cost of living 2013

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
ScotinCrete

Postby ScotinCrete » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:53 am

Retired in Crete wrote:ScotinCrete,

Perhaps you would like to add the costs of running and maintaining a motorbike and your annual budget for computer games?

John

Both my scooter and just about all of my games now are gifts for birthday or Xmas and therefore don't count as real money :D
Anyway, I have just stopped smoking so I'm well ahead of the game money wise now :wink:

Brian c

Postby Brian c » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:20 am

Thanks folks ..I will adjust the phone figures to show 400 euro instead of 600 as it would appear there are improved deals out there. I am surprised noone has said I am light on any figures, the way prices have been climbing
Last edited by Brian c on Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dont sweat the small things

Brian c

Postby Brian c » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:57 pm

This thread usually has a good response, but not so much this year ? (thanks to those that have contributed). I can only assume that the figures are now pretty accurate .... never mind I will be over in a few days to see for myself ..and for the first time ever I am looking forward to spending some time on the north west coast.

and with any luck may even bump into one or two of you :)

Brian

peebee

Postby peebee » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:08 am

As it has been 3 years to the beginning of June that I have been keeping records, I thought I would post a short update on our living costs.
Year 1 was €24,556
Year 2 was €24,933 (+1.5% on year 1)
Year 3 was €25,262 (+1.3% on year 2)
Total living costs for the 3 years = €74,751.
I admit that I haven't been as meticulous over the last few months, so the figure for year 3 could be a few hundred higher.

Edit :- All these figures include an annual rent of €7200

Brian c

cost of living 2013

Postby Brian c » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:13 pm

Thanks for that Peebee
Which pretty much confirms our figures in the original post are fairly accurate, a little more or less depending on your lifestyle.

Thanks again
Brian

evansmr1

COST OF LIVING

Postby evansmr1 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:45 am

Sorry gents, no idea of how you arrive at such high figures. perhaps you both rent a very expensive Villa.

My Wife and I own our house, 3 bedrooms all with en-suite, a dinning room, large kitchen, lounge and a roof lounge. We eat out once or twice a week, during the Summer sometimes 3 times a week. Our meal is always accompanied by wine and or raki. We take coffee out again at least 3 times a week and on occasions visit the odd bar for a couple of beers.

We run a car. We do not have a pool, beach is only 15 - 20 minutes walk away.

We live well, and have a great life. I keep spending records. to date our spend has been no were near to that which you both recorded. Last year our total spend was e13,000. This year I expect it to be higher due to some house replacements and a total repaint.

I know of folk (expats) who live on a lot less than our e13,000. But these folk do not eat out as regularly as we do,

Yesterday we had a great day out, visited a number of small Tavernas in the Mountain. had so much free mezi that we did not want any Dinner. What a great life.

So, others planning to retire to this wonderful place do not be put off by these last two posts, unless you rent an expensive villa. If you rent add between 250-300e per month. Currently renters do not pay property Tax. Including rental your annual expense should be no more than e18,000 unless you want to live like a Lord and eat at the most expensive restaurants and eat only English food from the expensive English shops.
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magnaike

bobscott

Re: COST OF LIVING

Postby bobscott » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:11 am

evansmr1 wrote:So, others planning to retire to this wonderful place do not be put off by these last two posts, unless you rent an expensive villa. If you rent add between 250-300e per month.

You will be lucky to find anything here at that price! Try 400-500 pcm.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:38 am

With you on that evansmr1, ...jeff..

Topdriller

Postby Topdriller » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:04 am

evansmr1

As a guide for the rest of us and because you have recorded all your costs, why don't you use Brian C's headings and write down your annual costs along side. This would then help others figure out where they might be overspending.

Jon
We need men who dream of things that never were.

Kilkis

Re: COST OF LIVING

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:10 am

evansmr1 wrote:Sorry gents, no idea of how you arrive at such high figures. perhaps you both rent a very expensive Villa...

If you look at peebee's post, Mike you will see that he rents a villa that costs €7,200 per year. Perhaps he could pay half that rent BUT he doesn't. He makes a choice as do we all. If you take your €13,000 and add his rent you are up to €20,000, i.e. not far short of the €25,000 he quotes. It wouldn't take much to make up €5,000.

Use heating oil rather than wood and you get an extra €1,000 based on my experience.

Go back to the UK for a couple of weeks and a couple would probably spend €2,000 more than you would have spent in Greece during that time.

I can probably change my weekly food bill by a factor 2 simply depending on what I choose to buy or where I choose to eat out and what I choose to eat while I am there.

There are Greek pensioners living on less than €4,000 per year. I know some of them and no, they don't have any savings to supplement it. I wouldn't be surprised if Samaras spends more than that per week. You can't make decisions based on what somebody else does. You can only extract information that might or might not be useful from the data they provide.

Personally I am not terribly interested in the detail of what I spend. I have lived my whole life on the basis of the Micawber Principle and keep sufficient records to judge whether I am meeting it. So far I have managed to stay on the £19 19s 6d side.

Warwick

Jean

Postby Jean » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:33 am

You will be lucky to find anything here at that price! Try 400-500 pcm.

Maybe you are right if you talk specifically about Kokkino Chorio (I can't comment because I don't know the market in that village) but elsewhere rents have dropped a fair bit in the last couple of years and it is now possible to find nice places to rent for around 300 or 350 Euro a month.

peebee

Postby peebee » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:19 am

Evansmr1
Included in my annual figures are:-
Approx €1000 for insurance / servicing / fuel for my BMW motorcycle, which I suspect does not figure in your budget.
Around €1700 p/a for pet food and vet's fees.
€1000 for heating oil, as per Warwick's post.
The `Expensive Villa' we occupy is set in around 7000 sq/m of olive groves, up on the cliff top overlooking Souda Bay and Kera beach, with fantastic views of the White Mountains behind. At €600 per month, we think it is an absolute bargain (as do most of our extremely envious visitors)

Topdriller

Postby Topdriller » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:35 pm

Mike also has to factor in the cost to build and furnish his house, the cost to buy the car etc. and then amortise this figure over the years he lives here.

For example, if his house cost €150,000 and he lives here ten years then that adds €15,000 per year + lost interest to his annual costs. Of course, if he sells the house after ten years and breaks even or makes a profit the this cost is moot. Then again, if he dies here then it's a real cost since he would not have had the use of the monies during that ten year period.

Someone else by comparison could keep €150,000 in a bank account and pay €7200 rental each year. The money on deposit would earn in the region of €4000 gross interest per year which would help offset the yearly rent.

Sounds pedantic, I know, but we should make a distinction between normal month to month living costs versus the costs to move here and set up home, purchase house, car, motorbike, boat, furniture etc.

I'd also suggest an average cost to eat in a village taverna is now around €20 for two if including a jug of wine etc. Go out twice a week and that's €173+ per month or €2080 per annum. Mike's dining out bill could therefore account for almost 16% of his annual expenditure. (Of course, and if he hibernates during the winter months, this could be lower i.e. he eats in rather than eats out)

There are so many other factors too. For example, a garden requires water, plants and tools to maintain. Live outside a village boundary and that usually means a 4000m2 plot. That's an acre and takes work + money to look after.

Entertaining guests is expensive. They tend to use the air con more, want to see the sights, eat out more and so summer costs can rise exponentially.

Maintaining a house can be expensive. All outside wood needs varnishing every spring and tins of varnish here are not cheap. Cracks have to be repaired, walls painted, bulbs replaced and these costs mount up. You also need to buy the tools to do these jobs or hire in workmen.

Mike hasn't a pool but many folk do and that too is a monthly cost. Drive only 5,000 km per year and average 15km per litre and your fuel bill alone will be around €600 per year. Have third party insurance and road tax on a 1600 cc car and that cost will double.

So, the two things Mike specifically mentioned i.e. dining out and his car could account for as much as 25% of his €13000 annual expenditure. What's more, the cost to purchase the car also has to be factored in over the time he owns it.

And yes, it does perhaps sound a little anal but it's also important for those thinking of moving here.

Jon
We need men who dream of things that never were.

bettyboo

cost of living 2013

Postby bettyboo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:00 pm

If by eating out 2 or 3 times a week you mean eating at places where you get free mezi then your eating out expenses are going to be on the small side . :lol:

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:14 pm

Just got my latest bill for domestic water. It looks like my water company is now issuing quarterly bills instead of the previous half yearly bills and once every Preston Guild prior to that. The cost? The princely sum of €8. Makes UK water charges look a bit heavy?

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”