

IKA souda road

Postby kaytee » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:29 pm

I have been down to the IKA building twice this week, to renew the books. Each time, there have been crowds of people in front of the doors. The doors are seals with sellotape and large notices - in Greek - with black cloths draped all around. On enquiring, was told due to layoffs of staff all over Greece. They have taken over the building. Does anyone knows what is going on. Or how long it will last? There is nothing on the potential disruption post.

Kilkis

Re: IKA souda road

Postby Kilkis » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:13 pm

kaytee wrote:...There is nothing on the potential disruption post.

It's impossible to keep track of every local protest. It's also impossible to predict anything about them, e.g. when they will start, when they will end etc. They are not nationwide events organised by a union with defined boundaries. I think that all you can realistically expect is more of the same.

Warwick

ladylinda

Postby ladylinda » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:35 pm

I gathered hey are picketing. I too need to get books renewed, so if any one knows that it has ended, can they post the information, or maybe our guru Carolina will spot something on the news and let us know.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:13 am

This 'guru' had swanned off to the UK but managed to read some news to keep the calendar fairly up to date.

Haniotika Nea today reports that staff 'occupied' and closed the IKA office in Hania yesterday because of the 'sudden lay off' of 10 employees in Hania and Rethymnon. So it appears it was spontaneous. There is no mention of whether or not they will continue their action today, so if anyone visits the building please report back.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:14 pm

24hr nationwide IKA strike reported this morning for today
http://www.skai.gr/news/greece/article/ ... n-tou-ika/

ladylinda

Postby ladylinda » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:58 pm

My friend reports that it was still closed today.

ladylinda

Postby ladylinda » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:59 pm

My friend reports that it was still closed today. Hope its open next week running out of time to renew my book.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:07 am

It's open today and apparently they ran out of numbers pretty early on as it was very busy.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:33 pm

P.S. Wednesday is a General strike so they will be closed again that day.

ladylinda

update

Postby ladylinda » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:39 am

Well off to Ika we went yesterday, arrived at 7.15, got in to get a golden ticket at 7.45 , (no 88.) about another 100 people behind me.

Our number came up at 11.45. Only 2 desks open and vastly overworked , lots of frustrated greeks and 1 angry employee, the other lady on the right( the one that speaks some english) was sweetly patient throughout the mayhem . I had 3 books to do. Then the announcement came that they would not be able to do any numbers over 100, I felt terribly sorry for another kindred soul and took her books too, as her number well over 100.

The thing is , and I am not sure if people realise , but you can go in December as well as January to renew when its quieter and also after February if you are not in need of your book for repeat prescriptions.
I did in fact go in January and got my husbands' book , but needed a tax form for mine which was delayed and then there was the strike.

I also did not realise that Ika is closed on fridays for paperwork.

So its definetly avoidance tactics next year.

I felt very sorry for the wokers yesterday and made sure I was extra polite and sympathetic, as after all it is not their fault, but the government and system that needs to be changed .

I recommend any one going tomorrow to get there at 7 .
get your ticket and then go shopping according to your number, if you can get parked up again.

kvsteele

Postby kvsteele » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:46 am

I tried to renew my IKA book earlier this month and was told it could not be renewed until the last day of the month in which it expires. Not too useful as it expires on a Friday and if I don't manage to get to the front of the lineup before closing I could end up without coverage and of course "Sod's Law says that is when I will have an accident!
Moved onto Crete finally...It's been a long wait

kvsteele

Postby kvsteele » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:48 am

PS Now I have been told that IKA do not do paperwork on Fridays! you just can't win for losing!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:46 am

kvsteele wrote:I tried to renew my IKA book earlier this month and was told it could not be renewed until the last day of the month in which it expires...

I don't know who told you this but two friends and I all renewed our books in December between Christmas and New year. Had to wait nearly 10 minutes. Dreadful! As far as I am aware all books expire on 28 February so, if it were true, every IKA member in Chania would be trying to renew their books on that day.

Unless things have changed since December, it is only the left hand section that doesn't operate on a Friday. Even if you don't speak Greek, if you look at the notice near the ticket machine that says it is only open between Monday and Thursday and the sign over the left hand section you should be able to recognise that the names on both are the same. We renewed our books on a Friday and the right hand section, where the books are renewed, was working normally, albeit with only two windows open. One of my friends was also trying to get a refund for glasses but couldn't do that because she needed the section that was closed.

Warwick

peebee

Postby peebee » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:12 am

I usually take a ticket, then hang around for a few minutes and take another.
If when I come back from shopping, my first one has passed, I still have another shot.
Don't know if you are able to jump in if your number has expired, could try it for laughs.
You can then make someones day if you still have the second ticket, by passing it on to them :)

kvsteele

Postby kvsteele » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:39 am

I was told that my book could not be renewed until the end of the month by the woman working in the IKA office in Agios Nikolaos after lining up for 45 minutes. How could I argue with her with my limited Greek?

Return to “General Discussion & News”