Swimming Pool Tiling

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
zorba the blue

Swimming Pool Tiling

Postby zorba the blue » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:38 pm

Hi everyone,
Does anyone know of a good tiler who could tile a swimming pool ( approx 19 square metres). Also if anyone has had it done could you give an indication of approximate cost? It is getting to be a pain having to repaint it so often when it flakes and looks a mess! We are in the area west of Chania near Gerani/Melame.
Thanks
Zorba The Blue

moggieman

Pool Tiling

Postby moggieman » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:38 pm

Choose your tiles with care. A lot of Mosaic tiles are chinese. Unless really put on well you will every year have a number fall of.

Your pool has been painted, no matter what enyone tells you DO NOT tile on top, all the paint has to come of.

Have sent you a p.m

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:54 pm

You could also consider a liner instead of tiles. Possibly cheaper than tiles? It would need renewing periodically but not as often as painting. It doesn't look quite as good as tiles but a lot better than painting. The pool shop in Kalyves installs modular pools that use a liner so I would guess that they could install a liner on an existing pool. I don't know for sure, since I prefer to use the big salty one, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. I think Andreas is the person to ask for. My neighbour has a modular pool built by Andreas with a liner and it's still going strong after about five years.

Warwick

ipmcrete

Postby ipmcrete » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:06 am

We have professional pool tilers ourself, but sadly you are out of our area. As has been said before, all the paint needs to be ground off and the surface taken back to a good, stable plaster finish before the sealing and then the tiling takes place. Not a cheap job, but you only need to do it once. We tend to fight shy of the liners, as they obviously will not last as long as ceramic tiles.

www.ipmcrete.com

phillynn

pool tiling

Postby phillynn » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:10 am

Have sent you a PM

zorba the blue

Postby zorba the blue » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:10 pm

Thanks to you all.
Appreciate the advice.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:10 pm

Sometime ago in a previous life I built swimming pools, and I agree with the other post on here , If you are gonna tile it has to be done on a sound substrate , back to the concrete with two coats of waterproof render .
IMHO I don't think butyl liner is a thing that you can retro fit as it must be tailored to fit the pool, a plastic coping is fitted to the steel or fibre glass wall panels of the pool then the reinforced concrete is poured around the pool and the back filling done, then the liner is installed into the plastic coping , then comes the final fit for plumbing , lights etc while the pool is filled , and finally the pool surround is laid.... jeff...

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:40 pm

You may be right, Jeff. I'm not sure if it is possible but it wouldn't hurt to ask so there is something to compare. When they installed the pool next to me I think the liner came in rolls which were cut and welded in situ.

Nick Perkins, www.right-hand-man.com is located in your area. I am told he has a good tiler working for him, although I have no personal experience. Worth asking for a quote.

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:23 pm

I like the sound of that Warwick , making up a bespoke liner on site clever stuff,I have to say it must be 25 years or more since I had anything to do with swimming pools ,and when I did the liner and the rest of the pool was made in the USA . to drawings and plans drawn by us and the client... jeff... as a side issue it must be at least 25 years since I swam in a swimming pool
I don't like 'em, that great big blue thing down the hill is so good ....

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:15 pm

I have a friend in northern Crete, Jeff, who installs modular pools that are made in America. I think his uncle owns the company there. I am not sure but I think that they use a preformed liner.

Warwick

jeansy

Postby jeansy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:30 pm

Hi , you could be in for major dramas , Getting the paint off for a starter , the paint used on pools is resistant to most kinds of stripper actually to all kinds of stripper !!

First thing to do is test every square inch of the existing plaster with the paint on , anything that sounds hollow !!!!! is a drama water will penetrate paint and have an effect on the plaster below .

Ifffff all is solid my advice sand blast the paint off , then you will need to prime the existing plaster if it is good ?? then think about tiling . I have photo's of when things were not done right the first time . Do not trust what is below the paint !!!.

My advice think seriously before you start and pm me if you want some pics of how it can go wrong ..

Good luck.

jeansy

Postby jeansy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:33 pm

Quickie ,
Have seen posts about liners ,, NO way they will not last , look at Titanic one slip your ass is grass .

Trust me .

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:43 pm

jeansy wrote:Quickie ,
Have seen posts about liners ,, NO way they will not last , look at Titanic one slip your ass is grass .

Trust me .

If done properly they will last for about ten years, possibly more. If you compare the cost of replacing a liner every ten years and painting every year they are not that different. At least a lined pool doesn't turn your feet blue. Also there are lots of people with tiled pools who have problems with tiles lifting every year and a lined pool is easier to clean. No scrubbing the algae off the grout.

Personally I think a well tiled pool looks a lot better than a lined pool which, in turn, looks much better than a painted pool. When you take cost into account then it is not so clear.

Warwick

PS Not many icebergs in Crete?

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:54 pm

a few things to note .... with a concrete, cement rendered and then painted pool, the paint is the most waterproof element, however with a concrete, cement rendered and then tiled pool the two coat cement render is the most waterproof element ... so if you are gonna tile a pool that was once painted unless you know exactly what it was rendered with it has all got to come off..... it must be a mix that is waterproof and without lime.... jeff...

Return to “General Discussion & News”