COST OF LIVING IN CRETE

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
evansmr1

COST OF LIVING IN CRETE

Postby evansmr1 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:46 pm

In the previous years a Part time Crete and UK Resident and contributor to this Forum posted his estimated costs of Owning property here and associated costs.
I criticised these as not being the norm. I was challenged to present my own costs, which now follow.
My wife and I own our own house which consists of 3 bedrooms, all en-suite, a Dining room, kitchen and lounge plus a large roof terrace with a store room. The 2 storey house was renovated from an old workshop and stable on the edge of a small village surrounded by Olive groves and farming land. We do not have a pool, the sea is only a short walk away.
In order to ensure that we live within our means I account for every cent that we spend using a simple spread sheet. The following is an accurate summary of our 2013 living costs.
We live an enjoyable life and do some entertaining, mainly in the summer, lots of BBQs. There is no way that we could live such a great life if we stayed in the UK. Our pensions would not have permitted it. In fact since moving here we manage to save a reasonable amount each year.
Our NHI was transferred to EKA. so we have no worries regarding medical help. We have both had to visit the Hospital and have nothing but praise for the treatment we received.

So here are my 100% accurate 2013 Accounts :

Utilities 1593
Made up of Water 109e;- Electrical 742e; Telephone/Internet 194e; and Mobile 548e
All Utilities were down except for water. Electrical by better management of window blinds during the Winter and Summer keeping heat in and heat out during the warmer months. We do not have air conditioning, we use Electric fans in all rooms. Winter when cold we use the under floor heating (manual setting) and not so cold an electric radiator.
telephone/Internet was lower than previous years by changing out provider as was our 2 mobiles again by changing the provider

Tax 200e
The House tax attached to the Electric bill

Car 1630e
All car expenses, fuel, servicing/repairs etc.

Groceries 3467e
This includes everything food wise , cleaning liquids and powders also Pet foods. We use local shops were possible and often look for reduced items and make use of some of the special offers, such as recently Persil at 50% off.
Leaving in a farming area we are privileged to be given Fruit and vegetables, eggs, Rabbit, goat on a fairly regular basis from our neighbours .

Others 955e
Tablets, the odd bus fare, house Insurance (very cheap), Wife's visit to the hair dresser, vet costs (2 visits). plant pots and the odd plant and accountant, new shoes for us both (sales)

Booze & Eats 2914e
We eat out on average twice a week and out at least twice just for drinks (coffee, booze, soft drinks at least once per week. Our visits take us to Tavernas, cafes and kafeneio. On the odd occasion to a more expensive Restaurant. We only eat local food. Often visiting our local Taverna and having so much meze that we do not need to order a meal or go home for a meal. It is so cheap to eat out. A recent example, my wife, myself and a friend met up at 6 pm at our local Taverna. The wife drank wine, my friend and myself raki. We left at 11 pm after 2 carafes of white wine, 7 carafes of raki plus two sent over to us by a Greek friend, 3 bottles of water, more meze than we could eat. the bill 15 euros. The wife and I usually eat and drink for 20 euros for the two of us. Plus the owner or his son often drives us home.

Renew 1542e
An expensive year, we had to buy a new washing machine, we had some electrical work carried out to our roof terrace and some minor alterations in our lounge. Plus a lot of external paint.

presents 648ePresents bought on line for our family in the UK plus the odd present for some of our neighbours

Total cost for the year 2013 = 12949e.
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magnaike

Clio

Postby Clio » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:56 pm

7 carafes of raki plus two sent over to us by a Greek friend,

Between two of you? Panagia mou. And I thought I could knock it back. Hope that was one of the nights when you got a lift home.

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:42 pm

evansmr1 wrote: ... and a friend ...
That's only 4½ each in 5 hours.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:08 pm

I never had a problem with the general concept of limiting alcohol intake. I even found the 48 units acceptable. It was always the "per week" bit that got me.

Warwick

Topdriller

Postby Topdriller » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:20 pm

Mike,

I'm guessing from the €200 property tax your renovated village house is compact and bijou rather than rambling and open plan? I'm also guessing there is no fire since you've no allocation for logs.

I looked at Brian C's costs and when it comes to groceries you and he are not miles apart ie Brian €4500 at the low end, you €3467. I'm guessing you reciprocate something when your neighbours give you a multitude of food on a regular basis?

Your electricity is heating and light and the €742 is very reasonable. This also reaffirms your property is perhaps smaller than the one Brian is accounting for.

In fact, if you remove rent / mortgage in Brian's list his basic costs come to €9441.

He includes the cost of buying the car in his additional costs whereas it's not clear if you have done this. Obviously the size of car and it's usage will put the price up accordingly.

He also has a €500 number for clothes. You and your wife obviously didn't buy anything but two pairs of shoes in 2013. Oh for a wife like that!!

Brian's costs also include visits to the dentist, expensive in my case since moving here, a pool, maintenance of same, Sky TV etc.

However, if you look at the areas you have detailed the difference is not that great.

I seem to recall someone stated they (2 people) lived over here on €8000 a year so by their standards you're a little profligate :-)

Jon
We need men who dream of things that never were.

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:55 pm

Topdriller wrote:..... you and he are not miles apart ie Brian €4500 at the low end, you €3467.
Mmmm. Only 23% less than Brian's low end figure.

Topdriller

Postby Topdriller » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:37 pm

Maybe Brian C. didn't figure for being fed by the neighbours? :-)

More seriously, Brian did say it depends on your diet and also whether you like to entertain at home as well as eat out. Follow a traditional Cretan diet and you might only eat meat once or twice a week. Others might wish something else. Also, and when eating out, not everyone would necessarily be content with nibbling on the meze.

Jon

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:59 pm

A few things struck me as a bit on the low side:

1 €194 for internet plus telephone seems very low but then to be fair €548 for mobile seems high. The combined cost is about the same as my own.

2 Electricity at €742. Mine is only around €590 BUT I have around €1,000 of heating costs on top of that, oil and logs. The €742 includes heating with electricity. I also don't normally use air-conditioning except for a few days per year when the temperature gets up to around 40 C.

3 €200 for property tax. I thought the lowest possible charge was €3 per sqm. That would suggest a house under 70 sqm. Nothing wrong with that but it sounds quite small for a house with three bedrooms with three en-suite bathrooms and separate living room, dinning room and kitchen? Mine, also situated on the edge of a village, has two bedrooms, one en-suite and the other with a separate bathroom, a combined living dining room and a separate kitchen. That is 110 sqm with a property tax around €420. I also have a council tax charge of €173 so an effective property tax of almost €600.

I think the other costs are too personal to make a comparison.

Topdriller wrote:...Also, and when eating out, not everyone would necessarily be content with nibbling on the meze.

Jon

I suppose it depends what you mean by nibbling on a Meze, Jon? Kick off with a plate of cheese pies, feta, meatballs, ham, cucumber and rusks, followed by a stack of marythopita, followed by a couple of large souvlaki and chips followed by a casserole of offal with bread to mop up the juices. All free; just pay for the drinks at normal village prices.

Warwick

Topdriller

Postby Topdriller » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:18 pm

Ah, I must have chosen the wrong village...! No real meze to speak of and definitely not free. I've enjoyed traditional meze in the back streets of Chania but again, it definitely wasn't free.

Jon

Ann McCallum

Postby Ann McCallum » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:19 pm

wow... you keep a good budget!

i am curious about the utilities. i live in a small stone home and pay roughly 80 euro per month deh. that would include taxes. i use the air conditioning in the summer but in the winter, no heating (from canada...lol!). so my question is what the heck are you doing to keep things so low... i would find it pretty much impossible... even if i didnt turn on the air conditioning. are taxes lower on your end... i am in agia?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:34 pm

I think he is only quoting the cost of the electricity on the DEH bill, Ann, not the total cost. My electric works out at about €50 per month but the total bill would be around €112 per month.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:56 pm

Kilkis wrote:.... to be fair €548 for mobile seems high ...
At that rate mine's like a molehill compared to Everest.

I use Vodafone P-A-Y-G and last week received a text from them saying if I don't top-up before the end of January I'll forfeit any outstanding credit. My previous top-up (€20) was about a year ago and I now have a bit over €9 left. Reluctantly, I bought another €10 of credit yesterday.

Our fixed line bill averages about €3 per bill on top of the standing charge. Most calls are made using Skype, usually to a fixed line and occasionally PC to PC.

My mobile is really smart: I can make calls, it shows time and date and, according to the book it incorporates a camera and (if I remember correctly) a calculator and some games.

Usually used to discover which emporium 'Er Indoors is plundering.

Roussa

Postby Roussa » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:35 pm

Wow, some of your amounts are really low.
I pay around € 180 for water (including some water for the flowers outside) and the electric heating made my DEH bill reach astronomous heights.

What are you eating when you don´t go out ? And you drink only water ?
If I assume you spend only € 40,- every week in tavernas and coffee shops that is already more than € 2000,- a year.

Well done for the accurate listing
:)

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:06 pm

Roussa wrote:Wow, some of your amounts are really low.
I pay around € 180 for water (including some water for the flowers outside)...

My water bill for 2013 is about €30 although I might have to pay a bit for agricultural water since I haven't paid anything since July 2012. That could add another €10.

Roussa wrote:...What are you eating when you don´t go out ? And you drink only water ?
If I assume you spend only € 40,- every week in tavernas and coffee shops that is already more than € 2000,- a year....

I think you have misunderstood two of his items. The €2,914 was ONLY for eating and drinking out. The rest of his food and drink is included in the €3,467 Groceries item.

Warwick

Roussa

Postby Roussa » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:15 pm

Kilkis wrote:I think you have misunderstood two of his items. The €2,914 was ONLY for eating and drinking out. The rest of his food and drink is included in the €3,467 Groceries item.

Warwick

Lol, yes I misread that ! Now it makes sense :)

But I now really wonder about the water bills. We are only 2 people with daily showers, the dishwasher and a washing machine and we use about the same amount of water that my parents use in their house with a small garden ( 90 to 120 cubic meters per year) So where are you saving so much on water ?

Return to “General Discussion & News”