Mobile phone shops (Chania/Kalives)

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
ScotinCrete

Postby ScotinCrete » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:02 am

Photo copies seem fine as you say. Got stopped leaving Kalyves by the police doing a check during the winter. Thought "oh oh" as I only had an old photocopy in the car. Gave it to him, came back in 2 or 3 minutes, asked what my fathers name was and got a καλα νυχτα and off we went.

Simon the Kiwi

Re: Mobile phone shops (Chania/Kalives)

Postby Simon the Kiwi » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:04 pm

We've had a very bad experience with the new phone shop in Kalives... It's on the main street between the river and the church square...
(sorry, slightly off topic but it's an important warning for all!)

My wife bought a reconditioned Apple iPhone 5 from Jakob/Iakovos Bitzanakis who runs/owns? the shop there. It was under warranty but quickly developed a fault with the screen and then the battery... We gave it back to him and some months later (he said it would be a few days for him to get it sorted... but he always had excuses... the shop was constantly closed when we went there, the tech guys couldn't access icloud, it was in Chania... etc) we finally got the phone back, but with the additional cost of €45 for the new battery which was not under warranty...

When we checked the phone it had junk accessories, not the genuine apple charger and cables, (and no headphones) and the accessories didn't even work (checking them separately on different devices, plugs, phones etc). As a final insult, the phone wouldn't take a charge and is just totally dead!

Jakob cried that it wasn't his fault, that it was his supplier letting him down etc... But we think he is just trying to rip off tourists and expats!

He has constantly let us down, changed his mind and his prices, he said he would give us the money back when the phone initially went wrong but when it was finally 'fixed' said a friend wanted to buy it instead (for only €130 less the cost of the battery of course!)

He's totally unreliable and untrustworthy... Always an excuse with this guy... We gave him the benefit of the doubt for so many months but finally, when it mattered most he let us down... We're so upset with him that we want to warn others about him so they don't make the same mistake as us!

It's much better to go into Rethymno or Chania and buy from the big stores such as Public or Germanos, rather than making the mistake of supporting Cowboys like this guy!

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:01 pm

Several of my acquaintances on Crete have changed back to UK-based SIMs because, they say, Vofafone.gr is simply too expensive.

However, phoning a UK number with a Greek SIM card is also expensive.

I have a Greek Vodafone SIM and a UK Virgin PAYG SIM card in my (basic) phone. I use the latter when phoning a UK number. (I got it originally just so that my UK credit card company could contact me about "suspicious" transactions, since their web site won't accept a Greek mobile number. Since I acquired the UK SIM, they haven't phoned me once!)

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:14 pm

Simon the Kiwi wrote:We've had a very bad experience with the new phone shop in Kalives... .....

On the other hand, I've had good service from the same shop and have no complaint whatever.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:14 pm

SatCure wrote:...I have a Greek Vodafone SIM and a UK Virgin PAYG SIM card in my (basic) phone. I use the latter when phoning a UK number. (I got it originally just so that my UK credit card company could contact me about "suspicious" transactions, since their web site won't accept a Greek mobile number. Since I acquired the UK SIM, they haven't phoned me once!)

I do exactly the same. Many UK banks now want extra authorisation for certain transactions, e.g. setting up a new payee. Often this is done either by them sending you a text with a Use Once Code that you type into your online bank page or them phoning you and you having to key a code from the screen into the phone. Either way a UK SIM can be useful. One of my UK bank accounts is registered to my Greek address and they phone my Greek landline number. One is registered to a UK address and they send a text to my UK SIM.

People using a UK SIM continuously while abroad may find they get their service stopped. Roaming at UK rates is intended for intermittent use, e.g. while on holiday or business. If every call they make is from Crete it may ring alarm bells. I would guess it would depend on their level of usage.

Warwick

Danny

Postby Danny » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:28 am

I too have a few doubts about the man that runs the shop in Kalives who quoted me for a repair to my cell phone, he was the first place i'd been to and thought his quote was very expensive which was proved to be correct when I received a quote nearly 50% cheaper from the repair shop adjacent to the bus station in Chania who managed to repair my cell within two days

Houmeri91

Postby Houmeri91 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:35 pm

Don't forget though no mad rush to do on day one as under EU regulations you can use free minutes , data etc on your UK SIM initially at no extra cost . So it is not expensive to travel within the EU pre brexit with a mobile . The caveat to that is reasonable use provision in contracts but won't cost you a bean extra initially.

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:51 pm

I have a Greek Vodafone SIM and a UK Virgin PAYG SIM card in my (basic) phone.

Is it possible to get a PAYG SIM on a Greek network? If I moved to Crete permanently, which is looking distinctly possible, I would be a very light phone user and it would seem to be a waste of money paying for a Greek mobile phone contract. I'm looking to buy a Motorola Moto G5 Dual Sim.

Tim

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:55 pm

Hi Tim,
Yes I believe you can do this, as I have a cheap PAYG handset with a Greek SIM (though I'm sure you could just buy the SIM without a handset) and I just top it up online after setting up a Vodafone Greece account (no contract needed.) Happy to give you the details over a couple of Alfa beers next time you are out!
M.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:51 pm

Yes you can , I to have cheep 20 euros hand set bought from Vodaphone and a pay as you go sim from WIND , In my village there is hardly any mobile network , vodaphone some times in the street out side the house , cosmote only on the roof , Wind in one part of the kitchen ...maybe if I upgraded the hardware I might get a better signal , but I very rarely make phone calls so a smartphone get very little use apart from the occasional call from the shop to my partner at home "have we got any any beans/apples/coffee or whatever ?...one of the great things about this life is not always being on the phone ....jeff

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:58 pm

Hi Mixos and Jeff

Thanks for that - another piece of my masterplan drops into place!

Beer sounds good. Fancy popping down to Sitia for a drink with us next summer, Jeff?

Tim

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:01 pm

Yep.... :D

filippos

Re:

Postby filippos » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:27 pm

Guy M wrote:The Vodaphone rep in Kalives used to be on the right side of the road to Armenoi, in a toy/ knicknack shop. The Germanos shop on the same road further out on the left does Cosmote. A UK phone is, of course, expensive. For international calls, get Skype, and either Skype direct or buy a Skype credit then you can call internationally to any phine at local rates (at least you can with wifi access)

The toy shop closed some time ago as did the Germanos shop several months ago.

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:49 pm

Yep.... :D

Great! Look forward to it. Just winter to get out of the way .... :(

Return to “General Discussion & News”