Definative cat information sought

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
ipmcrete

Definative cat information sought

Postby ipmcrete » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:04 am

3 years ago, we were asked to care for a kitten that a holidaymaker had adopted. The deal was that all food, treatments and vet's bills would be paid by the person for the rest of the cat's life.
We are now being told by the adopter that the food we are feeding the cat is too much, both in money and quantity. The cat is mostly healthy, apart from genetic cat flu which requires a yearly vaccination. He is a good weight, and very active, as he was born ferral. We have 4 other cats, so segregation of foods is not practical. We currently feed our cats a food pouch each twice a day, and leave a bowl of bicuit down at all times.
Advice please on the following from the adopter:

I have discovered that the cat's total nutritional requirements would be met by 65 grams of Purina One per day. He does not require pouches on top of this amount.

If serving pouches, his dry food should be reduced to 45 grams a day where 1 pouch is served in addition.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:24 am

The cat food I use has a chart on the packet saying what to feed the cat per day based on its weight. Doesn't the one you use do the same?

Warwick

TweetTweet

Postby TweetTweet » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:34 am

I'm not sure there are any absolutes when it comes to how much food an animal needs. There are many variables.

I do think there is a tendency for many of us to over feed a bit. I see it as a bit mis-guided caring with no bad intention.

If it were me, I would get rid of the dry food altogether. By nature, cats are meat, muscle, hair and blood eaters but they tend to leave the offal. Carbohydrates are not part of a natural diet.

If you have neutered cats and do want to continue with some dry food, please try the slightly more expensive one that is (supposedly) made for neutered/spayed animals.

I would also cut down the pouches so that perhaps each cat had 75grams twice a day.

(Just my view) but I'm not sure a yearly vaccination for a cat that suffers from genetic cat 'flu (I think I know what you mean) would be useful.

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:49 pm

Hi ipm
What appalling manners!

I would be sorely tempted to tell the adopter that he's a cheeky b*s*a*d and to look after the damn cat himself.

Still, I suppose that's just me.
Tim

ipmcrete

Postby ipmcrete » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:47 am

Thank you Tim. My thoughts exactly.Mike

Rej

Postby Rej » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:45 pm

Mike, just feed the cat (you know you will anyway). Negotiate the best deal you can with the 'adopter' and, if you are a few cents out of pocket, write it off to experience. Life's too short.

moved 2 crete

Cat info

Postby moved 2 crete » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:27 pm

George the vet in Souda tells us, and we have 9 cats, that all cats have different tastes, and by our experience he is correct, we buy small frozen fish from Carrefore eaten by 3 of them and we buy rice and mix leftovers from our meals all mixed up for the rest of them supplemented with good quality mixed cat biscuits from our local pet shop in Tavronitis and occasional pouches from Lidl`s, they are all neutered and hunt outside but are house cats bar one, who will eat outside and not come inside until winter, George informs us that dry food has all the vitamins and minerals that are needed but must have adequate drinking water to stop dehydration. All are very healthy and fit, they were all bin cats except for the original 3, all accumulated over the 7 years we have lived here.
Dave H

Return to “General Discussion & News”