Hania Outdoor Markets

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
margarita

Hania Outdoor Markets

Postby margarita » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:03 pm

I know where the Saturday open air market is in Hania.

I understand there are markets on other days as well. Can anyone tell me which days and where?

Thank you,

Margarita

paulh

Postby paulh » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:57 pm

here's something i posted a while back when a similar question was asked elsewhere:-

This is the limited information I know on markets in Hania

Markets by my personal definitions come in 3 types :- 1)veg 2) underpants and handbags 3) a mix of 1 & 2

Monday in the streets behind the Prefecture buildings in Platea Eleftherias. Mainly 2 but a cross street of 1

Wednesday in the top end of Xepapa street (just to the west of Parko Kikloforias), Nearly all type 2

Thursday at the sea end of Monis Gonias near Nea Hora beach. Mainly 2

Saturday just inside the eastern old city walls on Minoos. Mainly type 1 but some type 2 right down at the sea/harbour end

There could well be other markets, this is a starter rather than a definitive list

paul

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:12 pm

underpants and handbags??! lol@paul

Add clothes, shoes, material, jewelery, tools etc etc.

There's also a Sunday market near Koumbe. Heading out of Hania on the Souda road, pass the main police station on the left, turn right at next traffic lights onto Gogoni st. and then first left. Follow this road for about 1km and you will come to the market.

By Paul's definition it's mostly type 2 - underpants and handbags :roll:

margarita

Postby margarita » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:11 pm

Thanks Paul & Caroline,

I like the sound of Paul's definition 2 with Caroline's additions.

When I've tried out some of the markets I'll post my impressions.

Margarita

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:30 pm

There's an article and photos (no underwear in sight :lol: but everything else) in the March Crete Gazette about the street markets. It also lists the days and locations of the Heraklion markets:
http://www.explorecrete.com/traditions/ ... arket.html

Meanwhile back in Hania some of the market locations are going to be changed due to complaints from local residents. A meeting of councillors will be held on the 16th March to decide which, and where they will be relocated to.

margarita

Postby margarita » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:18 pm

Thanks for that, Caroline.

If you find out information about the new locations will you be posting it here?

Pretty please!!

Margarita

margarita

Postby margarita » Tue May 08, 2007 8:52 am

paulh wrote:...Markets by my personal definitions come in 3 types :- 1)veg 2) underpants and handbags 3) a mix of 1 & 2........

........Saturday just inside the eastern old city walls on Minoos. Mainly type 1 but some type 2 right down at the sea/harbour end

There could well be other markets, this is a starter rather than a definitive list

paul

Paul,

We recently went to the Saturday market and only found the veg. The market had been changed since we were last there and we didn't have time to walk down to the 'underpants and handbags'.

At least we'll know which end to start from next time.

Carolina,

Any news on changes to the market locations?

I think I saw something in Haniotika Nea recently but my Greek wasn't up to reading it. The picture was of the market, but the text could have been about something entirely different.

margarita

paulh

Postby paulh » Tue May 08, 2007 9:37 am

I am told that "handbags and underpants" are now at the top end of the Saturday market not the harbour end. Its in what on other days is the pay parking on the opposite side of the road and apparently has been so for a while.

Return to “General Discussion & News”