Mobile phone shops (Chania/Kalives)

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
FlatEric

Mobile phone shops (Chania/Kalives)

Postby FlatEric » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:15 am

Hi All. Hope you are well. As mentioned in my previous posts I will be coming over to Crete in August to look for a rental. To keep in touch with property agents I guess I'll need a mobile phone. I seem to recall some advice from somewhere that it's best to get a SIM card in Crete as the costs for using a UK based mobile can be excessive.
Is there a mobile shop in Chania or Kalives I can go to to get set up with a pay as you go arrangement. I have a phone that I never use (Credit ran out about six months ago!!).
I'm sure this topic must be in the Forum somewhere but my searches seem to bring up all sorts (yes, I am IT inept). If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great.

Cheers

Stuart.

jet

Re: Mobile phone shops (Chania/Kalives)

Postby jet » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:30 pm

FlatEric wrote:Hi All. Hope you are well. As mentioned in my previous posts I will be coming over to Crete in August to look for a rental. To keep in touch with property agents I guess I'll need a mobile phone. I seem to recall some advice from somewhere that it's best to get a SIM card in Crete as the costs for using a UK based mobile can be excessive.
Is there a mobile shop in Chania or Kalives I can go to to get set up with a pay as you go arrangement. I have a phone that I never use (Credit ran out about six months ago!!).
I'm sure this topic must be in the Forum somewhere but my searches seem to bring up all sorts (yes, I am IT inept). If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great.

Cheers

Stuart.

There is a mobile store in every shopping street. It is a temperaments question whom to choose.
Choose one that speaks good English :-)

FlatEric

Postby FlatEric » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:12 pm

Thanks for your reply. Another box ticked off.

Regards

Stuart

scooby

Postby scooby » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:16 pm

Don't forget to take your passport and tax certificate (accountant can help you with this if unsure) as the sim needs to be registered.
Men in suits will always make you pay.

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:51 pm

The Vodaphone rep in Kalives used to be on the right side of the road to Armenoi, in a toy/ knicknack shop. The Germanos shop on the same road further out on the left does Cosmote. A UK phone is, of course, expensive. For international calls, get Skype, and either Skype direct or buy a Skype credit then you can call internationally to any phine at local rates (at least you can with wifi access)

johnincrete

Postby johnincrete » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:42 pm

In addition to Jet's advice, go to one that does not have a queue. There is a Vodaphone shop outside of Chania town centre near to the public gardens (look for the clock). There is another also out of town run by my friend Georgos that deals with OTE & usefully, he mends phones! I'll be glad to meet you when you get here and show you where they are.

FlatEric

Postby FlatEric » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:28 pm

Hi All. Just when it was looking simple!!
If I understand Scooby's post correctly this means I must register for a tax number before I can get a SIM card, and I need an accountant to help me get the tax number. I think I also need a tax number to rent a property so I am intending to try George Atsalakis (Tax Oasis) to see if he can take me on. Sounds like I should make contact ASAP.

I think I'll be busy during my 'holiday' in August.

johnincrete. Thanks for your offer of help. Does your friend also cover land lines and internet? I'll send you a PM if that's OK once plans firm up.

Regards

Stuart

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:16 pm

You could also try VIRUS (odd name, I know) computer store in Kalyves. Out of the town towards the National Road, on the left. Very helpful people there.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

mouche

Postby mouche » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:24 pm

FlatEric wrote: If I understand Scooby's post correctly this means I must register for a tax number before I can get a SIM card, and I need an accountant to help me get the tax number.

I have a greek taxnumber but was never asked to produce this when I bought a phone and got a SIM card at the airport in Athens last year.

Graeme

Postby Graeme » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:03 am

Make sre your phone is unlocked and able to take any sim, its not so simple to take it to a street trader and get unlocked. when i recently upgraded to the iphone 5 my iphone 4s was given to a friend, we then had to request vodafone to unlock it who in turn send a request to apple, who will notify you my email thats its now unlockeed, the final process is to then conect to yourr itunes account and do a system restore, failure to follow this process wil mean you wont be able to get any apple software updates.

Of course you may have another type of phone :wink:

scooby

Postby scooby » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:23 am

mouche wrote:
FlatEric wrote: If I understand Scooby's post correctly this means I must register for a tax number before I can get a SIM card, and I need an accountant to help me get the tax number.

I have a greek taxnumber but was never asked to produce this when I bought a phone and got a SIM card at the airport in Athens last year.
It was a while ago when I got my PAYG sim card so it may just be passport. I know you need tax number for internet. Best to ask in the shop what you need.
Men in suits will always make you pay.

Saravista

Postby Saravista » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:30 pm

There are two shops in Kalives where you can buy sim cards, mobile phones, pay bills, etc.

ScotinCrete

Postby ScotinCrete » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:11 am

I think you need your AFM - tax number - only if you want to take out a contract but for PAYG you just need your passport.
Though for our first year here we seemed to need our passports for just about everything! Including our residence certificate which has been in the safe since getting it :lol:

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:43 am

ScotinCrete wrote:... our residence certificate which has been in the safe since getting it
Technically, foreigners are required to carry their Passports at all time. Having said that, I carry a copy of the photo page and a copy of the RP (which has passed as an original).

Back in '96 I forgot to bring my Driving Licence so had a problem renting a car. I managed to get a friend to fax a copy to the rental company, which they accepted. When I asked for the copy in case I was stopped I was advised not to take it. "The police will be more suspicious if shown a copy than if you have nothing. If you're stopped tell them to 'phone us."

Jean

Postby Jean » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:18 pm

Technically, foreigners are required to carry their Passports at all time.

An ID card is also OK. Technically Greeks are also required by law to carry an ID at all times so the law does not apply to foreigners only. The same also applies in countries such as France, Germany, the Netherlands and many others.

Return to “General Discussion & News”