COST OF LIVING IN CRETE

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
bettyboo

COST OF LIVING IN CRETE

Postby bettyboo » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:18 pm

Mike

When the new property tax came out I checked my electric bills and it showed 36 sq metres, the house is actually 102 sq m. For peace of mind and no complications when I come to sell or hand down the property I wanted it corrected, I didn't want to be paying any fines or back tax which could come to light now with all this new legalisation process when selling. (not just property tax but local community taxes)

I went to the appropriate planning office in Agios Nikolaos with my house plans showing the correct sq m, they took a copy and by my next electric bill had the corrections on it. It was surprisingly straight forward and hopefully prevent any hassle in future when time comes to sell .

evansmr1

House Tax

Postby evansmr1 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:30 pm

Many thanks for the info. Which office did you go to?.

I was directed to the one by the Olive Tree car park, opposite where the Village Police had their office.
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magnaike

bettyboo

COST OF LIVING IN CRETE

Postby bettyboo » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:40 pm

That's the one .

Brian c

Postby Brian c » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:58 pm

First off, apologies for not getting in here more often as I have had my hands full elsewhere. i.e. my e-mail was hacked, my bank account was hacked, my wife is going into hospital and not sure of recovery time, older relatives unwell, the 2 main computers in the house decided to give up the ghost within a month of each other, just bought a new car, and looking for a new house (downsizing) in Scotland. p.s. sods law, everything we find that we like, is bigger than the house we are in.

Anyway, just to clarify it was not myself that challenged Kilkis .
My figures are an average from around 150 plus contributors from all walks of life on Crete over 5 years (and a few from Corfu) and I do state that "it would appear that most couples do well on a figure of somewhere between 11,000 and 18,000euros" which Kilkis's figure of 12,949 falls into.

The figures are put together with a slant on the view of people like myself looking to make a permanent move to Crete, and to put paid to the myth that a couple can live over there "like lords" for 8000 a year, which 5 years ago, when we started the original post, was what a few websites looking to sell you a house were quoting, and neglecting to inform you of all the additional expenses.
so
yes! you probably can survive on 8000 a year but to have a decent lifestyle you are looking at 11,000 plus and if you want all the toys you will require nearer 30,000 ...plus

I don't know any way I can make that any clearer on the original post.

http://www.livingincrete.net/board/viewtopic.php?t=8094
dont sweat the small things

Return to “General Discussion & News”