IKA souda road

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
bobscott

Postby bobscott » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:56 am

kvsteele wrote:I was told that my book could not be renewed until the end of the month by the woman working in the IKA office in Agios Nikolaos after lining up for 45 minutes. How could I argue with her with my limited Greek?

As with most things official here - it's who you talk to. No-one seems to know the rules and although there is a temptation to think they are just being awkward or rude, it's generally just a case of ignorance of the procedures on their par.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Rej

Postby Rej » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:32 pm

We braved the strange sandy weather this morning to arrive at IKA in Souda at 7.00 AM and join a pleasingly short queue. By 7.30 lots more people had arrived but we were all completely undone by an announcement informing us that the place was closed today. So, not an unqualified success. Better luck next week.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:58 am

Rej wrote:We braved the strange sandy weather this morning to arrive at IKA in Souda at 7.00 AM and join a pleasingly short queue. By 7.30 lots more people had arrived but we were all completely undone by an announcement informing us that the place was closed today. So, not an unqualified success. Better luck next week.

Give me the KEP route any time!
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

johnincrete

Postby johnincrete » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:14 am

I got to IKA at 7.00am and there was a long queue. Waited 45min until my back gave out. Remembered Bob's comment, went home got passport and residents permit & went to KEP in the Court Square. Two minutes later I left with the promise that they will phone me in 10 days or so. Brilliant.
Thanks Bob.

Incidentally, why do Greeks always crush up close to the ones in front when in a queue? And why do they take every opportunity to sneak in front of you? Having watched the 6-nations rugby over the past weeks, I think I will need to stop being English and learn the tricks of the scrum.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:01 am

Citizens of Mediterranean countries generally don't really understand the concept of queuing. You will witness the same behaviour in virtually all situations. There is also a very strong threshold effect.

You can witness it on a dual carriageway where you pull into a left hand slip lane to turn left at some traffic lights. The second car will pull up behind the first. The third car will probably pull up behind the second. The fourth car is much more likely to pass the queue of three cars and pull across the front of them ahead of the lights. If the fourth car doesn't do this the fifth is virtually guaranteed to.

This effect is not as obvious at IKA, Souda, but if you watch closely you can see it. While the queue is short, people will typically join the back. As the queue gets longer, newcomers get increasingly likely to hover off to the side near the front of the queue with the intent of working their way into the queue when the doors open. Walking very close to the person in front helps to block this one which is why you observe the behaviour. Being 6' 3" and 120 kg also helps.

Another handy trick is to walk up to a "friend" who is already in the queue and start chatting to them. It looks like you might have been there before, gone away for a short time and then returned to your place. The only people who really know if you have or haven't are the ones in front of you but they don't care so you are not likely to be challenged.

Once inside with your number awaiting your turn you will often see a late comer arrive and take a ticket. He/she will then look at the ticket, look at the current number being served and then look around the room a little bewildered. He/she will then sidle up to the nearest window and hover next to the person being served. As soon as that person is finished they will start by asking a question and then start pushing documentation over the counter. Obviously the staff member needs to see the documentation to answer the question but having got it in his/her hand it is as easy to deal with it as answer the question. Some staff members are very strict and demand to see your ticket. Others aren't so there is a fair chance of jumping the queue.

Finally there is the trump card. If you are an old lady in black with a stick you simply push to the front and stand there waiting to be served. You can't beat this one so just give in gracefully.

Warwick

peebee

Postby peebee » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:48 pm

Spin off from another thread on this site.

Got to IKA office Souda this morning at 7.35, doors opened 7.45, got to ticket machine by 8.00 and none left.

Update

As it was such a nice day, thought I'd pop back to the IKA office on my motorcycle and got there about 11.50, there were still no tickets in the machine, number serving was 144.
Wandered over and stood next to someone being dealt with at the far right hand desk (the younger lady who speaks good English).
When she became free, I held up my 2011/2012 tax return printout and said:
"I was in here earlier this morning" - true.
"I was told that I needed my last year's tax form to get my book renewed" - true, although I didn't actually say that it was last year I was told that.
"And now I am back there are no numbers left" - true.

She held out her hand for the books, out by 12.01 :lol:

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:32 pm

Nice one. Nice lady, too.

peebee

Postby peebee » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:32 pm

Thought I'd try the Greek approach, if I got any verbal I could just shrug my shoulders and say " sorry I don't understand what you are saying" not one of the 40 or so people waiting said a word, although another Greek guy came and stood next to me - probably trying something similar.
Always try and be polite and look for guidance, the nice ones generally help you.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:23 pm

EOPYY / IKA have given an extension for renewing health books - now until March 31st 2013.

www.capital.gr/News.asp?id=1741823

Rej

Postby Rej » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:06 pm

Caroline, as a matter of interest, what would be the consequences of missing the deadline by a couple of weeks?

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:17 pm

I'm not 100% certain, so don't take this as definite advice, but I believe you can validate your book more or less anytime.

The IKA health book is validated until 28 February each year, the extension means that those who wish to see an IKA doctor and have not got around to re-validating their book still have valid health cover during the extension period. If you don't need the cover during that period e.g. if you are away, then renewing the book in April shouldn't be a problem.

Rej

Postby Rej » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:35 pm

Thanks Caroline. That's reassuring.

Dinksy

Postby Dinksy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:53 pm

Hi,

We are finally able to get our books updated and can not remember what they now require from us. Go armed with most items but feel a bit reluctant to take the kitchen sink out. Confirmation of requirements would be helpful.

Many thanks.
Never mind the quality, feel the width.

Clio

Postby Clio » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:45 pm

When I renewed ours last month, I had to hand over only the vivliario. It's all got a lot easier, but vestiges of the old Byzantine practices remain. I was also asked to fill in one of those application forms which require mother's maiden name etc plus a hand-written declaration, in Greek that one is not receiving health care from any other source. Despite all that information already being on the computer, and my fakelaki containing last year's form with the identical info being in front of the clerk. When I pointed that out to her she grinned and told me just to put a signature on the new blank form, which went into the fakelaki with all the other such forms...

Mind you this happened in Rethymno, which I know is foreign parts for most of you.

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:27 pm

We renewed our IKA vivliaria late in February throught the KEP office in Souda. The only documents they asked for were Passports (and the books, of course).

Return to “General Discussion & News”